The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

At this point, I'd avoid Olympus products

cjlacz

For some it is maybe not boycotting Olympus products but simply that they lost trust and sympathy for such a company and therefore will by rather other vendors products. I would have full understanding for that!
Trust and sympathy? Sony lost nearly as much money in a single year and they can't seem to keep customer data safe after being hacked numerous times on the PlayStation network this year. Their are getting eaten by Apple in the mobile gaming market. The CEO admits he's not in control of the electronics side of the company. Where are all the consumers avoiding Sony products?

I'm with Graham on this. The executives need to be thrown in prison. Investors need to be confident the numbers they are releasing are correct. For consumers nothing has really changed. The only worrisome point is the short term, but luckily the stock price seems to be recovering and that's a helpful sign.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well some good news: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...quit-before-meeting-with-ousted-woodford.html

Assuming that they avoid delisting they seem like a great investment to me because that stock has doubled since Nov 11th. (I work for a company with similar woes btw and have seen it peak and plummet in a similar manner but the swings have been similar in scale too - there's money to be made on inherently successful companies if you can see through the c$$p).

I do think though that there needs to more drastic action for those involved - losing a pinky finger isn't going to cut it either btw! Killing 80% of the value in a (now) successful company through fraudulent business practices to hide the ill advised investment strategies of the past should be something that needs punishment beyond retirement. Let's hope we see something happen. It might also be good to see corporate Japan wake up to more open business disclosure (unlikely but we can hope I guess!).

Full disclosure: I bought an E-P3 outfit this weekend to replace the G3 that I have no love for. Love the Olympus 12/2 & 45/1.8 lenses too but my Panasonic G3 has been one small step away from being hit with a large hammer! Great that it does just about everything but confusing as hell to use at times because it does EVERYTHING and has a touch screen LCD that seems to have a mind of its own! Also it seems more "digital" in it's image rendering too IMHO. (Maybe I'm just missing my M9 and have gotten used to even the confusion of the workings of my X100 - which has great image quality too btw!). Time to try the Olympus instead.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It is rather getting confusing when some mix the their preferences for certain brands which are of course valid for everyone, with economical issues and problems like Olympus has them currently.

Further I could not care less about the stock market but I care about a sane company and sane company structures, which currently is not the case with Olympus. And what makes it even worse was not there the past years and was artificially hidden. Such practices inside a company reflect to other groups in the company and this was definitely not stopping at the camera division.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I really doubt that this has anything to do with the camera division or endoscope group - it was a corporate bad decision to play in markets they had no business being in and losing their shorts while they were at it.

You know, we're just not going to agree are we? Let's just leave it at that.