The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'll take it... make that two

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hmmm - I'd say that Leica's MF lenses are up to the digital requirements of today - and so are most of the Contax, Zeiss, . . . there are lots!

However, As Vivek says - I would expect a rather more solid and satisfying version of the GH-2

Olympus aren't going to make a full frame camera right now (why would they?)
I agree there are exceptions of MF lenses, which are pretty good even for digital - mainly agree these are Leica M and Zeiss lenses.

Having said that, even Leica shows continually that newer designs of their M glass are better suited for digital as their older counterparts.

But from the Canon, Nikon and other vendors range I do not see this great compatibility of their old MF designs for digital. Especially I can speak for Olympus, where I shot the E5 (superb camera) with the 14-35 and the 35-100 and all the old MF lenses I tried were nice to use and produced interesting results, but did not even come close to what the new digital designs could achieve.

Further I think the OM-D will be a m43 camera and I do NOT see Olympus really coming up with an E-system like lens lineup for m43. And please - do not start discussing adapters here, they really suck. So I cannot see where this new "pro m43" system should come even close to what the E system could deliver and could have even better delivered if Olympus only had concentrated on further developing the E system instead of only fooling around on the m43 trail of their cameras. Really too bad decisions which were obviously made already some years ago.

So yes, the OM-D might become a nice to have camera, but for sure not a real replacement for the E system.

V

Vivek

There have been some very unsubstantiated rumors of a 36mm sq sensored live view (mirrorless) cam either from Samsung or Olympus or both.

In any event, I look for function. If I want nostalgic stuff with knobs, I have plenty to look at.

jonoslack

And please - do not start discussing adapters here, they really suck.
Oh!
I've just bought 2 adapters - I rather like classic lenses on modern cameras . . . However they do need to have one of two things (both is best)

Character
Quality

As for nostalgic stuff with knobs . . I think Vivek might be talking about me.

V

Vivek

Unfortunately, you are not the only one fond of knobs, Jono. There is a whole retro craze with crippled new cameras from pretty much every manufacturer- including Samsung.

Any of your adapters offer movements? It is better to use monster lenses on petite bodies with tiny sensors with some added function, no?

jonoslack

So yes, the OM-D might become a nice to have camera, but for sure not a real replacement for the E system.
but enough of being flippant Peter - I do agree - way back when, with the advent of the E1 and the pro-line lenses Olympus had a jewel in their hand, and they basically threw it away. To be honest I think it was the sensor design which let them down - the lenses were fabulous, the camera handling was fabulous . . . . .

incidentally, as an aside, did you know that the Sony A77 is exactly the same size as an Olympus E1?

jonoslack

Unfortunately, you are not the only one fond of knobs, Jono. There is a whole retro craze with crippled new cameras from pretty much every manufacturer- including Samsung.
No Vivek - it was you that said you like knobs! I was just implying that I was old with knobs . . . .I don't think i have any of these retro cameras (surely the M9 doesn't count as retro)- certainly I wouldn't call the NEX7 retro (would you?). I found the Fuji X100 to be a triumph of style over function, and I'm pretty sure that the new X1 will be the same.

Any of your adapters offer movements? It is better to use monster lenses on petite bodies with tiny sensors with some added function, no?
Well, the hawks factory adaptor for Sony E with the helicoid is fantastically good fun - focus a noctilux down to 25cm (Oh Yes) focus a 28 summicron down to 10cm!

V

Vivek

I was actually saying that if I wanted knobs.. anyway..

Most lenses, with the exception of the Leica RF ones do the close focus focusing quite easily. A lot of the modern ones also have additional corrections for such close ranges as well. :)

Didn't Leica make a variety of close up accessories for the M a long time ago?

NOOKY, SOOKY and such?

jonoslack

I was actually saying that if I wanted knobs.. anyway..
I think that perhaps discussion of knobs should end here.:ROTFL:

Most lenses, with the exception of the Leica RF ones do the close focus focusing quite easily. A lot of the modern ones also have additional corrections for such close ranges as well. :)

Didn't Leica make a variety of close up accessories for the M a long time ago?

NOOKY, SOOKY and such?
They did make them, but they were a paint to use - the joy of the Hawks adapter is that you just spin the (nicely damped) mount, and you can focus your M lenses much closer than any other M lenses I've found (I agree that the contax and zeiss lenses focus closer,but it's usually only down to 1/2 metre). Spin it back and you can focus to infinity.

What's interesting is how different lenses are different - the 28 'cron really does almost behave like a macro.

V

Vivek

I missed the possible connotations the word knob could elicit! :eek:

I agree the Hawk stuff is quite convenient. You have a built in level gauge (NEX-7) and there is no need for extra parallax correction aids.

jonoslack

I missed the possible connotations the word knob could elicit! :eek:
Ah! Yes! I thought that one better stop running!
I agree the Hawk stuff is quite convenient. You have a built in level gauge (NEX-7) and there is no need for extra parallax correction aids.
Exactly - good fun
Here is a shot with the WATE, at 16mm on the NEX7 with the Hawks adapter. No cropping (I've adjusted the white balance a little you'll be please to hear!).

Lighting is by a horrid low energy lamp - and my computer screen.

The dirt on the keyboard is real, but of course, the wine in the glass is not.

RichA

Well, as usual, the next Panasonic camera, the GH-3 is the one to look forward to.

The GH-2 is a superb tool!
Only if you like paying $1100 for a body about as good as a Nikon D3100. Panasonic needs to move to metal.

RichA

That was the OMG thread about, Jorgen. The "OMG" comes from an actual Olympus teaser/invitation.

It looks like it (OMD) is a retro looking but pricier GH-2.:(
Apparently, $1100 or so for the new body. Cheaper than the new Fuji anyway. But if it's anything like an OM-1, then it will be worth it. I would love this, I can get away from Panasonic and their lack of in-body stabilization.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would love this, I can get away from Panasonic and their lack of in-body stabilization.
... and their weird battery policy, which was what stopped me from buying the GH2.

Seems that we have two threads going on about that. Sorry about that. Better to continue on the OMG thread?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
but enough of being flippant Peter - I do agree - way back when, with the advent of the E1 and the pro-line lenses Olympus had a jewel in their hand, and they basically threw it away. To be honest I think it was the sensor design which let them down - the lenses were fabulous, the camera handling was fabulous . . . . .

incidentally, as an aside, did you know that the Sony A77 is exactly the same size as an Olympus E1?
No I did not know that the A77 is similar size as E1 ...

Are you trying to convince me for a Sony A77? I am not so resistant you should know .... :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Oh!
I've just bought 2 adapters - I rather like classic lenses on modern cameras . . . However they do need to have one of two things (both is best)

Character
Quality

As for nostalgic stuff with knobs . . I think Vivek might be talking about me.
Sure Jono,

I should have been more specific!

I certainly do agree that adapters to use Leica MF glass in manual way are a great thing!

What I wanted to refer to was adapters which allow to use E system glass on m43 - all I tried really sucked! Very badly!

So my hope is gone to see any meaningful reuse of expensive E system pro glass on any future m43 pro camera. Unfortunately! And this was also one of the reasons I stepped out of both - E system as well as m43. No hope for a really functional future in sight.