Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-D discussion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus OM-D discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmmm - they do look quite good don't they.
    I imagine that the camera will appear the day we get back from China!
    Brian - are you get an X-pro1 as well, or instead of an OMD?
    No, I think the X-Pro 1 is out of the question - I've got too much invested in 4/3rds and m4/3rds glass... and the E-M5 sensor looks to be a reasonable step up.

Cheers

Brian
    Founder, Olympus Photo Safari Group

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    No, I think the X-Pro 1 is out of the question - I've got too much invested in 4/3rds and m4/3rds glass... and the E-M5 sensor looks to be a reasonable step up.

Cheers

Brian
    The OMD looks fine to me too - I'm thinking that with the new teeny 14-42 pane lens it will actually make a fine 'pocket' camera - But I'm fussy, we shall see!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    that sensor thing will never be resolved.
    I cant see Olympus ever saying where the sensor comes from, but I wouldnt be surprised if at its heart its Panasonic,
    rewired and retopped for Olympus by some contract outfit.

A source at another forum and close to Olympus told me recently that non of the sensors theyve used have ever been identical to those used by Panasonic.
    From a certain point of view, changing the AA filter, or the CFA, or the microlenses, makes the sensor "new". From a certain point of view, Darth Vader killed Luke Skywalker's father Anakin.

As far as I am concerned, DxOmark will settle this. If the curves are superimposable on those of a Panasonic camera, then Panasonic made the sensor. If not, then things will have gotten more interesting for MFTs.

Post Thanks / Like

The OM-D also looks fine to me, only thing is I am pretty badly burned by Olympus WRT support of their E system and letting it go .....

Who can make sure that this will not happen to m43 in a few years as well?

They are really bad looking at their consistence of systems.

But the OM-D looks really great .....

Post Thanks / Like

Well Panasonic is backing m4/3 as well, so it will probably continue as a standard for a while to come.

By the way, that portrait sample looks very, very nice. Now I want the 45mm too.

frelwa

Here are 3 new full res jpegs from Olympus Imaging Japan with some EXIF data: OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5??????????????????????.

The art filter in the 3rd image is called Key Line, not "Claire Lee Ⅱ News" as Google Translate calls it.

thearne3

For those interested, Pekka Potka has been posting early impressions and his own unique tests of the E-M5 on his blog pekkapotka - Journal.

The latest is a DR or 'tonal range' vs the E-P3, along with a quite innovative test of the new IS system.

...just gets better and better!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice link! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He just added a post talking about the focus speed of 4/3s lenses on the E-M5. Basically no improvement over the E-P3.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    He just added a post talking about the focus speed of 4/3s lenses on the E-M5. Basically no improvement over the E-P3.
    I think there isn't enough difference between all these new "fast AF" cameras to even be concerned about. Most of it is just for marketing. And he who follows the marketing is lost. It's either fast enough and accurate enough or it isn't. At least that's how I see it - someone who has used MF exclusively for the past 2 years now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    I think there isn't enough difference between all these new "fast AF" cameras to even be concerned about. Most of it is just for marketing. And he who follows the marketing is lost. It's either fast enough and accurate enough or it isn't. At least that's how I see it - someone who has used MF exclusively for the past 2 years now.
    I agree for m4/3s lens, they are all fast enough. He was talking about the legacy non-CDAF optimized lenses. From the 12-60 I tested it was about a second to focus which isn't exactly fast enough for anything moving. I didn't expect much improvement from Oly's statements, but I know people are still asking, so I posted a link.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Great site here for a prospective Oly owner. It appears there are many great features, reading some of the blogs about AF with nearest eye priority, for example.

Manual focus with the magnification button looks easy enough too, how about those Voigtlander 17 and 25 f0.95 lenses, for another example?

RDG

Post Thanks / Like

I've attempted to edit my previous entry, after seeing several earlier topics on the Voigtlanders. Waiting on the camera now, lenses come somewhat later.
    RDG

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

dpreview have their studio scene comparison images up here :

E-M5 Studio scene comparison

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

dpreview have their studio scene comparison images up here :

E-M5 Studio scene comparison

Cheers

Brian
    Hi Brian
    These look pretty good, don't they . . . actually, I'd say they look rather spectacular

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

These look pretty good, don't they . . . actually, I'd say they look rather spectacular
    Heck, they look seriously good for such a sensor! Some posters on Dpr have concluded that Olympus is cheating a bit and the actual ISOs are lower than the nominal. But very good results nevertheless.

