The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

A

Allan Ostling

There is one feature of the OM-D which I think will be revolutionary: the Live Time mode. It is a time exposure just like the "T" setting on old film cameras, in which the exposure starts with one press of the shutter release button, and does not terminate until the button is pressed a second time. With film cameras a "T" exposure was always a guessing game – who knew if the exposure in twilight should be five minutes, or twenty-five?

The OM-D eliminates the guesswork, updating the live view as the exposure progresses. When it finally looks good, you terminate it.

There is also a Live Bulb mode, just like the old "B" setting on your old Leica dial.

This should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Re: Fun with the Olympus OM-D

>The OM-D eliminates the guesswork, updating the live view as the exposure progresses. When it finally looks good, you terminate it.

Sounds excellent.

cjlacz

I have to agree this looks really cool. This preview says that the number of updates is limited to 25, so for the longest exposure of 30 minutes the update interval would slightly exceed a minute. Still, that seems it like it works out well.

raist3d

The OM-D eliminates the guesswork, updating the live view as the exposure progresses. When it finally looks good, you terminate it.

There is also a Live Bulb mode, just like the old "B" setting on your old Leica dial.

This should be fun.
That's a really cool idea.

- Raist

A

Allan Ostling

That's a really cool idea.
It is an extraordinary achievement. No other camera has this feature. And its implementation baffles the techies on the Home Shop Machinist's forum. As one of the members (Evan) says there,

I am curious how it is able to update the image without disturbing the ongoing exposure. That isn't compatible with how present sensors work.

paparazzi666

actually, Olympus have always made GREAT innovations that make photography so much easier.
- Dust reduction
- Art filters
- In body image stabilization (cant confirm this)
And together with panasonic, a really fantastic EVF that is miles better than the optical stuff we all are used to.
So this is another really usefull innovation.

Brian Mosley

It is an extraordinary achievement. No other camera has this feature. And its implementation baffles the techies on the Home Shop Machinist's forum. As one of the members (Evan) says there,

I am curious how it is able to update the image without disturbing the ongoing exposure. That isn't compatible with how present sensors work.
Woah... did I just read this right? if that's possible, wouldn't it be possible to have massively expanded dynamic range by multi-scanning and combining?

Doesn't this imply some kind of global shutter mechanism?

Cheers

Brian

Rich M

Woah... did I just read this right? if that's possible, wouldn't it be possible to have massively expanded dynamic range by multi-scanning and combining?

Cheers

Brian
I'm just glad I stuck with the m4/3 format when I could have bailed.....it's getting pretty exciting.

And c'mon.....a 75/1.8 prime?.......if it's the same build level as the Oly 12/2 and 45/1.8, then I'm in.

R

jonoslack

I'm just glad I stuck with the m4/3 format when I could have bailed.....it's getting pretty exciting.

And c'mon.....a 75/1.8 prime?.......if it's the same build level as the Oly 12/2 and 45/1.8, then I'm in.

R
Hi Rich
I bailed - back in November when the NEX7 appeared. I don't really regret it, but it's sad to miss all the fun of this new camera . . .and those lovely new lenses too!

Jono... just a note to say hello really.

I tried the NEX7 at a camera show in Austin, Texas not long ago and I just could not get my head and hands around the form factor of the camera. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

I just returned my Fuji X10 last week as it appears that Fuji is not forthcoming with a true fix for the "Orbs" issue but rather a patch that lessens the issue.. just doesn't work for me. I did love that little camera and had some great photos from it.. the best ever from a small sensor camera.

Now I wait to see what the X Pro 1 produces... but this time I will NOT be first in line to buy one.

Anyway, just a hello from Texas.

raist3d

I am not entirely sure that's true.

- Raist

raist3d

Cheers

Brian
Not really and no. This is more about reading the ongoing accumulated data while keeping the data in place or read-> accumulate/reset and read again.

For an HDR mechanism you have to do different exposures. You could do the accumulation buffer but this is already done- look at Pentax's HDR (I believe Sony has it too but I could be wrong). That's been done.

What hasn't been done is to take those different shots fast enough that you could treat them like a "single shot" and then do the buffer join/processing. This is (this last thing) is what the Olympus high dynamic range multi shot patent detailed- to my surprise in rather extensive detail- making me believe that they were at least doing a rather serious investigation about it as a possibility.

This is not the same thing and hasn't shown up yet. I don't know if they hit a wall where they found a big issue or the sensor/readout is not quite there yet.

- Ricardo

A

Allan Ostling

Kirk Tuck has the best review, so far:

He is the first to report that it has a new feature for Olympus (but available on the GH2) – the ability to select aspect ratios 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 without cropping. This feature premiered on the LX3, and I found it to be invaluable.

If Tuck gets his wish, some future model will give us a square sensor, obviating turning the camera for vertical shots.

Another thing I like about the OM-D is that it has an ON/OFF lever, perhaps not as nice as on the X100, but an improvement over the power button on the Pen series.

ggibson

Kirk Tuck has the best review, so far:

He is the first to report that it has a new feature for Olympus (but available on the GH2) – the ability to select aspect ratios 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 without cropping. This feature premiered on the LX3, and I found it to be invaluable.

If Tuck gets his wish, some future model will give us a square sensor, obviating turning the camera for vertical shots.

Another thing I like about the OM-D is that it has an ON/OFF lever, perhaps not as nice as on the X100, but an improvement over the power button on the Pen series.
Sorry, but I'm pretty certain that KT's rep was incorrect, as he mentions in the edited caveat. The E-M5 has a 4:3 aspect sensor which will be cropped in 3:2 and 16:9 modes. Richard Butler all but confirmed that in a thread over at DPReview. Also, you can see that from the resolutions listed in the spec, 4608 x 3456 is the max resolution in both height and width (4:3). The 3:2 resolution is 4608 x 3072, which is just cropped.

V

Vivek

I agree with raist3d on this. Not a big deal. Every camera does this. Only here, you are able to see it coupled with live view. A small improvement but nothing earth shaking.

BTW, I thought the "fun with.." was usually used for an images thread. Perhaps someone should rename this thread?

raist3d

I agree with raist3d on this. Not a big deal. Every camera does this. Only here, you are able to see it coupled with live view. A small improvement but nothing earth shaking.

BTW, I thought the "fun with.." was usually used for an images thread. Perhaps someone should rename this thread?
Well the camera is not out :) To be fair, the feature itself is very clever- end user wise. Hasn't been done and I can see the use/benefit.

- Raist

V

Vivek

If I am not mistaken, Fuji S3 UVIR Pro was the first to offer this live view possibility..

jonoslack

Jono... just a note to say hello really.

I tried the NEX7 at a camera show in Austin, Texas not long ago and I just could not get my head and hands around the form factor of the camera. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

I just returned my Fuji X10 last week as it appears that Fuji is not forthcoming with a true fix for the "Orbs" issue but rather a patch that lessens the issue.. just doesn't work for me. I did love that little camera and had some great photos from it.. the best ever from a small sensor camera.

Now I wait to see what the X Pro 1 produces... but this time I will NOT be first in line to buy one.

Anyway, just a hello from Texas.
HI Jim
and a big hello back to you from snowy suffolk!
I'm not certain about the NEX7, but it's the nearest thing I have to a 'point and shoot' these days!

The M9 is still my main camera, and although the OM-D looks lovely, I don't really see where it fits in.

all the best