The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG!

V

Vivek

Olympus are trying yet another curtain trick with intentional leaks about their new m4/3rds cam.

Here is what I gather from the rumors sites and such:

1. A "Pen Pro" with a 16MP sensor. This would have an integrated EVF. The rumored curtain raising is Feb 8th.

2. Possibly a camera named OMD (they have registered a trade mark name recently), possibly with a new mount and possibly with a large sensor- this could be the next Photokina.

I am excited about the 16MP (most likely the Panasonic GH-2 sensor) cam. I have a choice between that or one more GH-2. Not too thrilled with the NEX-7.

Amin

Why do you think it's the GH2 sensor rather than the G3 sensor? Regardless, I'd be happy. Both are good sensors, which coupled with Olympus body image stabilization should allow for very good low light shooting with the existing primes.

Why not too thrilled with NEX-7?

greypilgrim

Why do you think it's the GH2 sensor rather than the G3 sensor? Regardless, I'd be happy. Both are good sensors, which coupled with Olympus body image stabilization should allow for very good low light shooting with the existing primes.

Yeah, sensor stabilization plus a good EVF would make it interesting. A tilt/swivel screen would make it VERY interesting.

Doug

V

Vivek

Yup!

NEX-7, my list (to myself) isn't complete yet. :D

You do any street shooting?

Godfrey

Olympus are trying yet another curtain trick with intentional leaks about their new m4/3rds cam.

1. A "Pen Pro" with a 16MP sensor. This would have an integrated EVF. The rumored curtain raising is Feb 8th.

2. Possibly a camera named OMD (they have registered a trade mark name recently), possibly with a new mount and possibly with a large sensor- this could be the next Photokina.

I am excited about the 16MP (most likely the Panasonic GH-2 sensor) cam. I have a choice between that or one more GH-2. Not too thrilled with the NEX-7.
Sorry to hear that the NEX 7 isn't working out for you. I was quite interested in it as well, but after seeing its rendering issues with the lenses I want to use I crossed it off my list entirely. The GXR-M does a better job for me.

I've been expecting a pro-grade Olympus Pen this year. I'm very happy to see they're ramping up to it: I think it's an essential product for Olympus to cement their FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds lines together in the most sensible way possible. What they style it to look like and what they name it is completely inconsequential to me. I'm excited to hear what they come out with ... Olympus cameras have always been excellent at the pro-grade end of their spectrum.

That said, I've gone a different direction now. But I will keep my E-1 and ZD 35 Macro ... that's just too sweet a camera and lens to part with for the pittance it will bring in if I sold it. And my Nikkors work very nicely on the E-1 too.

V

Vivek

Silly as it may sound, Godfrey, I am still planning to buy a GXR. I don't know when and I don't know if it is going to be the A16.

The NEX-7 does not appear to be very convincing for certain applications but it is a fairly inexpensive (I do not say this lightly at all) platform for what I intend to do with it.

The GH-2, on the other hand, scores better in my books for a lot of the things I need. Including the EVF which is much more comfortable for me.

One of the rumors about the Olympus "pen pro" is presumably a new type of EVF. Really nice! :)

Godfrey

Silly as it may sound, Godfrey, I am still planning to buy a GXR. I don't know when and I don't know if it is going to be the A16.
One of the rumors about the Olympus "pen pro" is presumably a new type of EVF. Really nice! :)
I don't think it sounds silly at all. The Ricoh GXR system is a revolutionary and innovative concept ... Given my 8 months or so using it, I'm still delighted with it and will continue to use it. All the A12 camera units perform very very well, modulo some shortcomings. The A12 Camera Mount was done particularly well and really does support RF camera lenses extremely well. When and if they go to the A16 sensor in this camera unit, I am sure that it will work brilliantly ... but there's really no hurry at all about it given how well the A12 works. I hope that Ricoh continues to develop the GXR system as, when it comes to all electronic cameras, this is the most innovative system concept on the market.