When modern smaller sensors are this good, it'll be interesting to see the new generation FFs are capable of. After all, the ones in current FF models are years old.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is an interesting/entertaining report (for details they want a few Euros, sort of pay-per-view):

Google Translate

Overall it can therefore be surprised by the noise performance of the E-thoroughly M5, for example, the Olympus beats the Samsung NX200 loose.
    E-thoroughly M5!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Some posters on Dpr have concluded that Olympus is cheating a bit and the actual ISOs are lower than the nominal.
    Olympus' exposure values have always been different than Panasonic's, and the E-M5 appears no different. My GF1 was like that compared to the Pens. It's pretty clear at this point that the E-M5 uses the G3/GX1 sensor, so any RAW differences are just going to come from manufacturer calibration.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another one (Polish):

Google Translate

Olympus OM-D E-M5 is another high-end bezlusterkowiec.

curious80

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Heck, they look seriously good for such a sensor! Some posters on Dpr have concluded that Olympus is cheating a bit and the actual ISOs are lower than the nominal. But very good results nevertheless.

When modern smaller sensors are this good, it'll be interesting to see the new generation FFs are capable of. After all, the ones in current FF models are years old.
    I was also pretty excited to see the results but the ISO issue does need investigation. E-M5 is apparently requiring 2/3rd of a stop more exposure compared to G3, NEX-5N, canon 7D etc at any given ISO. That is significant. G3 was already not far behind NEX-5N so it could be that most of the gain in E-M5 is through such manipulations and there is not much real sensor improvement.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Brian
    +1

This probably means that I sell all my Nikon gear except the F6 and a few primes. I have the OM-D on order and it's scheduled for late this month. I do need that Panasonic 35-100 though.
    We don't get wiser as we get older. It's a myth.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?gallery_id=61105
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive indeed, to my eye at the 5N level. Coupled with the mft 12, 25, 45 premium primes, the OM-D looks like a compact power package. Unlike with the new Fuji, I feel some serious GAS attack brewing up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to say, the dpreview studio comparison was shockingly good for the E-M5. Can't wait to see the thing being used in the real world.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

If I buy another m43rds body, or indeed if I stay in the m43rds camp any longer my most required feature is good results at iso1600-3200.

I've really started to get serious about bird photography. You can see some results in the 100-300 thread.

The biggest thing that lets me down at present is need the for fast aperture and a correspondingly high iso. Up to iso800 on the GH-2 results are good to acceptable. Above iso800 depending on light the results are acceptable to poor.

Looking at the Dpreview samples at iso3200 I'd say that EM-5 in comparison to the Pentax K-5 is not overwhelming when it comes to detail (imagine trying to resolve feathers on a bird) but still and improvement on the GH-2. However, not that much of an improvement and indeed all 3 cameras are marginal - which actually makes me feel good about remaining in the m43rds camp (i.e. the benefits of a move may only be marginal unless I go up to a D700/800 and some kind of completely unfeasible monster lens).

What I am saying is that I think I'll wait and see what Panasonic does to maintain its lead when it introduces its next generation camera. Or until I see some convincing high-iso EM-5 bird shots on Flickr or here.

If the next Panasonic camera is not that much better, I may feel like selling all my m43rds kit and going with Pentax or Nikon with an APS-C sensor - which would mean having to say goodbye to some very good lenses (like the 25/1.4 and 45/2.8).

Just my two cents.

Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess it will also be interesting, from a birder's point of view to see how the new IBIS compares with OIS... and of course, you could consider longer legacy glass and get stabilisation there for free.

Only good for when you're shooting handheld, of course.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While lower megapixels, I would not rule out the Nikon 1 with adapter and a 70-200 VRII. The VR is spectacular, the lens is a great performer (optics), and you are shooting 2 stops faster. If you want longer reach there are relatively inexpensive lenses that go to 300mm (810mm) or you can lose a stop or so with a teleconverter.

Not sure if you are doing everything hand held, use a gimbal but I did find a really good custom tripod collar for the Panny 100-300 and the 70-200 has one standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This points to the only major weakness of m4/3 at the moment; large aperture, long lenses. A 150mm f/2.8 and a 300mm f/4 would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    While lower megapixels, I would not rule out the Nikon 1 with adapter and a 70-200 VRII. The VR is spectacular, the lens is a great performer (optics), and you are shooting 2 stops faster. If you want longer reach there are relatively inexpensive lenses that go to 300mm (810mm) or you can lose a stop or so with a teleconverter.

Not sure if you are doing everything hand held, use a gimbal but I did find a really good custom tripod collar for the Panny 100-300 and the 70-200 has one standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the ideas, guys.

I either shoot handheld, or with my monopod. Not doing anything with a tripod.

Terry, never thought about the Nikon 1 with the 70-200VR. That is an awesome idea - although I remain to be convinced about the quality of the Nikon 1 images. Must check that out.

Godfrey, and of course, good point about IBIS. That is an advantage I never thought of. Especially with legacy glass.

