The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GH2 for video

MRfanny

the original reason for the upped bitrate was because of the macroblocking artifacts that appear on high detailed scenes when you quickly pan or move. this was due to the AVCHD being a variable codec so when nothing happens in the scene it drops its bitrate for efficiency sake to minimise file size, but when you suddenly move it gets ambushed and doesn't have enough bitrate to recover and it produces "mud" ugly smearing of the footage.

a quick test to see for yourself is to shoot a bunch of trees/leaves/foliage on the stock firmware then whip it. more evident in the lower bitrate formats like SH and FSH that are only 17Mb stock. real life scenarios would be kids bday parties, sporting events, motorsports, anything with explosive movements really. so if you know you are not going to be filming anything like this then you will probably be happy with the stock firmware.

the added bonus of higher bitrate is the retention in detail of the image, IQ just simply gets a whole lot better. You will not clearly see this on any youtube or vimeo clip unless you download the original files because it all gets re-encoded.

Another thing to consider is do you film more in 720 or 1080, 24p or 25p(ntsc or pal).

And yes, the high ISO video is amazing, especially in black and white. 12,800 anyone? lol link at the bottom of the link for more patching info

http://www.eoshd.com/content/5248/latest-gh2-hack-unlocks-stunning-iso-12800-with-film-like-grain

uestine - I am currently trying out the Sanity patch which has 720 and 1080i at 44Mb (although i think 1080i might need to be dropped down alittle in order to work on slower cards) and 24p Cinema at 66Mb until i get a faster card.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Quite confusing which hack to use and how to work. I hacked my GH1 and that seemed simpler.

MRfanny

Quite confusing which hack to use and how to work. I hacked my GH1 and that seemed simpler.
it is the same process if you are already familiar, you just need the latest ptools and old firmware. there are just more people testing and providing their own working settings. just a matter of choosing one which is right for you, and i guess thats the hard part. =)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>just a matter of choosing one which is right for you, and i guess thats the hard part. =)

Very much so. Would like a proven middle ground recipe.