The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

Riley

Re: Fun with the Olympus OM-D

From what I read it's not constant, but only 29 or 26ms. I'm not sure that includes the shutter time, but it seems faster than even the D700 from what I found through Google.
yes there are a few things to be careful of here
lag for the EVF is 29ms
and yes that 'timing' equates to some very good SLR shutter speed responses
but that EVF lag may not be the only limitation to OM-D

so we still have to wait and see,
...........but IR will publish it when they do their review

Brian Mosley

There is always a caveat to Olympus claims. I bet it also says record breaking speed is also only at wide angle. I believe that was the case on the E-P3. Oly have great marketers who can deftly nuance words and meanings.
You can be too clever for your own good, but most claims have to be qualified... even if just to put a time stamp on them!

We'll know the truth soon enough, when we can get first hand reports here.

Cheers

Brian

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You can be too clever for your own good, but most claims have to be qualified... even if just to put a time stamp on them!

We'll know the truth soon enough, when we can get first hand reports here.

Cheers

Brian
Brian,

with all due respect, but the claim that the EP2 would have the FASTEST AF was simply WRONG.

How many cameras should I mention here which are faster?

SImilar fear for the claims WRT OM-D.

Sorry, once trust is lost it is not easy to repair ....

Peter

Brian Mosley

Peter, I don't take any claims by any manufacturer at face value. Especially marketing closings!

I always read the small print, and then look for third party confirmation on the forums.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Peter, I don't take any claims by any manufacturer at face value. Especially marketing closings!

I always read the small print, and then look for third party confirmation on the forums.

Cheers

Brian
I don't bother reading too many reviews or whatever. I go borrow or test at a dealership and see whether I like a camera, when I can find one to test. The GXR was a bit of a black hole as there were (are) no dealers who carry it anywhere near me. Luckily it worked out well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the E-M5 when it arrives at the local dealer.

Brian Mosley

Same experience with the X100... went, tried it for myself and was sold immediately.

It's good to read the thoughts of those I've come to know and respect over time though.

Brian

Bill Gordon

Hi Rich
I bailed - back in November when the NEX7 appeared. I don't really regret it, but it's sad to miss all the fun of this new camera . . .and those lovely new lenses too!
Gosh Jono, I look forward to seeing you and the new OMD in May when we get together...yet to be discussed. I was a hair breath from ordering but I shall wait until I can see it!

Cheers from across the Atlantic!

A

Allan Ostling

E-M5 Instruction Manual available for download

You can download the instruction manual for the OM-D E-M5 here: E-M5 &gt Product Manuals

I have that now on my iPad – good bedtime reading.

A

Allan Ostling

Re: E-M5 Instruction Manual available for download

You can download the instruction manual for the OM-D E-M5 here: E-M5 &gt Product Manuals

Here are a few things which the manual tells us.

1. The weight of the E-M5 (with battery) is virtually identical to the weight of the E-P2 (with battery) and viewfinder VF-2 attached.

2. Aspect ratio is changed by cropping (Kirk Tuck heard it wrong).

3. A still photograph can be taken during movie recording. Three files are created: the movie footage before the photograph, the photograph itself, and the movie footage after the photograph.

Jonas

Re: E-M5 Instruction Manual available for download

Here are a few things which the manual tells us.
(...)
3. A still photograph can be taken during movie recording. Three files are created: the movie footage before the photograph, the photograph itself, and the movie footage after the photograph.
That sounds pretty nifty. Then there will be no problems recording longer sequences - all we need to do is taking a still image every half an hour so? But that sounds too easy... I wonder if the clip before and after the still image can be joined seamlessly?

OK, I should download and read the manual myself.

Thank you,

les

Immediate impression form skipping through the manual is how well written and understandable it is. Having struggled with the documentation from various Panasonic's that a pleasant surprise.
The camera itself seems to have some nifty capabilities. If it gets the nod from respected reviewers, a switch to the other m4/3 horse could be irresistible.

A

Allan Ostling

Immediate impression form skipping through the manual is how well written and understandable it is
I agree. There are a few omissions, but these won't be an issue once we get the camera in hand. For example, p. 21 describes the enticing Live Guides, with sliders, accessible on the touch screen when shooting in iAuto mode.

It does mention three of the guides, though: [Shooting Tips], [Blur Background], and [Express Motions].

RichA

yes there are a few things to be careful of here
lag for the EVF is 29ms
and yes that 'timing' equates to some very good SLR shutter speed responses
but that EVF lag may not be the only limitation to OM-D

so we still have to wait and see,
...........but IR will publish it when they do their review
I wonder how this compares with Sony's NEX-7 EVF or Nikon's V1's?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter
Go for it - I like a good list :)
Just a few ones: Nikon V1, D700, D7000 and in order not to look Nikon minded, even the E5 had a faster AF when used with the 12-60. And all AF results more accurate. Plus only from playing around a bit with Canon, also the 7D is faster. This was under good light, the accuracy and speed are even better with lower light when you talk about any Nikon AF.

Not sure if I should continue?

My point is that Olympus marketing is always very outspoken with "fastest AF" , but actually if they would not claim this, it just would be fine! AF of the EP3 is fast, but for sure not the fastest and most accurate. So I assume the same will be true for the OMD.

jonoslack

Just a few ones: Nikon V1, D700, D7000 and in order not to look Nikon minded, even the E5 had a faster AF when used with the 12-60. And all AF results more accurate. Plus only from playing around a bit with Canon, also the 7D is faster. This was under good light, the accuracy and speed are even better with lower light when you talk about any Nikon AF.

Not sure if I should continue?

My point is that Olympus marketing is always very outspoken with "fastest AF" , but actually if they would not claim this, it just would be fine! AF of the EP3 is fast, but for sure not the fastest and most accurate. So I assume the same will be true for the OMD.
Well, I guess they've found a set of circumstances where the claim is true, be it ever so rare!
I'm inclined to agree with you though. It's a kind of reverse of the english expression 'crying wolf'.

My impression is that Olympus have probably the fastest AF of the mirrorless cameras (the EP3 was certainly faster than the NEX7). So I don't think we should despair of the OMD.....

Incidentally, I was off on a (rather leisurely) endurance ride with Emma today, and the official photographer was using an E5 with the 90-250, refreshing, and he certainly nailed focus (but lost points by taking dreadful shots of us!

T

thearne3

Some interesting pre-production RAW images over here:
OM-D E-M5 image samples developed from RAW - Four Thirds User discussion forum

The author uses a variation of the process often outlined by Brian: Viewer RAW output (no NR) to TIFF to LR (or your PP software of choice). In order to comply with Olympus restrictions on pre-production RAW, he publishes in compressed (1600x1200) jpeg.

The results are quite striking and seem to confirm a 1 to 2 stop advantage over the E-P3. In any case, the output looks pretty darn good!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Must agree that the images look really great!

Starting even more to hate Olympus, as they did not bring the E5 with that sensor - or the GH2 sensor of the time the E5 was coming to market. This would for sure have kept me as an E system user.

But the OMD seems to be really good WRT IQ and high ISO!

Brian Mosley

Bear in mind that Olympus viewer applies noise reduction to raw files, even when set to 'no NR'... but even so, the E-M5 looks to be a significant improvement over that of the E-P3 which is excellent.

Cheers

Brian

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Bear in mind that Olympus viewer applies noise reduction to raw files, even when set to 'no NR'... but even so, the E-M5 looks to be a significant improvement over that of the E-P3 which is excellent.

Cheers

Brian
Not only the EP3, but even more the E5!