The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need help with tight OM to m4/3s adapters

turbines

I have 4 OM adapters from three separate vendors. The last two were from Rainbow. All of my Zuiko lens require excessive force to attach the lens and some will not turn far enough to latch. In one case I destroyed the bayonet end of the adapter trying to get a OM 50mm lens back off. Third party lenses will attach and latch but I have some Tokina in OM mount that require more that what I consider normal torque to attach the lens in place. I have purchased a number of other adapters from Rainbow and had no problems. When I wrote them about this problems they only told me the following:

"If the adapter is too tight, it can be adjusted to fit the lens. There are 3 "gaps" inside the adapter, which are used to control the tightness of the adapter. When the "gaps: are widened, the adapter will be more tight When the "gaps: are narrowed, the adapter will be more less tight. If it is too tight, please can use a tool to push the gaps from the back slightly, the adapter will be less tight."

Does anyone grasp what they are telling me to do to correct this?

kds315

Sorry, I really can't, I use Novoflex and am very happy with their high quality. I guess what you experience is the logical consequence of low cost products unfortunately: very wide tolerances (too loose or too tight) which may even vary between batches of the same product.

turbines

Yes the Novoflex and CV adapters are HQ but way too pricey IMHO. I have over 40 adapters all of which have been manufactured in China. Honestly, the only quality control issues I've ever experienced has been with these 4 OM and several C mount adapters. Tonight I will disassemble one of the RB adapters and see If I can figure out the puzzle.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had an OM adapter that was too loose. Made in China of course, but I went back to the camera store, and they fixed it. If you bought it on the internet, you just have to ask the internet for help... which is what you're doing. Yes, I see everything clearly now :)

If you unscrew it from the lens side (mine has three screws), mine seems to have a part inside that can be rotated to increase or decrease the "gap" (mine only has one gap). I guess the gap itself isn't significant, but only shows the position of some rotating part of the inside that is used to adjust the "lips" that hold the lens.

Sorry for not being very clear, but my technical abilities are somewhat limited (which is why I buy stuff like this at a camera shop to start with).

pellicle

I have 4 OM adapters from three separate vendors. The last two were from Rainbow. All of my Zuiko lens require excessive force to attach the lens and some will not turn far enough to latch.\
Does anyone grasp what they are telling me to do to correct this?
I'm not sure I do, but think I might. Please take a look at this and get back to me with which type of mount spring you have

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/11/micro-43-om-adaptors.html

this:

or this:

from there I can perhaps suggest some options ...
:)

turbines

These last 2 adapters I received from RB were manufactured by Fotasy and the adjustable slots resemble what is shown in the first example.

They are BTY not m4/3s but rather NEX adapters. I tried some of the Fotasy M4/3s adapters for OM and although they are tighter than I'd like but they are usable.The gap in both of the NEX adapters were quite wide and needed to be compressed or decreased to relieve the amount of force needed turn on to adapter. I was able to accomplish that but still afterward none of the Zuikos will latch even when turned on as far as they will go.

It looks like this might be more common than I thought. Jinfinance has posted some pictures with their ad showing a technique to adjust the gaps. Scroll to the last picture on this page. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM-...753?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e28a20d1

Thank you everyone for helping me sort this out.

Last edited:

pellicle

It looks like this might be more common than I thought. Jinfinance has posted some pictures with their ad showing a technique to adjust the gaps. Scroll to the last picture on this page. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM-...753?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e28a20d1
OH Kay ... looks like the butterfly method is less common than the "cut tang" I'd still recommend giving that inside a polish with a little bit of emery paper on flat surface (NB take chromed section off adaptor and polish the inside as per my blog post to smooth that inside edge down and reduce its friction on the lens)