The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

Terry

Re: Fun with the Olympus OM-D

I'm considering renaming this thread. The "fun with" threads are generally for released products with images etc. not just speculation info.

Riley

If I am not mistaken, Fuji S3 UVIR Pro was the first to offer this live view possibility..
if you really wanted to go back in time, E-10 and E-20 were first, however

the Fuji was time limited to 30 seconds, couldn't AF and was B&W only

slight limitation ?

T

thearne3

Kirk Tuck has the best review, so far:

He is the first to report that it has a new feature for Olympus (but available on the GH2) – the ability to select aspect ratios 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 without cropping. This feature premiered on the LX3, and I found it to be invaluable.
If Kirk is right...and I hope he is...then DPR's specs are wrong. They indicate that the pixel dimensions are reduced for other aspect ratios: eg 3/2 is 4608 x 3072 or 14.155mp and the largest square is 11.94mp. It is true that if you 'only need 12mp', we're covered in all these aspect ratios! (Ooops! already corrected...)

My favorite under-reported feature is the virtual elimination of 'blackout' when shooting. It has been reported (robinwong.blogspot.com) that even at 9fps, there is EVF visual, ie, the photographer can track moving objects and keep them in frame. Of course, at this rate focus is fixed, but at least you can see what you're shooting! Robin also notes that the shutter sound is more muted than the E-P3... :thumbs:

V

Vivek

if you really wanted to go back in time, E-10 and E-20 were first, however

the Fuji was time limited to 30 seconds, couldn't AF and was B&W only

slight limitation ?
Riley, I have no clue which one was the first to offer the feature of this thread. The point is that it is not new. You seem to confirm it with additional and even older candidates.

Brian Mosley

Riley, I have no clue which one was the first to offer the feature of this thread. The point is that it is not new. You seem to confirm it with additional and even older candidates.
:ROTFL: Nothing is new around here. :watch:

Riley

oh sure
the thing now is that this camera doesnt black out between frames. Apparently even at 9fps the 'video' feed through liveview is constant

Terry

Not sure what the first big blackout is but on the second try they hit the buffer pretty quickly as it hasn't cleared from the first round. This is where the Nikon system is pretty amazing.

So far, it still seems nobody seems to have put all the specs into one camera.

V

Vivek

oh sure
the thing now is that this camera doesnt black out between frames. Apparently even at 9fps the 'video' feed through liveview is constant
I thought the Fuji S3 pro UVIR did not black out during the bulb exposure...no?

Brian Mosley

Not sure what the first big blackout is but on the second try they hit the buffer pretty quickly as it hasn't cleared from the first round. This is where the Nikon system is pretty amazing.

So far, it still seems nobody seems to have put all the specs into one camera.
Difficult to tell what's going on there - could be beta firmware, could be slow SDHC card etc. It didn't look continuous live view to me - more like frozen view between shots. This could be a configuration option... Could be it wasn't configured for constant live view.

We'll see in due course.

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

oh sure
If that is true, it's a huge step forward. It would mean that the OM-D would be usable for sports photography.

Riley

If that is true, it's a huge step forward. It would mean that the OM-D would be usable for sports photography.
Im hoping its true too, their is already wide misreporting of the sensor installed and that just isnt helpful. Im hoping that this news about the EVF system is real, it shouldnt take too long to sort that out if people look/ask for it.

J

JohnW

Did you all notice the dimensions? Not too much bigger than a GX1, although taller with the hump.

John

cjlacz

oh sure
From what I read it's not constant, but only 29 or 26ms. I'm not sure that includes the shutter time, but it seems faster than even the D700 from what I found through Google.

A

Allan Ostling

rainy day kit lens

I have just canceled my pre-order at Amazon for the OM-D black body. I decided I wanted the 12-50mm weather-sealed lens, so re-ordered with that.

What changed my mind was the photo you see below. I shot that with my E-P2 in New Zealand in 2010, near Lake Kaniere. It was a drizzly day, a rare treat for somebody like me who lives in Phoenix and almost never sees rain. I've never owned a rain-sealed lens, so when I get it I will have an incentive to find some, and in the words of Phil Collins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcY3FH208l8&ob=av3e

Who was Dowrick, and what was the dilemma? I have a message out to my New Zealand friends to find out.

A

Allan Ostling

autofocusing speed

This page from the Olympus OM-D website OLYMPUS OM-D | Olympus Imaging states that the record-setting autofocus is achieved when using the 12-50mm kit lens. I wonder if the autofocus speed will be significantly slower with other lenses.

Terry

There is always a caveat to Olympus claims. I bet it also says record breaking speed is also only at wide angle. I believe that was the case on the E-P3. Oly have great marketers who can deftly nuance words and meanings.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There is always a caveat to Olympus claims. I bet it also says record breaking speed is also only at wide angle. I believe that was the case on the E-P3. Oly have great marketers who can deftly nuance words and meanings.
Unfortunately I mast say

+1

Peter