The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Better closeup with the Oly 45

greypilgrim

Just a little tidbit that seems to work nicely. I am using the 37mm to 52mm lens hood from lensbaby on my Oly 45mm. I put my Canon 500D on the front, and I get a nice closeup. It is looking somewhere around a 1:2...

I need to get out and shoot with that combo... My tests in and around the house look positive. Hopefully soon.

Doug

pellicle

being a cheapskate I reckon I'm doing ok with an Olympus 50mm f1.8 lens on extension tubes. This is 36mm of extension and the flower is 1cm wide

P1010985 by aquinas_56, on Flickr

This is uncropped only resized by flickr (taken JPG too)

Happy Macroing :)

and Merry Christmas

greypilgrim

being a cheapskate I reckon I'm doing ok with an Olympus 50mm f1.8 lens on extension tubes. This is 36mm of extension and the flower is 1cm wide

P1010985 by aquinas_56, on Flickr

This is uncropped only resized by flickr (taken JPG too)

Happy Macroing :)

and Merry Christmas
No argument with the 50. I have a number of different options for macro myself (mostly involving nikkors, extensions rings, etc). I just thought I'd post this option as there have been concerns regarding the rather anemic close focusing of the Oly 45 as well as folks trying to decide between the Panny 45 MAcro and the Oly. This just gives another option.

Doug

pellicle

No argument with the 50. .. I just thought I'd post this option as there have been concerns regarding the rather anemic close focusing of the Oly 45 as well as folks trying to decide between the Panny 45 MAcro and the Oly. This just gives another option.
sure ... I must confess that I wasn't entirely sure what you were suggesting when you said:
I am using the 37mm to 52mm lens hood from lensbaby on my Oly 45mm. I put my Canon 500D on the front, and I get a nice closeup. It is looking somewhere around a 1:2...
I understood about the hood, but the other stuff about the Canon 500D was a bit confusing for me at least.

pellicle

PS: I keep justifying to myself that I need a 45 macro ... but am tight and allocate those funds to other projects (like the bathroom renovation)

greypilgrim

sure ... I must confess that I wasn't entirely sure what you were suggesting when you said:

I understood about the hood, but the other stuff about the Canon 500D was a bit confusing for me at least.
Ohh, so the hood also acts as a 52mm step up ring, so I can use all my 52mm filters with the lens now (I also have a 46 --> 52mm step up ring on my Panny 20mm). The Nikkors I use with my kit and the 45-200 also use 52mm filters, so I am all set.

The Canon 500D is a diopter or close up filter if you would; a high quality one like the Nikon 3T and 4T. So, This is a poor man's way to turn my Oly 45mm into a close up. I screw on the Canon 500D, and I have what I want.

So, If I want to go light on my kit, the 20, the 45, and I don't need an extra lens to get closeup because I have the 500D for the 45. Someday, the oly 12mm will complete that ultralight kit (someday :)).

http://www.canon-reviews.com/reviews/canon-500d-close-up-lens

Doug