The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 to GX1

ReeRay

Yes. But kept the GF1 also as it's still a great camera.

The GX-1 is a definite and true upgrade. Significantly faster AF and higher usable ISO were what attracted me and I'm impressed. The new LVF2 is dramatically better than the GF1 VF. I can actually see what I'm shooting now!

Tim

Cheers thanks for that. Is the handling much the same or does the GX1 feel substantially smaller?

gfspencer

I went from a GF1 to a GX1. I'm keeping both. Both cameras feel about the same. The GX1 might have a slightly better hand grip.

I absolutely love the level line on the GX1! Until I got this camera I never could get my horizons level. I also like to be able to touch a spot on the screen and have the GX1 focus on that spot and shoot the picture.

I think that the GX1 puts out better pictures than the GF1 but I got the 25mm lens at about the same time so I'm not sure which deserves the most credit.

Tim

How much better would the GX1 have been if only it had an inbuilt EVF?? :deadhorse:

Particularly if it could have kept the same size/form. I think it would have gotten a lot more attention.

Maybe a GX2 please Panasonic? :poke:

J

JohnW

Any difference in shutter sound between GX1 and GF1? Thanks.

John

ReeRay

I went from a GF1 to a GX1. I'm keeping both. Both cameras feel about the same. The GX1 might have a slightly better hand grip.

I absolutely love the level line on the GX1! Until I got this camera I never could get my horizons level. I also like to be able to touch a spot on the screen and have the GX1 focus on that spot and shoot the picture.

I think that the GX1 puts out better pictures than the GF1 but I got the 25mm lens at about the same time so I'm not sure which deserves the most credit.
Sensor tilt indicator. Agreed. Godsend using the 7-14. And the pinpoint focus zoom is a plus also. Half depress the shutter and immediate zoom in. Fantastic. Touching the screen to lock focus another blessing. Shutter sound is the same as the GF1.

pellicle

Oh, I thought the G3 came out last summer? :D
come *on* ... people don't work like that. It took Kirk Tuck some years to actually stop bagging the G1/GH1 and then realise that the GH2 is a *sh_hot* camera.

Previously he'd dissed the GH1 as being annoying because it wasn't pure and sleek in form like his EP-2 was (which had a better EVF too).

go figga

:loco:

Audii-Dudii

I have both cameras and, frankly, I would be happier if the GX1 was identical to the GF1 in every respect except for its improved IQ and the added grip, which makes it possible for me to use the camera singlehandedly. Because of these two factors, though, the GX1 has replaced my GF1 as my everyday carry camera and my GF1 will soon have a new owner.

J

juliedanurse

I need some advice...

I have the Lumix GF3 and like it quite a lot. I would like to grab another M4/3 with a hotshoe so I can take advantage of more powerful flash if needed. I'm debating whether to pick up a GF1 on eBay or spend the $$ and grab a GX1. I'm open to other suggestions, too.

Tim

I need some advice...

I have the Lumix GF3 and like it quite a lot. I would like to grab another M4/3 with a hotshoe so I can take advantage of more powerful flash if needed. I'm debating whether to pick up a GF1 on eBay or spend the $$ and grab a GX1. I'm open to other suggestions, too.
Its an interesting question, one I've considered. An issue is you can't use the EVF and an add on flash at the same time with the GF1 / GX1, there is no hotshoe on the EVF, and I suspect it could not support the weight anyway.

Now of course you could just go with a G3, it has EVF and the hotshoe. I do use my GF1 with a Nissin m43 flash but it becomes a bit heavy when framing with the LCD. I do wish there was a flash sync socket on the side of the Panasonic m43 cameras to use a bracket mounted flash, then we could have EVF and bracket flash setup.

J

juliedanurse

Its an interesting question, one I've considered. An issue is you can't use the EVF and an add on flash at the same time with the GF1 / GX1, there is no hotshoe on the EVF, and I suspect it could not support the weight anyway.

Now of course you could just go with a G3, it has EVF and the hotshoe. I do use my GF1 with a Nissin m43 flash but it becomes a bit heavy when framing with the LCD. I do wish there was a flash sync socket on the side of the Panasonic m43 cameras to use a bracket mounted flash, then we could have EVF and bracket flash setup.
The G3 sounds like a great idea! So far I haven't had issues with the LCD as my only viewfinder but I know I will hate that in bright light.

hughden

I have just made the move.

Better IQ at higher ISO. Quicker to focus, noticeably so with the Olympus 45mm. Touch screen is excellent for selecting focus point and customisable quick menu with touch support, together with the extra Fn buttons means you can set it up exactly how you want it. Quality build but could have done without the size reduction. LVF is great but intrusive in size.

If can be bothered to trawl through my review, it is here:
http://www.pattayadays.com/2012/01/panasonic-gx1-review/

Cheers
Hugh

CPWarner

I really like that feature as well. Very nicely done. There are definitely some improvements in the user interface as well.

iau

Just bought the GX1 and so far enjoy it a lot. Having previously owned the GF1 I got an X100 last June because of the larger sensor and viewfinder. However, keeping the X100 for now, I'm back at M43.

It's handling is - as far as I remember - better on the GX1. At least when shooting with one hand. A small, but good grip. The LCD, which was what annoyed me the most about the GF1, is alot better in bright light. I do not plan to use it with an EVF and I'm quite happy without a tilt-screen. I'm not using the touch screen buttons so I could live without that. I am curious if anyone knows if the touch-screen function makes the LCD less sharp when reviewing photos?