The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'll take it... make that two

bensonga

Ok, I'm clueless....what's this all about Jorgen? That camera/lens combo sure looks good.....almost "classic" looking.

:confused: in Alaska......

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Somebody photoshopped an OM-1, making an m4/3 camera out of it. The OM-1 was my main camera for 30 years. I wouldn't mind a digital version :)

pellicle

yet another OM fan here ... I was initially "yess" then saw it wasn't so.

I still use my OM-10 but my OM1 was stolen ... sigh

always dreamed of being able to afford the OM-4, now that I can there's hardly any point :)

jonoslack

I'm right with you on this one Jorgen.
lovely concept . . . surely someone can do it?
an FM2d would be an acceptable substitute!

Amin

It would be an incredibly interesting and compelling move by Olympus (or Nikon) to drop a 35mm sensor in one of these old manual SLR models. Make mine a digital OM-2N or FM3A though. I like me some aperture-priority autoexposure :).

It can't be that hard, and there would be none of those pesky issues about custom microlenses and the like. They could drop a 5D Classic sensor in there, and people would buy it in droves.

RichA

Unfortunately, it's not for real :(

Reason it will never happen, take a look a the price of a Leica M9, then divide it by two, and you've have roughly the price of an OM1D. When The OM-1n went out of production in the 1980's, the body was costing Olympus over $400.00 to make. The cheap plastic bodies of today and the relatively cheap magnesium cast bodies of the higher-end DSLR's are much cheaper to fabricate than the brass and chrome and steel bodies of the past.

Amin

Reason it will never happen, take a look a the price of a Leica M9, then divide it by two, and you've have roughly the price of an OM1D. When The OM-1n went out of production in the 1980's, the body was costing Olympus over $400.00 to make. The cheap plastic bodies of today and the relatively cheap magnesium cast bodies of the higher-end DSLR's are much cheaper to fabricate than the brass and chrome and steel bodies of the past.
So then make it a little bit less nice! The build quality of a Bessa R3A suits me fine, and that is a current production, very reasonably priced camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So then make it a little bit less nice! The build quality of a Bessa R3A suits me fine, and that is a current production, very reasonably priced camera.
Isn't the Bessa based on the same body as the OM 2000 and the Nikon FM10, and the Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 and probably some more cameras that I haven't heard about?

Godfrey

Isn't the Bessa based on the same body as the OM 2000 and the Nikon FM10, and the Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 and probably some more cameras that I haven't heard about?
It's based on the same shutter assembly and film transport subframe, but the rest of the body was reworked for the rangefinder and shorter mount register required for LTM and M-bayonet lens mounts. All of these SLR cameras were built by Cosina for their respective brand manufacturer*as an OEM, a cost cutting maneuver for the very bottom end of the film SLR market.

The OM-1n was a very nice camera and I enjoyed mine quite a lot, but in the end I preferred the Nikon FM (1977 intro ?) and then FM2n of about ten years later much more. They were much more robustly built, particularly the FM2n. I had a pair of FMs and then an FM2n from 1981 until 2001 ... never a single problem with them.

G

Tesselator

I think we could do it tho! It probably wouldn't take too much machining to insert and rewire a E-PM1 to fit inside the OM1 film body!

Oh great! Yet another project I'll never start! Jorgen... You weenie! :D

V

Vivek

That was the OMG thread about, Jorgen. The "OMG" comes from an actual Olympus teaser/invitation.

It looks like it (OMD) is a retro looking but pricier GH-2.:(

jonoslack

That was the OMG thread about, Jorgen. The "OMG" comes from an actual Olympus teaser/invitation.

It looks like it (OMD) is a retro looking but pricier GH-2.:(
Well yes - not sure what you were expecting . . I suppose it might have been an SLT :eek:

Still, nothing wrong with the GH-2, and we all like a pretty camera . . . and it's weather sealed - pity the lens doesn't sound like a competitor for the gorgeous 12-60 Zuiko (still one of my all time favourite lenses).

V

Vivek

Well, as usual, the next Panasonic camera, the GH-3 is the one to look forward to.

The GH-2 is a superb tool!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If this OM-D or however it is called would have a FF sensor, then it would be good. But that would also mean a new mount, as I guess nobody would really like to do just manual photography today, plus all the MF lenses - no matter which vendor - are just not up to digital requirements of today. So this would mean another lens line from Olympus ....

.... come on, I think this is just wishful thinking :confused:

jonoslack

If this OM-D or however it is called would have a FF sensor, then it would be good. But that would also mean a new mount, as I guess nobody would really like to do just manual photography today, plus all the MF lenses - no matter which vendor - are just not up to digital requirements of today. So this would mean another lens line from Olympus ....

.... come on, I think this is just wishful thinking :confused:
Hmmm - I'd say that Leica's MF lenses are up to the digital requirements of today - and so are most of the Contax, Zeiss, . . . there are lots!

However, As Vivek says - I would expect a rather more solid and satisfying version of the GH-2

Olympus aren't going to make a full frame camera right now (why would they?)