I've not found the NEX line to be much to my liking due to their control and ergonomics choices. The NEX 7 is the best of the lot, but for my use and intent it just doesn't make it.

Olympus will I hope pull off a new EVF and focusing system that completes the integration of FT and mFT. I can't see them completely re-developing a lens line like the Zuiko Digital super-high-grade lenses ... they're just too superb in their current implementation and the cost to do so would be astronomical. So they need to focus on the focusing system and viewfinder to surpass what the E-5 provides for that brilliant lens line. The only sensible direction is electronic imaging of a very high calibre ... and that will take time.

My own photography has changed timbre enough in the past year that I no longer want or need the pro-grade SLR system. I love the E-5—but it and the lenses for it are far more than I want to carry for the photography I am doing now. My experience with Micro-FourThirds was good but again the lenses were the limiting factor: native lenses not to the spec I wanted, FourThirds SLR lenses too bulky, adapted mount lenses better but still not quite the right solution. For my use the GXR system and M-mount has moved well past what I was doing with the G1 and continues to provide satisfying results, in a smaller package with better controls and features, and with lenses that I prefer.

From here the path I am going is known... :)

V

Vivek

I've not found the NEX line to be much to my liking due to their control and ergonomics choices. The NEX 7 is the best of the lot, but for my use and intent it just doesn't make it.

From here the path I am going is known... :)
The NEX' make gorgeous cams. I hope Sony will find it in themselves to issue ltd editions sets one of these days.

As for the last line, how I wish I could say that..... about anything!

RichA

The NEX-7 has two major specs that dwarf the offering from Pan/Olympus.
-24 megapixels with great image quality.
-The best EVF going.

Has made my head spin trying to decide between it and the GH2 which I've used fairly extensively. But, this OM could very well change the game.
Failing any of them, I'll throw in the towel, save money and buy a G3

raist3d

The OMD is more likely to use a g1x sensor tweaked, not the gh2, unfortunately.

However the nex has one thing that puts them at a disadvantage and that is bigger worse lenses on the nex mount. 16 mp unless you do landscape I see as a non issue particularly if with a weaker as filter the OMD would come close.

The Evf on the nex is higher Rez but I bet the OMD one will look better in low
Light.

Michiel Schierbeek

The NEX-7 has two major specs that dwarf the offering from Pan/Olympus.
-The best EVF going.
G3
And quiet remarkable high ISO performance compared to all M4/3 cameras, and that with so many more megapixels.
I did not test bigger prints yet, but I will soon. I expect a lot from it.

Michiel

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The day Sony offers a collection of lenses that compares to m4/3, 24MP may be of significance, but until then... nah. I went to an exhibition opening yesterday. A couple of my photos, and several photos by others, taken with 12MP cameras (D300 and GH1 in my case) had been printed 500 x 250 cm and the viewing distance was 5-6 meters at the most. I doubt that anybody would have noticed the difference if they had been taken with a 24MP camera. They simply looked great.

If the OM-D uses the GX sensor and Olympus gives it the same treatment as they did with the 12MP sensor in the E-5, the results will most probably be great and hard to beat with any camera this side of medium format, considering the high quality lenses that have been developed for 4/3 and m4/3.

Michiel Schierbeek

Could be Jorgen. I am really glad with my 12MP Ricoh sensor, makes beautiful prints.

Still for legacy lenses, the focussing (focus peaking and Quality EVF), MP and High ISO perfoemance is just a tad better.

Your Planar 85 would even shine more on that camera.

But don't get me wrong I did enjoy Olympus and Panasonic cameras for a long time.
The new Olympus 45/1.8 lens is the only one I did not sell. Such a nice quality lens that I probably will buy an Olympus E-PL3 body or another tiny camera just to use it when they get a little cheaper.

Michiel

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm following the development at Ricoh very closely, Michiel. I find the size and the ergonomics very attractive, and if they launch a body with built in viewfinder (and an M-mount unit with the 16MP sensor), it will be a difficult choice between Ricoh and Olympus.