The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX1!!! What say you GF1 lovers?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people noticing the similarity in styling to the Panasonic L1... I like it, just a shame they couldn't have included an eye level viewfinder ala Nex-7.

Cheers

Brian
I did, and the first thing I did when I saw the photo of it was to place my L1 next to my monitor to compare. If the GX1 had a viewfinder, I would have loved to have one, but without one I'm out. Pity, because it's much better looking than the G3, and I could need a small body.

Not impressed... no built-in EVF and no articulated LCD.. not to mention the resolution of the LCD.. no focus peaking.... the entire thing just seems to be an afterthought for those who embraced the GF1 due to its form factor and external controls.

The biggest plus seems to be the improved AF speed.... that's about it.

Diane B

I will say there is a difference in IQ between my GF1/G1 and my G3 and the ability to use higher ISOs is a decided plus. GX1 should be about the same so that's reason enough for some. I have no interest without integrated EVF and tilt LCD and I'm not as opposed to the "looks" of the G3 as others I guess. Its very nice in hand, doesn't seem bigger, maybe even less "tall" than GF1 with aux EVF which mine always sports, and I like the smaller but "enough" grip than the G1. So I'm not even thinking of adding the GX1 but for those that want the same GF1 form and the better IQ and better EVF, even having to add it, the GX1 is a possibility.

It will be interesting to see how it sells. There are other options these days.

henningw

Not interested in this one. My finder for the GF1 came off a number of times, and twice I didn't think I'd find it again. I also don't want a touch screen that I can't flip over. It's not enough smaller than the G3 to matter, and with the viewfinder it isn't at all smaller.

The G3 and GH2 do very well for me right now. I'll wait for a truly upgraded body, hopefully with (among other things) faster operation and a significantly upgraded buffer.

Henning

C

curious80

I think GX1 became a victim of the rumor hype :) In reality GX1 is the missing GF1 successor and it completely makes sense in that capacity. It gets the improved sensor and improved AF and an option to use an improved EVF compared to what GF1 had. A good package for those who want an update to their GF1. GF2 and GF3 didn't fit that role very well but GX1 does.

The fact that the rumors guys chose to call it names like "GF Pro" or speculated that it will be a NEX7 competitor is probably what set the wrong expectations. Panasonic may or may not have a NEX7 type camera in the works but GX1 is not that camera folks. Plus we have to keep in mind that unlike Sony, Panasonic also has G3 and GH2 so there is not as much room for yet another camera with built-in viewfinder.

Tim

I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people noticing the similarity in styling to the Panasonic L1... I like it, just a shame they couldn't have included an eye level viewfinder ala Nex-7.

Cheers

Brian
And yet another +1... I would have been happy for them to dump the inbuilt flash if that gave it enough room. Sure the G3 is there for inbuilt EVF but the GX1 could have been something akin to to the X100 (minus OFV) but with changeable lens. Something many many have asked for.

A

antphot

With a GF1, you can do more things than with a 10 years old Leica. So I'll keep my gf 1, forget this new GX and focus my interest on the research of beautiful lenses. I think we are in a consumerist position and with the crisis we must just enjoy luckily the things we have ...

C

cosinaphile

i think itsthe best looking panny yet . if it had a vf it would have been a nex 7 x 100 killer

so of course they didnt do it

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With a GF1, you can do more things than with a 10 years old Leica. So I'll keep my gf 1, forget this new GX and focus my interest on the research of beautiful lenses. I think we are in a consumerist position and with the crisis we must just enjoy luckily the things we have ...
Which "beautiful" lenses for m43 ????

ptomsu

Workshop Member
my count would start with the Olympus 45 f1.8 include the Panasonic 20mm and then any number of legacy lenses
Knowing both of these lenses - well they are good glass, definitely better than all the zooms for m43, but FAR AWAY from being great! As the longer I think about all this m43 stuff the more I come to the conclusion it is a nice toy, but not really destined for top results.

pellicle

Knowing both of these lenses - well they are good glass, definitely better than all the zooms for m43, but FAR AWAY from being great! As the longer I think about all this m43 stuff the more I come to the conclusion it is a nice toy, but not really destined for top results.
well I was only putting the m4/3 because I was replying to you, the original poster didn't put that criteria in, he's chasing 'beautiful' lenses.

something interesting I read some time ago on lenses
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/m-43.shtml

led me to consider that there are reasons for this which are essentially about magnification (bringing me back to still having a reason to own full frame which has less magnification)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
well I was only putting the m4/3 because I was replying to you, the original poster didn't put that criteria in, he's chasing 'beautiful' lenses.

something interesting I read some time ago on lenses
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/m-43.shtml

led me to consider that there are reasons for this which are essentially about magnification (bringing me back to still having a reason to own full frame which has less magnification)
I am going back to FF again for main photography! Especially after I did not get the lenses I was waiting for from m43, which I easily can buy from the likes as Canon and Nikon and even Sony today - no waiting, just buy and enjoy .....

M43 will stay as P&S but even there I doubt forever, as XZ1 or Canon S100 are very nice substitutes for m43 already - AND much more compact.