Jorgen, a wider aperture is not necessarily an advantage, imho. In fact I would love to shoot at a minimum >=f8 (more detail) and >=1/1000 (freeze action). Except on the sunniest days you need a high iso to get to these type of apertures and speeds. What I wouldn't mind is if Sigma introduced the 50-500 or 150-500 for m43rds. That would be very nice indeed.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    This points to the only major weakness of m4/3 at the moment; large aperture, long lenses. A 150mm f/2.8 and a 300mm f/4 would be nice.
    Yes. All Panny needs is a 300mm f4 and a 1.4x TC

I used ETC mode for smaller jpegs when I needed more reach in Kenya. I would have liked the reach in RAW without major cropping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post

Jorgen, a wider aperture is not necessarily an advantage, imho. In fact I would love to shoot at a minimum >=f8 (more detail) and >=1/1000 (freeze action). Except on the sunniest days you need a high iso to get to these type of apertures and speeds. What I wouldn't mind is if Sigma introduced the 50-500 or 150-500 for m43rds. That would be very nice indeed.

LouisB
    I would modify that to say "A wider aperture isn't necessarily an advantage always." But sometimes, it gets dark or I need a shallower DOF. Then it's great to have the option.

Actually, the need for a 150mm could be solved if Sigma made a m4/3 version of the 50-150/2.8, but so far, the new version isn't even available in other mounts.

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, I agree. I wish Sigma would jump on the m43rds wagon properly. I always liked their lenses on Nikon kit. Well made, good IQ and good value. Maybe there are strong technical reasons why they cannot adapt them to m43rds?

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Jorgen, I agree. I wish Sigma would jump on the m43rds wagon properly. I always liked their lenses on Nikon kit. Well made, good IQ and good value. Maybe there are strong technical reasons why they cannot adapt them to m43rds?

LouisB
    There might be problems with the AF, but on 4/3, some of their lenses work great. I have the 50/1.4 in 4/3 mount, and it's a great portrait lens for that format.

Post Thanks / Like

My MMF-3 arrived. Took some shots with the 12-60 I just got as well. Can't wait for the OM-D.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheers

Brian
    Oh Dear,

I had a chance to play with the X-Pro 1 yesterday... it may not entirely be out of the question

Feels like an upgraded X100 with interchangeable lenses, a beautiful camera to hold and use.

I'll be checking out the samples around the web with more interest... I'm still a bit worried about some smeary samples I've seen with pre-production bodies and lenses. The sensor deserves the best glass possible.

In fact, I suppose this reinforces my desire to see a successor to the X100 with the new Fuji sensor - no qualms about the quality of that lens.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I used it and wasn't really impressed. I felt it was a RF Poser's fashion camera. it does take pretty nice pics tho.

Also from further up I don't think I could ever call the build quality of Sigma lenses "good". Unless maybe I was comparing it to a Holga or something. Some of them have pretty good optical properties in spite of their build quality. In almost all cases Tamron and Tokina are better tho - still talking about IQ. I think Cosina is probably the best company around these days who are dealing with 4/3. They made many of the Zeiss, Voigtlander and other famous lenses we all love so much and which actually do have a decent build quality. If I wanted to pay out for a 200mm or 300mm prime (or even a zoom) I would hope it would be one from them. Hopefully something in Superachromat or Apochromatic of speeds 2.5 or more. I recently tried the Cosina/Voigtlander APO Lanthar 125/2.5 Macro (1:1) and it was like using an entirely different camera. It was as if my GH1 had suddenly become a $3k pro body. I was amazed! It beat out every other Zeiss, all other Nikkors, Rokkors, Minoltas, Lumixes, Canons, Zuikos, Tamrons, Tokinas, and Sigmas I've ever tried. And I've tried most or the more famous ones. It was a clear smack-down, no questions! That's what we need. Another 200 or 300 from Sigma would likely only be a duplication of the extremely poor Lumix we already have. I want something nice!

With Cosina already making a few 4/3 lenses in the Voigtlander family I would hope for a long lens from them - not Sigma.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. I've tried the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 125/2.5 Macro on a Pentax body, and it was out of this world ;-) I remember it was around $500 when they introduced a K-Mount version, and once they stopped making them, the price jumped three folds.
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

Post Thanks / Like

It's about six or seven times that now.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And ya know what...? It's actually worth that much too. Your descriptive phrase is the same one I came up with too. "Out of this world", yep! The lens is just not from this planet. Maybe it was designed with left over parts from the Roswell site? (Not joking!).

Post Thanks / Like

Bif, the price of the CV125/2.5 is very much dependent on what mount is.

A Nikkor F-mount version is very desirable as it can be used with about any camera. The EF-mount is popular (pricey that is) as it is chipped and works as a native Canon lens. Some other mounts like the C/Y and OM usually goes for a little less. The PK-mount version is great for Pentax users but not as cool for anyone with a Canon or Nikon.

