The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG!

V

Vivek

For what it's worth, DxO gives the GH1 a DxOMark of 64. The GH2 has a score of 60. So by this measure the sensor of the GH1 is better than the sensor of the GH2.

I own neither camera, so cannot comment on how this translates to the real world.
The key here is the "For what it is worth" part. It is worth nothing as far as photography is concerned.

Jerry_R

Really? You are the first person I've ever heard claim that
I know many u43 users who say exactly the same. The later sensors past G1 and GH2 - the worse. Super duper high ISO better - means less noise at differently calibrated ISO, requiring longer shutter speeds. Better charts results on portals, all since NEX appeared. Panasonic started to compete with Sony on high ISO field, Mpix and size of cameras.

Higher ISO - at the cost of IQ and DR. No, thank you. Even ISO 100 stopped to be available in all bodies...

That is reason, most of my friends who are interested in pictures, not charts - still use G1 or GH1 and laugh from people changing bodies every generation.

V

Vivek

I own G1s and GH-2s. No GH-1 (did not want to buy one and have no regrets).

The G1s are sparingly used. Only the GH-2 gets most of the action. It is better in every way. IQ, DR (related to noise, btw)- much better.

And, no banding! :D

httivals

I own two GH2s. I previously owned a G1 and a GH-1. I agree entirely with Vivek. The GH2 is better in every way than the GH1 and G1s. IQ and DR related to noise is much better. My GH1 banded when the shadows were pushed much at all in post-processing. The GH2 doesn't band. The noise on the GH2 is much less than the GH1 at higher isos (even at iso 320). I don't think the DXO relating ratings make sense based on my experience.

I regularly use the GH2 at iso 2500 without hesitation. I did my best not to use the GH1 at any more than about iso 800 because of the noise/banding.

I own G1s and GH-2s. No GH-1 (did not want to buy one and have no regrets).

The G1s are sparingly used. Only the GH-2 gets most of the action. It is better in every way. IQ, DR (related to noise, btw)- much better.

And, no banding! :D

greypilgrim

I've shot with the G1, G2, GH1, and GH2.

I have been surprised by the improved dynamic range of the GH2. I didn't expect that. The G1 and the G2 provided similar IQ obviously. The GH1 surprised me with its banding (grumble), but I got it on the way cheap as a stand in, so I shouldn't grumble too much.

I have no idea how the G3 sensor compares to the GH2 sensor in terms of DR and IQ.

If the OMG ;) has the G3 sensor in it, with the other features that are leaking out, it merits a look for me. The reasons to add it into the mix with my GH2 would be image stabilization, weather sealing, and shooting experience. If the ergonomics/setup/functionality makes the shooting experience more enjoyable, woo hoo :D. It apparently has a tilt screen and a viewfinder which are also on my list.

Doug

Jerry_R

GH2 has no banding, instead has regular lines in video on higher ISO, discussed on video forums.
My friend got official statement from Panasonic, that it is like it is and that they will not remove it and that every model has it.

Many people say here that GH2 has better IQ than predecessors. Probably it means for them less noise on higher ISOs, maybe JPGs and call it IQ.
I am mostly interested in best IQ, DR, details - on lowest ISO and only look at RAWs.
Samples I saw from GH2 - did not convince me.

Anyway,
it does not matter, if you are happy with it - that is most important!

See you in photo thread!

greypilgrim

GH2 has no banding, instead has regular lines in video on higher ISO, discussed on video forums.
My friend got official statement from Panasonic, that it is like it is and that they will not remove it and that every model has it.

Many people say here that GH2 has better IQ than predecessors. Probably it means for them less noise on higher ISOs, maybe JPGs and call it IQ.
I am mostly interested in best IQ, DR, details - on lowest ISO and only look at RAWs.
Samples I saw from GH2 - did not convince me.

Anyway,
it does not matter, if you are happy with it - that is most important!

See you in photo thread!
Many people here shoot RAW and evaluate based on that (myself included).

On the IQ front, I am also most interested in low ISO shooting although I wouldn't mind better performance at higher ISOs as well (Nikon D700 performance wouldn't be to much to ask for, would it? :ROTFL:).

On the DR front, all I can comment is based on my experiences with the GH2 over the G2 and GH1. Shots that were typical requiring exposure bracketing on those cameras ended up not needing it on the GH2. Enough so that I was surprised by it (I have shot bracketed multiple times and have found out I didn't need it after the fact).

IQ is of course subjective, and as you stated, different people have different goals.

Doug

kwalsh

I've shot the GH2 and G1 extensively, always at base ISO and only RAW. The GH2 is definitely superior in IQ in every way. Better shadows, better resolution, easier to handle mid-tone noise. The difference isn't huge, but it is there, and anyone who thinks the G1 is doing better at base ISO really hasn't used both cameras.

I've not shot the GH1, but I have compared some provided RAW samples and you just can't push the shadows. Banding, blah.

Now, if someone has a GH1 that doesn't band (and apparently there is some variability) then I could understand that they don't see a big improvement in the GH2. The GH1 was quite good except for the banding.

Ken

Jerry_R

Shots that were typical requiring exposure bracketing on those cameras ended up not needing it on the GH2. Enough so that I was surprised by it (I have shot bracketed multiple times and have found out I didn't need it after the fact).
Are you sure you had the same light conditions? :)

GF1: 6.1 EV
E-P1: 6 EV
G2: 6 EV
GH2: 5.3 EV
G3: 5.3 EV

GF1: Google Translate
E-P1: Google Translate
G2: Google Translate
GH2: Google Translate
G3: Google Translate

* Red dots show best quality

The same trend of running for Mpix or high ISO by among others increasing base ISO - with GH2, GF3 - observes DP Review
Panasonic DMC-GH2 Review: 12. Dynamic Range: Digital Photography Review

Suspicious, isn't it?

Amin

I had a G1, GH1, and GH2. The GH2 was basically the same image quality as the GH1 to me except that the GH1 had occasional banding in the shadows and the GH2 did not.

I haven't seen a single person who has actually owned a GH1, then bought a GH2 and been disappointed with the GH2 image quality. I've seen many GH1 owners who got the GH2 and were very pleased with it. That certainly was my reaction.

kwalsh

Are you sure you had the same light conditions? :)

GF1: 6.1 EV
E-P1: 6 EV
G2: 6 EV
GH2: 5.3 EV
G3: 5.3 EV
So now were fishing in Polish sites with results not reproduced by a single other test site? And contradicting the results from anyone who owns both cameras, or anyone who has processed the available RAW files from IR and DPR?

The same trend of running for Mpix or high ISO by among others increasing base ISO - with GH2, GF3 - observes DP Review
Panasonic DMC-GH2 Review: 12. Dynamic Range: Digital Photography Review
And now were looking at a JPEG DR comparison?!?!?! I thought you were all about RAW?

Suspicious, isn't it?
Something sure is...

I'll not waste time with you anymore, thanks!

Ken

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Instead of discussing the difference in DR between one camera that has been discontinued and one that will be discontinued very soon, why not discuss this:

V

Vivek

Interesting poetry from Olympus.

I try hard to be an observer while taking photos instead of being a participant or being a part of it as Olympus claim that the new camera would make you. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What is really great is the fact that some of the camera manufacturers have started to make beautiful cameras again. The OM-D seems to be exactly what I've been hoping for.

kwalsh

It is looking nice!

G3 sensor, EVF, IBIS, tilting LCD is really going to be a low-light prime shooters delight.

Ken