The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've always suspected that the veeeeeryyyy long life of the E-1 was because Olympus had to buy a minimum quantity of sensors and that they manufactured all the cameras in one go, leaving them with full warehouses for a long time which again delayed the introduction of the E-3.

The E-400 was probably just a last, unsuccessful attempt from Kodak to make them stay. It's the only camera I know of where the manufacturer more or less has announced the discontinuation of the product on the launch day :rolleyes:

kwalsh

CORRECTION:

I was wrong on "Live MOS" being a Panasonic trademark. The trademark is actually registered to Olympus in both the US and EU!

So presumably Olympus could get a sensor from anyone and call it "Live MOS".

Ken

Riley

i was going to point that out too, but hey .... it seemed like minutia
something else to get a grip on, micro really belongs to Olympus..

Godfrey

I've always suspected that the veeeeeryyyy long life of the E-1 was because Olympus had to buy a minimum quantity of sensors and that they manufactured all the cameras in one go, leaving them with full warehouses for a long time which again delayed the introduction of the E-3.

The E-400 was probably just a last, unsuccessful attempt from Kodak to make them stay. It's the only camera I know of where the manufacturer more or less has announced the discontinuation of the product on the launch day :rolleyes:
I dunno. I've always suspected that the very long life of the E-1 was simply because it was such a fantastic camera it took them forever to make something that actually performed better. :)

I was just shooting with the E-1 again last evening: it's still a nicer camera to shoot with than many other more modern cameras. If Only Olympus had put a faster data bus and a 12 Mpixel sensor in it... Oh well.

Brian Mosley

I dunno. I've always suspected that the very long life of the E-1 was simply because it was such a fantastic camera it took them forever to make something that actually performed better. :)

I was just shooting with the E-1 again last evening: it's still a nicer camera to shoot with than many other more modern cameras. If Only Olympus had put a faster data bus and a 12 Mpixel sensor in it... Oh well.
Agreed, that's the danger of throwing a great design away and starting from scratch I guess :D

The strange thing about the E-1 - is how much better it feels than it looks in a web review... you just can't always tell.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Agreed, that's the danger of throwing a great design away and starting from scratch I guess :D

The strange thing about the E-1 - is how much better it feels than it looks in a web review... you just can't always tell.
Same went for the Panasonic L1.

Frankly, I don't think you can ever tell how well a camera will work for you from a web review. I ignore web reviews entirely ... I go to them only to read the specifications and ogle pretty pictures of new gear. I only very very rarely buy anything without it being in a dealership nearby first and going to play with it a dozen times. The E-5 was one of the few I ordered sight-unseen that succeeded (I'd played with the E-3 so many times I felt knew exactly what it would feel like, and I was right). The GXR was the only other one.

jonoslack

Okay okay okay okay okay.
I'm hopeless . . . I got rid of the X100, and I haven't ordered the X10 or the X1 or the D800 or the D800e or the Pentax K-01 . . . I was beginning to feel rather smug.

But this one is one too many for me . I've just put in a pre-order for a black OMD with the 12-50.

And there was me thinking I'd escaped from m4/3 . . .

It's your fault - all of you -:cry::cry::cry:

But most of all it's Jorgen's fault - he's a relentless GAS bully - impossible to resist - he's even been getting at me on Facebook :ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

Slightly surprised you went for the lens Jono, have you seen any reviews?

I'm thinking the grips and weathersealed adapter will be worth it... but then I have my 4/3res lenses to use with it.

Will be interesting to read your thoughts on the EVF - will the fast refresh make a huge difference?

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

The prices are unrealistic.:thumbdown:

I will wait for them to come to some sensible levels. In the meantime, there will be others. :)

marlof

I've just put in a pre-order for a black OMD with the 12-50.
You do know that this camera just needs that lovely 12 and a 45 macro, now don't you? :p

Somehow I knew that this one has your name written all over it. Mine too BTW, but happily the Dutch shops don't let me preorder that easily, so I'll have some time to figure out if this really is worthy of replacing the GH2.

pikme

I think that lens will be good for an outdoor walk around lens, since it is weather sealed and does close ups - something we don't otherwise have in m4/3 but are spoiled with in regular 4/3.

It is slow and undoubtedly not as sharp as the better primes (which I have), but I am adding it to my bag, too. Of course, I'd rather have a replacement for the 12-60mm, but this lens does bring some options/convenience to m4/3 that we don't currently have. And it is inexpensive as part of a kit.

jonoslack

No - hadn't seen 'em. The reason I went for it was twofold:
1. it only costs an extra £150, and I figured I could sell it for more than that if I didn't like it.
2. It's weather-sealed

But now I have read the write ups, I'll suspend judgement until I've tried it at working distances with working subjects (although I thought the finnish guy did a good job).

I'm thinking the grips and weathersealed adapter will be worth it... but then I have my 4/3res lenses to use with it.
Not interested in grips etc. . . . When I get it, it'll be a fight out between the NEX7 and the OMD - a fight to the death . . . (well, a fight to ebay at least!).

If I prefer the OMD I've got enough collateral in NEX lenses to get the ones I'd likely want:
9-18
45 f1.8
12 f2
14-150
45 macro

Will be interesting to read your thoughts on the EVF - will the fast refresh make a huge difference?

Cheers

Brian
I kind of know what the EVF is like - the Sony one is obviously better in theory, but I've been using the Olympus one quite a bit side by side recently, and in actual real terms I don't think there is that much difference.

