The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

Brian Mosley

Hmmm - they do look quite good don't they.
I imagine that the camera will appear the day we get back from China!
Brian - are you get an X-pro1 as well, or instead of an OMD?
No, I think the X-Pro 1 is out of the question - I've got too much invested in 4/3rds and m4/3rds glass... and the E-M5 sensor looks to be a reasonable step up.

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

No, I think the X-Pro 1 is out of the question - I've got too much invested in 4/3rds and m4/3rds glass... and the E-M5 sensor looks to be a reasonable step up.

Cheers

Brian
The OMD looks fine to me too - I'm thinking that with the new teeny 14-42 pane lens it will actually make a fine 'pocket' camera - But I'm fussy, we shall see!

Amin

that sensor thing will never be resolved.
I cant see Olympus ever saying where the sensor comes from, but I wouldnt be surprised if at its heart its Panasonic,
rewired and retopped for Olympus by some contract outfit.

A source at another forum and close to Olympus told me recently that non of the sensors theyve used have ever been identical to those used by Panasonic.
From a certain point of view, changing the AA filter, or the CFA, or the microlenses, makes the sensor "new". From a certain point of view, Darth Vader killed Luke Skywalker's father Anakin.

As far as I am concerned, DxOmark will settle this. If the curves are superimposable on those of a Panasonic camera, then Panasonic made the sensor. If not, then things will have gotten more interesting for MFTs.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The OM-D also looks fine to me, only thing is I am pretty badly burned by Olympus WRT support of their E system and letting it go .....

Who can make sure that this will not happen to m43 in a few years as well?

They are really bad looking at their consistence of systems.

But the OM-D looks really great .....

ggibson

Well Panasonic is backing m4/3 as well, so it will probably continue as a standard for a while to come.

By the way, that portrait sample looks very, very nice. Now I want the 45mm too.

T

thearne3

For those interested, Pekka Potka has been posting early impressions and his own unique tests of the E-M5 on his blog pekkapotka - Journal.

The latest is a DR or 'tonal range' vs the E-P3, along with a quite innovative test of the new IS system.

...just gets better and better! :D

cjlacz

He just added a post talking about the focus speed of 4/3s lenses on the E-M5. Basically no improvement over the E-P3.

Tesselator

He just added a post talking about the focus speed of 4/3s lenses on the E-M5. Basically no improvement over the E-P3.
I think there isn't enough difference between all these new "fast AF" cameras to even be concerned about. Most of it is just for marketing. And he who follows the marketing is lost. It's either fast enough and accurate enough or it isn't. At least that's how I see it - someone who has used MF exclusively for the past 2 years now. :)

cjlacz

I think there isn't enough difference between all these new "fast AF" cameras to even be concerned about. Most of it is just for marketing. And he who follows the marketing is lost. It's either fast enough and accurate enough or it isn't. At least that's how I see it - someone who has used MF exclusively for the past 2 years now. :)
I agree for m4/3s lens, they are all fast enough. He was talking about the legacy non-CDAF optimized lenses. From the 12-60 I tested it was about a second to focus which isn't exactly fast enough for anything moving. I didn't expect much improvement from Oly's statements, but I know people are still asking, so I posted a link.

RDG

Great site here for a prospective Oly owner. It appears there are many great features, reading some of the blogs about AF with nearest eye priority, for example.

Manual focus with the magnification button looks easy enough too, how about those Voigtlander 17 and 25 f0.95 lenses, for another example?

RDG

RDG

I've attempted to edit my previous entry, after seeing several earlier topics on the Voigtlanders. Waiting on the camera now, lenses come somewhat later.
RDG

emr

These look pretty good, don't they . . . actually, I'd say they look rather spectacular
Heck, they look seriously good for such a sensor! Some posters on Dpr have concluded that Olympus is cheating a bit and the actual ISOs are lower than the nominal. But very good results nevertheless.

When modern smaller sensors are this good, it'll be interesting to see the new generation FFs are capable of. After all, the ones in current FF models are years old.

V

Vivek

Here is an interesting/entertaining report (for details they want a few Euros, sort of pay-per-view):

Google Translate

Overall it can therefore be surprised by the noise performance of the E-thoroughly M5, for example, the Olympus beats the Samsung NX200 loose.
E-thoroughly M5! :D

ggibson

Some posters on Dpr have concluded that Olympus is cheating a bit and the actual ISOs are lower than the nominal.
Olympus' exposure values have always been different than Panasonic's, and the E-M5 appears no different. My GF1 was like that compared to the Pens. It's pretty clear at this point that the E-M5 uses the G3/GX1 sensor, so any RAW differences are just going to come from manufacturer calibration.

C

curious80

Heck, they look seriously good for such a sensor! Some posters on Dpr have concluded that Olympus is cheating a bit and the actual ISOs are lower than the nominal. But very good results nevertheless.

When modern smaller sensors are this good, it'll be interesting to see the new generation FFs are capable of. After all, the ones in current FF models are years old.
I was also pretty excited to see the results but the ISO issue does need investigation. E-M5 is apparently requiring 2/3rd of a stop more exposure compared to G3, NEX-5N, canon 7D etc at any given ISO. That is significant. G3 was already not far behind NEX-5N so it could be that most of the gain in E-M5 is through such manipulations and there is not much real sensor improvement.