The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG!

raist3d

Olympus are trying yet another curtain trick with

[deleted]

I am excited about the 16MP (most likely the Panasonic GH-2 sensor) cam. I have a choice between that or one more GH-2. Not too thrilled with the NEX-7.
Not sure why you think it's the GH2 sensor. I bet it's a tweaked GX1 sensor. That's better than nothing though not the leap forward I would like to see. But depending on the price, not bad.

- Raist

raist3d

The NEX-7 has two major specs that dwarf the offering from Pan/Olympus.
-24 megapixels with great image quality.
-The best EVF going.
While I really like what Sony did with the Nex-7 there are two issues:

- lenses (and 24 megapixels are nothing without good lenses)
- the EVF is not exactly the best going. It has the best resolution, not the best refresh particularly as things go dark.

Sony will fix both issues in due time though. There are about two good Nex lenses afaik (the last two ones they did). One issue in general for the platform still exists though: lenses are too big, sort of negating the idea of a small body. I think if they can make small pancake good quality primes, then they got a win from my view.

- Raist

raist3d

To be frank guys, why would this make the choice difficult (what Olympus is doing, what Pentax is doing?) What was the last camera you bought and how long ago? It isn't good enough?

- Raist

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To be frank guys, why would this make the choice difficult (what Olympus is doing, what Pentax is doing?) What was the last camera you bought and how long ago? It isn't good enough?

- Raist
Shhhhh.... it was two weeks ago, but I'm sure I can invent some more, urgent needs :angel:

V

Vivek

The rumor site is leaking continually:

http://www.43rumors.com/

- Camera has a classic OM design
- It has a magnesium body
- It is weathers sealed
- weight 373 g (body only).
- 16 megapixel sensor optimized for High Dynamic Range
- 200 up to 25.600 ISO
- Built-in electronic viewfinder 1.44 million dots (positioned in the center of the body liek the old OM optical viewfinders and same resolution as the external VF-2 viewfinder (Click here to see on Amazon).
- 610.000 pixel OLED swivel 3 inch screen.
- Five-axis image stabilizer in body.
- FAST AF and 3D tracking
- Comes in Balck or Silver.
- Price: Around $1.100 in USA or 1.000 Euro in Europe.

Godfrey

:) as a user of an OM2 and 2 OM4s over several years I lust for this type of compact while same time highly capable "semi" pro camera ;)
That's what the Ricoh GXR-M and Leica M9 give me: compact, highly capable, semi-pro cameras to work with.

I had Olympus Pen F and OM system cameras in addition to the E-system and others. It's great to see Olympus moving forward with this, I expect it will be a delightful camera ... Hopefully as delightful as the E-1 and E-5 were, and as the OM-1, 2, 3 and 4 were before them. Olympus has always delivered excellent cameras and lenses at the higher-end semi-pro and pro grade level.

I might not buy anything as I've pretty well got everything I need to do my photography, but I'm enthusiastically cheering Olympus on. We need diversity in the camera equipment market, not the obliterating dominance of just two camera manufacturers.

V

Vivek

:)

Doug, More leaks are expected in a few hours.

The central question about the sensor, for the first time could be- new! Not much is known as to what that "new" really means.

Amin

The same rumor sites also suggested that the E-P3 had a new sensor designed by Olympus. Then the lingo changed to "tweaked", and finally, we learned that it was the same old sensor. I'd love to see a brand new sensor in this camera but expect (and wouldn't be disappointed by) the G3/GX1 sensor.

greypilgrim

:)

Doug, More leaks are expected in a few hours.

The central question about the sensor, for the first time could be- new! Not much is known as to what that "new" really means.
I guess I have to agree somewhat on the sensor, even though I was quite happy with the G2 and am even more satisfied with the GH2. For me, though, just sensor improvements alone won't seal the deal. It needs to move the bar towards a better shooting experience enough to pul me away from the GH2.

You see it throughout these threads: "I loved the OM", or the Pentax or in my case, the Nikon FM2... And I constantly see people chasing this (the Fuji X100 and the new Fuji come to mind).

For me, if this camera significantly moves the bar on:

Image quality
Manual focusing
Ergonomics
Getting out of the way of taking the picture the way I want to take a picture.
Better yet, making it easy for me to work "my way"

Then my interest goes up.

And yes, it is funny how a simple picture showing metal dials and knobs peaks my interest :).

But, the hype is hype. We shall see. I certainly am in now way hurting with my GH2.

Doug

henningw

And quiet remarkable high ISO performance compared to all M4/3 cameras, and that with so many more megapixels.
I did not test bigger prints yet, but I will soon. I expect a lot from it.

Michiel
From DPReviews test of the NEX-7, with respect to noise performance in RAW:

"The graphs confirm that the NEX-7's pixel-level noise is higher than the NEX-5N's, and indeed about the same as the GH2's."

The NEX-7 benefits from having more pixels, but those pixels being quite close in size to those in the m43 16mp cameras, don't actually produce less noise.

Henning

V

Vivek

From DPReviews test of the NEX-7, with respect to noise performance in RAW:

"The graphs confirm that the NEX-7's pixel-level noise is higher than the NEX-5N's, and indeed about the same as the GH2's."

The NEX-7 benefits from having more pixels, but those pixels being quite close in size to those in the m43 16mp cameras, don't actually produce less noise.

Henning
From my actual use, one of my GH-2s (it has lost its AA filter) does better than the NEX-7 in terms of noise (ie., lower noise) and details.

jonoslack

From my actual use, one of my GH-2s (it has lost its AA filter) does better than the NEX-7 in terms of noise (ie., lower noise) and details.
Hi Vivek - is that looking at 100% - or is it in a similar sized print? . . . or even a comparison between the NEX7 image and an upsized GH-2s image?

V

Vivek

Similar sized prints. At 100% pixel level, NEX-7 shows recognizable noise even at ISO100. That had never been the case with the GH-2 at ISO160.

raist3d

Similar sized prints. At 100% pixel level, NEX-7 shows recognizable noise even at ISO100. That had never been the case with the GH-2 at ISO160.
I find this virtually impossible to believe for all shots given I have seen Nex-7 shots at ISO 100 with no discernible noise on screen, not sure how they would have noise on paper. Is it a particular kind of shot?

- Raist