For us Nex, 4/3 and/or 4/3 users they are all usable and it makes sense looking for anything but the EF mount version - something that may save us some money.

It is worth that much? For some perhaps. If the F-mount price, in your link, would be the only way to get the lens I would much rather buy the 100mm Elmarit or try the Sigma and benefit from some automation, or buy a Mamiya perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got a call from Yodobashi and I can pick up my OM-D tomorrow morning when they open. This is the first camera/lens I've picked up new in such long time I'm kind of excited. Anything you'd like me to check out?
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I've rarely seen the OM-D pictured with other m4/3 lenses attached. Would you mind taking a few camera porn shots while your battery is charging?

Also, let us know your impressions of the touchscreen once you get it up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just picked it up. Everything seems fine so far. Small camera, little heavier than I remember, but it's a bit dense. The touch screen seems great. I picked up three batteries so I have some power. Going to take some photos before it starts raining in the next hour. I'll post some photos with lenses when I get back.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The wind today is far beyond normal so I came back early. Haven't seen this bad even when a typhoon came. Here are some photos with different lenses. I forgot to take some with the grip on. Anything you'd like to see? 10 photos below. Taken with the iPhone, so I know it's nothing great.

m43s family

45mm

12mm

9-18mm

20mm

14-42X

40-150mm

12-50mm

OM-D and OM-2n silver. I think it looks a little more like the OM4, but I only have that in black.

With the optical 90 degree finder
    Charles - flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Charles, thanks! I guess the full metal body must be adding to the density.

Would like to see it with the left grip attached.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the OM-D with grip and 90 finder next to the OM-2n with the same.

The grip feels very good. The dials feel pretty much identical to the camera dials. It does make the camera quite a bit heavier, so if you are looking for something lightweight it might not be the best accessory, but I'm glad I have it. The only downside is that the rubber covers might be easy to lose if you don't put them in the grip storage areas properly.

A few other comments.

At Shinjuku Yodobashi black was outselling silver 2:1, but they said that's still a pretty good showing for silver considering their customers. Other stores probably aren't split as much.

Anyone pre-ordering after the first couple days of March didn't get their camera today. Quite a backlog for a camera, especially an Olympus.

The new IS seems quite impressive. Not going to post any photos, but just some random crap in my apartment at 1/13 of a second and 150mm came out looking surprising well.

Haven't shot with it too much yet, but overall I'm liking it very much. Huge improvement over the GF1. I have a feeling that I'll want to keep a GF or Pen line camera to go with it when I want something more compact.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing clipped highlights in the EVF. One of my favoriate features of the camera so far, turning it on was a PITA. Left eye shooters might have a hard time with the back dial location. I can use it, but my thumb rubs against my nose a bit. The whole view finder is still easily visible.

The new shutter sound is awesome. Much more muted. I don't have an E-1, but it seems E-1 like.

The color of the silver body matches the 45mm, not the 12mm. Only people looking for it would notice it though.

I'm surprised how much it looks like the OM2n when I have them next to each other. I think the shape is even closer to the OM4. I'm curious to see if people think I'm shooting a classic camera. For normal people I think the different might be hard to tell apart.
    Charles - flickr
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks again Charles - you can certainly see the design inspiration there!

I hope you're right about the shutter sound, the E-1 shutter sound is beautiful.

Agreed regarding the clipped highlights, I've been using the Pekka Potka described method for ETTR and it's a breeze with this feature.

Hope the weather improves for you soon, stay safe!

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles, Thanks for the pictures.

While they look very nice, it also makes me sad to look at the OM-2n next to the OM-D. Terrific camera and how tiny it really is!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Nice looking camera for sure.

From your description of the shutter sound, can I assume it is actually quieter than the PEN line?
    Listen to my new album "The Drones" free on BandCamp. Visit my Flickr images, website, or blog. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't feel sad about the OM-2n. My OM cameras still get weekly use, it's the development tanks that need more attention.

I don't have a Pen camera with me, but it's more quiet and lower pitched than the GF1. I took some photos in a cafe and train today and it didn't seem to grab anyone's attention compared to the GF1 which often makes people look.

I got a few comments asking if I was using a film camera yesterday, so my theory that normal people can't tell the difference seems to be panning out.

Anyway, I've got a busy day today, but I'll try to post some photos tonight.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice, thanks for the photos and your impressions! Looks nice in silver... you're making me rethink my preference for the black. What do you think about the 12-50mm lens so far?

Also, how's the AF with the 20mm compared to the GF1?
    Last edited by ggibson; 1st April 2012 at 16:56.

Post Thanks / Like