The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Will a global shutter invigorate the m4/3rd?

V

Vivek

The much anticipated/wanted global shutter is again in the rumors. Presumably, it would be a feature in the upcoming GH-3.

The m4/3rd has not totally become irrelevant, it seems. :)

greypilgrim

Hey Vivek,
Could you explain global shutters and why they would be a benefit.

Doug
(livin' just fine on my irrelevant ;-) m4/3 system, love shooting with the 20 and 45, now if I just had that Oly 12.....)

woodyspedden

Hey Vivek,
Could you explain global shutters and why they would be a benefit.

Doug
(livin' just fine on my irrelevant ;-) m4/3 system, love shooting with the 20 and 45, now if I just had that Oly 12.....)
A good explanation can be found here

dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/

V

Vivek

Doug, The Oly 12/2 is on sale (at the usual suspects) it seems.

I am excited about the upcoming 12-35/2.8 Pana zoom.

ErikTande

The much anticipated/wanted global shutter is again in the rumors. Presumably, it would be a feature in the upcoming GH-3.

The m4/3rd has not totally become irrelevant, it seems. :)
Wow, that would be killer! That would make the video so much better. Although, then I'd have to save up for a GH3.

/starts saving

kwalsh

Global shutters are a big help in video. Unfortunately implementing them almost always has a negative impact on stills IQ. That's why we don't see them in any cameras. I'd personally hate to see the GH3 trade stills IQ for a video feature since I do not shoot video!

On stills group who would like the are event photographers who want a quiet shutter. Of course they also want good high ISO which is typically degraded by a global shutter.

I do hope they implement electronic first curtain as Sony and Canon have. It is usually a no trade offs kind of feature and is great for tripod macro and telephoto.

Ken