The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a weather sealed m43 body

pellicle

Hi

I see that Olympus has released a weather sealed lens:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/14/olympus1250EZ

which looks quite desirable (taking into account some of the negatives) and reasonably priced. But it occurs to me that (unless I've missed it) there is not a compatible body which could go the distance with it.

Does this mean that Oly may release one?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I wish Olympus all the luck to do this, although I do not believe this to happen anymore.

Hauxon

I wish Olympus all the luck to do this, although I do not believe this to happen anymore.
Why? Because of the Olympus scandal? To me it looks like Olympus R&D is doing all the right things and this trouble might just get them even more focused.

Godfrey

Hi

I see that Olympus has released a weather sealed lens:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/14/olympus1250EZ

which looks quite desirable (taking into account some of the negatives) and reasonably priced. But it occurs to me that (unless I've missed it) there is not a compatible body which could go the distance with it.

Does this mean that Oly may release one?
I choose to remain optimistic. I'd rather not see Olympus optical products cease to exist, even if I'm only rarely using them anymore. I hope they do produce a "Pen Pro" body soon.

The new lens looks grand for video work. Although many are being noisome about its speed (and I also am generally not all that enamored of zooms or slow mid-range zooms for still work), one of the problems I've seen and experienced myself in daylight video work is using too large an aperture such that the exposure time per frame is too short. This makes a video feel choppy, you really want to have an exposure time about 1/50 sec max for a 24 fps video.

So making a video-optimized lens that's slower for daylight work keeps it small and handy (look at the bulk of some of the FAST zooms for this format in the video world, and the price!), and using fast primes for those key scene moments when you want the short DoF (and using a deep ND filter to cut the light so the exposure time stays where you want it) makes a lot of sense to me.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Why? Because of the Olympus scandal? To me it looks like Olympus R&D is doing all the right things and this trouble might just get them even more focused.
Not only because of the scandal, but even more because they were already not able to bring their ideas to the street in better times and now with all that financial issues involved I fear they will face even more issues.

Their engineering (optical engineering) seems to be pretty tough so, which is the positive aspect.

Again I wish them all the best!