We Shall See!

You do know that this camera just needs that lovely 12 and a 45 macro, now don't you? :p

Somehow I knew that this one has your name written all over it. Mine too BTW, but happily the Dutch shops don't let me preorder that easily, so I'll have some time to figure out if this really is worthy of replacing the GH2.
Hi There
I realise that it does - I've actually sold the 45 macro twice now! I'll see if I love the camera with the kit lens - if I do, then the NEX get's it - and the 12 and 45 would be top of the list.

The pre-order situation at WEX is really good - they call you when it arrives, and if you want it they charge your credit card. If you don't they don't. So I can easily change my mind :)

jonoslack

I think that lens will be good for an outdoor walk around lens, since it is weather sealed and does close ups - something we don't otherwise have in m4/3 but are spoiled with in regular 4/3.

It is slow and undoubtedly not as sharp as the better primes (which I have), but I am adding it to my bag, too. Of course, I'd rather have a replacement for the 12-60mm, but this lens does bring some options/convenience to m4/3 that we don't currently have. And it is inexpensive as part of a kit.
HI Roberto
Quite right - but you put it so much more eloquently than I did!

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There you see, it didn't take many days before you came to your senses :D

I agree with Roberto about the lens. Probably a very nice all-weather walk-around. I will also use the 4/3 PanaLeica 14-50 for when I need a larger aperture zoom or only want to bring one lens, but the Zuiko plus the Pana 7-14 and a couple of primes should be perfect for travel.

jonoslack

There you see, it didn't take many days before you came to your senses :D
We'll see - I'm really finding it pretty hard to criticise the NEX7, and the lack of focus peaking on the OMD is a bit of a pain - but if I like it, then I'll probably use it with AF lenses most of the time . . . If I don't like it, then I'll have wasted a relatively small amount of money on the turnaround.

As far as the lens is concerned, I've learned to try them out myself - it's a pity that it seems to be a pale shadow of the lovely old 12-60 though.

One of the attractions is a proper wide angle option (which really doesn't exist on the NEX).

Diane B

I'll be interested in the fight LOL. I have the G3 so not in any hurry to add the OM-D but have been considering the NEX 7. I can afford to sit back and see how it shakes out before doing anything.

Diane

Not interested in grips etc. . . . When I get it, it'll be a fight out between the NEX7 and the OMD - a fight to the death . . . (well, a fight to ebay at least!).

If I prefer the OMD I've got enough collateral in NEX lenses to get the ones I'd likely want:
9-18
45 f1.8
12 f2
14-150
45 macro

Knorp

Okay okay okay okay okay.
I'm hopeless . . . I got rid of the X100, and I haven't ordered the X10 or the X1 or the D800 or the D800e or the Pentax K-01 . . . I was beginning to feel rather smug.

But this one is one too many for me . I've just put in a pre-order for a black OMD with the 12-50.

And there was me thinking I'd escaped from m4/3 . . .

It's your fault - all of you -:cry::cry::cry:

But most of all it's Jorgen's fault - he's a relentless GAS bully - impossible to resist - he's even been getting at me on Facebook :ROTFL:
OMG - you're hopelessly condemned and beyond salvation ... :ROTFL:
And stop pointing at innocent people ... :poke:
:D

But are you sure you don't want that grip, Jono ?
This is what WEX says:
OM-D Free Grip with every pre-order*
Olympus are offering every Wex Photographic customer who pre-orders the new E-M5 a FREE 2-Part Grip (SSP £229.99). To claim, just keep hold of your order confirmation email, and when you recieve your E-M5, send both the order confirmation, and your delivery reciept to Olympus. *Limited to 2 claims per household. Full terms and conditions coming soon.
It's free ... :toocool:

Jonas

Jono, just get the grip for nothing and then sell it to me for shipping the cost, some money for the trouble and the price for a dinner for you and your wife (exclusive wines are not part of my math here though...). ;)

===

I'll definitely buy the E-M5. I'll without regrets leave the Nex sector and say Yes to weather sealing, better ergonomics and decent native lenses. I have a few pieces up for sale (or sell?) and hope some demanding Leica or Nex aficionados will bite... Me, I take mediocre images and will probably be happy with a small mediocre Panasonic sensor.

I like the great image quality from my Nexes but, frankly, I've never had cameras getting so much in their way for me. The nearly non-existing shutter lag will be missed though.

jonoslack

OMG - you're hopelessly condemned and beyond salvation ... :ROTFL:
Yes, indeed.
And stop pointing at innocent people ... :poke:
:D
There's nothing innocent about Jorgen - he's a dangerous and seditious man (even if he is also good fun, charming and a fab photographer).
But are you sure you don't want that grip, Jono ?
This is what WEX says:

It's free ... :toocool:
Well, if it's free . . . I'll sell it to Jonas and have the dinner!

Just been in Holland for a couple of days . . . we must meet for a pint sometime, so that we can discuss Jorgen's bad character :D

Jonas

Well, if it's free . . . I'll sell it to Jonas and have the dinner!
...and a really nice dinner I hope!

Just been in Holland for a couple of days . . . we must meet for a pint sometime, so that we can discuss Jorgen's bad character :D
Meeting and drinking is good - but discussing Jorgen is better done in the open. How else should can he be able to learn and improve? ;)