The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What is odd is that I thought on Panasonic this is already normal. When you do video the OIS is always on and the view you see on LCD and EVF is already stabilized. So while the 5 axis maybe new, having a stabilized view certainly isn't.
The issue is that in the Olympus cameras this is built into the camera body - called IBIS. So it is available with every lens, also without image stabilized lenses.

Having shot the E5 for over a year I can only say that this IBIS was already superb. The IBIS of the OM-D must be even much better because of 5 axis are stabilized.

Si I assume that also stabilized view is improving.

Terry

The issue is that in the Olympus cameras this is built into the camera body - called IBIS. So it is available with every lens, also without image stabilized lenses.

Having shot the E5 for over a year I can only say that this IBIS was already superb. The IBIS of the OM-D must be even much better because of 5 axis are stabilized.

Si I assume that also stabilized view is improving.
Peter - I understand IBIS vs OIS and lens that aren't stabilized. This wasn't the point. With stabilization on Panasonic the live view is already stabilized and isn't jumpy. It seems that on Oly everyone is making a big deal of this new stabilized live view on half press -- which isn't new technology just new perhaps to Oly.

Brian Mosley

This certainly seems to be the most advanced stabilization system available... In that it will support all lenses and also works with video.

I wonder how long this 5 axis stabilisation will work with video on a single battery... and how they've managed to cancel out the sensor movement noise in video.

Should be interesting to read some first hand reports soon.

Brian

Terry

Yes, it looks to be very effective on the LCD. However it seems that people are getting blown away by the fact that all the sudden the live view display goes from a jumping mess to smooth and that isn't anything new and it doesn't prove anything really about how well the IS works on movies or stills.

Yes it will work for all lenses, but I would prefer a stabilized view without having to half press the shutter to get it. Will be interesting to see how this works when you want a stabilized view but don't want to lock your focus or exposure at that precise moment or spot in the frame.

This certainly seems to be the most advanced stabilization system available... In that it will support all lenses and also works with video.

I wonder how long this 5 axis stabilisation will work with video on a single battery... and how they've managed to cancel out the sensor movement noise in video.

Should be interesting to read some first hand reports soon.

Brian

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Peter - I understand IBIS vs OIS and lens that aren't stabilized. This wasn't the point. With stabilization on Panasonic the live view is already stabilized and isn't jumpy. It seems that on Oly everyone is making a big deal of this new stabilized live view on half press -- which isn't new technology just new perhaps to Oly.
It's a new thing on IBIS. For obvious reasons, it wasn't possible with an optical viewfinder and IBIS. Why it wasn't on the PEN models, I don't know. But this is marketing. They will listen any possible feature and call it news if it's even remotely possible. 95% of the potential customer don't have a clue anyway. They just push the shutter release :rolleyes:

Hosermage

What thrilled me wasn't the activation of the stabilization with half-pressed shutter button, but how well it was doing it. I don't know what you guys are used to, but coming from the NEX5n, I was just amazed on how much better it was at stabilizing, super fast autofocus, not to mention the tap on LCD to trigger focus and shutter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ok, understand what you mean.

Now here comes my point - with all DSLRs I have shot and stabilized lenses, (Nikon, Canon) there is a mode when the lens IS is always on, so you get a stabilized view as well.

So what is so new that we discuss it here? Please help me understand ....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes, it looks to be very effective on the LCD. However it seems that people are getting blown away by the fact that all the sudden the live view display goes from a jumping mess to smooth and that isn't anything new and it doesn't prove anything really about how well the IS works on movies or stills.

Yes it will work for all lenses, but I would prefer a stabilized view without having to half press the shutter to get it. Will be interesting to see how this works when you want a stabilized view but don't want to lock your focus or exposure at that precise moment or spot in the frame.
+1

Peter

Brian Mosley

I wonder if you'll be able to assign stabilized view to a function button... That's possible on the Olympus DSLR.

Something to check in due course.

Cheers

Brian

Riley

could be a matter of what AF mode you are in too. CAF might see IS on all the time after initial half press

V

Vivek

I wonder if you'll be able to assign stabilized view to a function button... That's possible on the Olympus DSLR.

Something to check in due course.

Cheers

Brian
When stabilization is active, that is all you can see in live view. No button can take care of that.

I think the Olympus demonstration is about how noticeably effective it is with the EM-5.

Brian Mosley

When stabilization is active, that is all you can see in live view. No button can take care of that.

I think the Olympus demonstration is about how noticeably effective it is with the EM-5.
No, you can have stabilisation enabled for the exposure but not enabled for live view (i.e. composition).

What we're told is that we can have stabilisation activated (or not) while the shutter release is half depressed.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

When I half press the shutter release on my NEX-7, the OSS in the 50/1.8 kicks-in and makes all the noise. Whenever OSS/IBIS/VR and such is active, with a live view camera, that is what is shown on the display. Why would anyone filter that out and cause extra shutter lag in that process?

How noticeable the effect of the stabilization and whether that is noticeable is another question.

V

Vivek

Confusing Q, Riley.

With the E mount primes (AKA native lenses, all have IF) on the NEX-7, the AF speed is slow* and for my use isn't accurate* either.

I don't have any zooms.

* In comparison with how the GH-2 performs.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've always looked upon the Olympus "art" filters as toys, but the one used in the last sample is actually rather cool. Is it possible to shoot RAW plus filtered jpeg?

Brian Mosley

I've always looked upon the Olympus "art" filters as toys, but the one used in the last sample is actually rather cool. Is it possible to shoot RAW plus filtered jpeg?
Yes, you can shoot RAW plus jpeg (in whichever mode you wish). Also, there's art filter bracketing if you want it.

I'm going to get those Fuji X-Pro 1 samples up again and have a serious think! unfortunately, I can't find any ISO 200 samples from the Fuji - but the ISO 800 shots look damned clean :facesmack:

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hmmm - they do look quite good don't they.
I imagine that the camera will appear the day we get back from China!
Brian - are you get an X-pro1 as well, or instead of an OMD?