The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 body as lens holder?

ampguy

Last BF, older 1st gen m4/3 bodies were hovering around $150 or so.

I think that if they get down to about $100 or so, I'd like to pick some up to just use as rear lens cap, and in an emergency in case I run out of film.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look out for?

I've heard the Oly's have better OOC JPG quality than the Panasonics? I'd definitely use in JPG mode (when powered up ;) )

pellicle

Last BF, older 1st gen m4/3 bodies were hovering around $150 or so.
last I looked OM lens caps were about $2, so that may be the better option

I've heard the Oly's have better OOC JPG quality than the Panasonics? I'd definitely use in JPG mode (when powered up ;) )
rear lens caps also don't use battery, so unless you keep yoru lens holder charged it will also take about as good a shot as your m4/3 body when used as a lens holder.

Alternatively you may find that using a m4/3 camera as a camera may also come close to the 35mm film I'm assuming you're using. While black and white neg is pretty darn good from a few other perspectives I reckon that the m4/3 digital will give it a run for your money.

I'm still trying to get a roll of E6 processed, and in this part of the world I have to post it to the capital city of the state because in this town of 700,000 no one processes E6 anymore (go figure)

(ps, prefer the feel and operation of the G1 to almost any other m4/3 camera, but of course YMMV)

ampguy

Well, every photo I've ever seen from a G1 looks like crap compared to either film, a NEX, or an M8, so the G1 is out, unless it's like free.

I don't need an OM lens cap, I need an LTM/M lens cap ;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Personally I've found that the Olympus E-Px series produce much better OOC Jpgs than the Panasonic range. I've just found the G's too "digital" for my liking personally.

pellicle

Well, every photo I've ever seen from a G1 looks like crap compared to either film, a NEX, or an M8, so the G1 is out, unless it's like free.
should pretty much rule out the other ones then too, as its not "light years" difference between any of them ... unless a cigarette paper thickness of quality difference transforms your view from CRAP to briliant ...

the G1 is going cheap ... especially compared to the M8
well, ya should a stated that in the beginning then :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

What Pellicle said. Just buy the superior NEX and let those of us with inferior quality requirements live with the crap :angel:

Godfrey

A package of two body and three lens back caps for Leica M-bayonet is $14 from jinfinance on EBay. With your regard for the quality of images mFT can produce, you'll likely get better photos with them.

I use an M4-2 body as my lens cap, and take most photos with a Ricoh GXR-M.