The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this lens possible/practical/advisable on,,,

GerryM

Hi,
Brand new to this forum and M43. I have a G1/14-42 on the way and am wondering about using my Tokina 12-24, F4 (for my D200) on it. Is this a workable thing? I have 24, 28, 35, 50 and 75-150 Zuiko's, but no wide angles. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Gerry

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It will work with an F-mount adapter, but like most modern F-mount lenses, I assume that it doesn't have an aperture ring (correct me if I'm wrong), so you'll only be able to use it at max aperture. You'll get a relatively useful focal length range of 24-48mm eqv., and corner sharpness will probably be better than on your Nikon, but anything about image quality will only be guesswork until you've tried it.

I would buy a cheap adapter to try it out.

pellicle

Hi
wondering about using my Tokina 12-24, F4 (for my D200) on it. Is this a workable thing?
it will be restricted to manual focus only and won't have aperture control in any way. I always found the 12-24 on my EOS 20D to be quite a lump, so it'd be even more of a lump on the m4/3

my advice would be get either of the 9-18 zooms. Either the dedicated m4/3 one if you're sure you'll never go and get a 4/3 or the 4/3 one with adaptor. I used mine on my G1 (the ZD 9-18) and quite liked it (was a bit slow to AF but the manual 'focus by wire' instantly started the viewfinder magnification so was great.

for instance all the wides in this set were taken with the 9-18 ZD lens

vaticanInterior by obakesan, on Flickr

it did also tempt me to pick up a Oly 410 as another compact camera too ... but that's another story

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have to agree with Pellicle here. Another option is of course the rather expensive but excellent Panasonic 7-14mm. Here's a photo I took with it at 7mm using the GH1 a few weeks ago. I'm holding the camera in my right hand while you can see part of my left arm to the left in the photo.

Remember also that the Tokina isn't much wider than the m4/3 kit lenses, and the relatively inexpensive Panasonic 14-45mm, which also includes OIS, is an excellent lens too.

Last edited:

ReeRay

Having instigated the thread relating to the Panasonic 7-14 I finally took the plunge and this week bought the lens. it's quite simply amazing. Tack sharp, beautiful colours and worth every cent.