The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95

greypilgrim

If true, yet another lens for the m4/3 lens stable. And it sure would be an interesting lens to play with.

saw it rumored over on 43rumors.

Doug

httivals

To add a bit of proportionality, isn't the depth of field equivalent to a 35mm f1.8 lens on a full frame camera? . . . It's true, you can shoot with a faster shutter speed than you could with a 35mm f1.8 lens on a full frame camera, and it's also true that there's no other way to get this relatively shallow depth of field on a 4/3 camera with the same field of view of a traditional 35mm lens, but it's not all that unique, is it? . . . Now on the other hand, I would like one.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This lens is also perfectly positioned between the Zuiko 12/2.0 and Leica 25/1.4. My problem with the Voigtlander 25/0.95 was always that I would have to choose between that and the Leica, so I've ended up with none of them so far.

Problem solved. Now I can buy both. I just need to stumble upon a big pile of money first :rolleyes:

Last edited:

paparazzi666

I had written to Cosina or submitted some Poll I cant remember but the 17.5mm is the most sought after lens, after the 25mm focal length, to me that is. But the price announced does seem rather high and more than the 25mm which I use extensively. Samples here.

Flickr: Please wait...

There is something REALLY SPECIAL about shooting fast wide angle lenses with shallow DOF. It achieves a rendering that is so unique, a wider coverage to include the environment, yet has a bokeh effect to separate the background without Blowing the background to oblivion. Meaning you can get contextual portrait photos and balance the Bokeh. In the right hands this wide standard can appear almost like a short tele, yet you can make portraits/candids from just few feet away.

There are so many master photographers who shoot exclusively with this focal length and it is especially true with the Leica M range.

So this "35mm" with about f1.8 in DOF sits nicely between a Summilux and a Summicron. Since it has a fatter bokeh than the Summicron, its going to be able to produce some nice Candid/Reportage style pics. I use the Fuji x100 exclusively for this 35mm look. Samples here...

Flickr: Please wait...

Now with this lens, then I may not need the x100 anymore? But the x100 is still such a fun toy...sigh. Man toys are expensive.

This lens and the 25mm Nokton will really fit the OM-D well. With a grip attached, its gonna be very business like and deliver world class results under all kinds of lighting situations, even with almost NO LIGHT. This sort of lens should be used wide open, more often than not, if you gonna stop it down, then the pancake 17mm f2.8 from Oly would suffice.

For a short TELE for the OM-D, there are PLENTY of options, manual focus, AF, legacy lenses. I think a 38mm f0.95 lens would be really nice. Thats a niche not yet filled, the closest being the Voigt 35mm f1.2 for the Leica M. Of course the SLR magic 50mm 0.95 is another fab choice. I have several 50+mm f1.2 to use now so its not going to be a rush for me at the TELE end.

The problem with m43 is that its inherent DOF. We can really do with these super fast lenses to overcome this limitation. For my style of candid/reportage portraiture, its a no-brainer. Now to go find more money for the OM-D and this lens...hehe.

Brian Mosley

Well, obviously there's a demand for this 35mm perspective - I can't believe that Olympus haven't spotted that demand yet. I'd kill for a weather-sealed 17mm f1.4 prime lens for the OM-D.

I'm afraid this lens is a non-starter for me, at least until someone brings focus peaking to m4/3rds.

Cheers

Brian

biglouis

No one has yet mentioned the one obvious and possibly fatal flaw of this lens.

Focal lengths below 50mm are notoriously poor on m43rds cameras unless they have inbuilt perspective/distortion correction in firmware.

This will be a wholly manual lens and I can't see how a m43rds body will see it as anything other than a short focal length piece of glass and as such fail to correct the smeary edges that result.

I have never managed to get a decent 'wide open' image from any of my Leica or Voigtlander glass below 50mm and my 15mm Heliar which is close enough to the 17.5mm to be representative is basically unusable below f8.

So, by all means slaver over the fast aperture of this lens but I remain to be convinced until I see samples.

LouisB

V

Vivek

Focal lengths below 50mm are notoriously poor on m43rds cameras unless they have inbuilt perspective/distortion correction in firmware.

This will be a wholly manual lens and I can't see how a m43rds body will see it as anything other than a short focal length piece of glass and as such fail to correct the smeary edges that result.

I have never managed to get a decent 'wide open' image from any of my Leica or Voigtlander glass below 50mm and my 15mm Heliar which is close enough to the 17.5mm to be representative is basically unusable below f8.

So, by all means slaver over the fast aperture of this lens but I remain to be convinced until I see samples.

LouisB
A bit presumptuous, Louis.

There are no inherent "fatal flaws" if the lens is made well.

What is so fatal about the CV 25/0.95?

You should perhaps try a 16/2 Arri Distagon or a Kinoptik 9.8 f/1.8- all usable wide open.

Godfrey

LouisB
Those lenses we're not designed for mFT or digital sensors, bl. They require special sensor technology to work well.

This lens is designed for mFT digital cameras. It will work well.

biglouis

Those lenses we're not designed for mFT or digital sensors, bl. They require special sensor technology to work well.

This lens is designed for mFT digital cameras. It will work well.
I stand corrected but I also hope the lens is corrected - not sure how they do this as I thought there was a basic issue with any focal length below 50mm and that is why there is heavy firmware processing, e.g. a 20/1.7 would look awful were it not for the in-camera correction.

But I await to be amazed!

Or indeed inspired if Leica follow suit and give us a proper PanaLeica 17.5 Summicron to complete the stable.

Louis

greypilgrim

Not to mention drooling in advance is half the fun :D.

Before reality sets in, one can at least imagine that it performs well. And one can hope that Cosina's reasonably deserved reputation for putting out quality glass will continue here.

Doug