The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small flash for GH2

I'd like to get rid of that, to my mind amateurish, pre-flash the pop up flash produces.

I've just been looking at some twenty year old shots I took with a Canon and using a shoe mounted flash as a fill outdoors. I like them.

Is there a small flash I can put on the GH2 hotshoe that does not pre-flash and is not one of those tall vertical flashes like this one:-

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/.../08/panasonic-lumix-dmw-fl360-flash-unit.html

and which simply look silly on a GH2.

I'd like one that is wider than it is tall - or even square. The FL360 looks like a flash gun with a camera attached to the bottom IMHO.

All ideas welcome.

Tony

kwalsh

No, it won't meter at all with anything but a Nikon camera and it has no manual output control at all either. Not a good flash for m43.

Ken

"The answer is no. If you want TTL then the pre-flash has to fire to make a measurement! "

Unlike my recently owned Canon 5d which had ETTL and on which I used the 220 flash gun.

Or maybe it did pre-flash but much faster than the GH2 does.

Tony

V

Vivek

They all (every system) preflash. You notice the pop-up's preflash because the whole out put is small. So, relatively, the weak preflash is more noticeable.

V

Vivek

I had to search for my little flash to check (it is a generic TTL flash, I had already posted information on this for a query you had, a long time ago).

Yes, there is remarkably a big delay between the pre-flash and the actual flash even with the shutter speed at 1/160s (Camera- GH-2). Thus, it would indicate an enormous shutter lag!

I am not sure if this is the case with Pansonic flash or the Olympus flashes though.

V.

Sorry to have asked twice. So far the Nissin Di466 seems to be the best from this, my second, investigation.

"I am not sure if this is the case with Pansonic flash "

I'll be going to Focus at the end of the month in Birmingham. I'll try a Panasonic one on their stand.

Tony

V

Vivek

V.

Sorry to have asked twice. So far the Nissin Di466 seems to be the best from this, my second, investigation.

"I am not sure if this is the case with Pansonic flash "

I'll be going to Focus at the end of the month in Birmingham. I'll try a Panasonic one on their stand.

Tony
No worries, Tony.:)

Please report back on how the Panasonic flash works.

Bensonga,

Thanks for the pointer to the Metz.

I felt the Nissin offered a bit more control at the gun itself.

But the test is first to see what a Panasonic does delaywise.

Both the Metz and the Nissin would never be stocked in a London shop and returning one to an internet seller as the 'delay was too long' would be a bit fraught.

Tony

After reading about this subject (again) on dpreview, I decided to try the Nissin Di466. It arrives tomorrow. I will report how it works out for me.

Reed
My Lumix Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com