The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

nostatic

Seems too quiet on the OMD front.
After having preorders for silver (Adorma) and black (Amazon), I decided to hit my local shop. Lo and behold, an unclaimed black 12-50 kit came in that very morning. Have been messing with it the last two days. A few random thoughts:

Heavier than you'd think - very solid camera. Buttons are small but workable for me. The evf, while technically not as good as the one with my 5N (now sold), works very well. AF response is *very* fast and accurate. Beats the Sony by a mile. The 12-50 lens is longer and heavier than I'd like in a perfect world, but it is weatherproof and gives good images. It also has some nice tricks up its sleeve, like either regular zoom function or a video-cam style mode. It also has a macro mode that seems well behaved.

As for iq - well, no hiding place from physics. It isn't APS-C sized. I also have not shot raw yet so I'm judging in-camera jpgs (so sue me - I'm lazy). There are a bunch of menu settings so it can be tweaked. The art filters are fun but...they're art filters so mostly a novelty to me. Handling is a bit better than the 5N to me and the touch screen focus/shutter feature is really fast and slick if you want to shoot that way.

I'm finding that iso 6400 images are perfectly usable for my needs and even higher is ok as long as I'm not trying to crop or pixel peep. They have upped the bar from my long-gone EP1, but I did always like the "noise" on that camera.

The 45/1.8 is a great lens. Reminds me of Pentax ltd primes. I have a Panny 14/2.5 coming and wondering about the Panny 25/1.4 (if it ever comes in stock again). I also think I want to add the grip, at least half of it. That will push it more towards dSLR size, but still will be smaller than say a K5, and certainly is much smaller than my a77.

6400 shot my s/o took at my gig last night along with a crop (no, that's not me :D)

250swb

Thank you for all the real world examples posted, it pushed me to order an OM-D today, goodbye E3 and Panasonic G1 (but keeping all the lenses!).

Steve

etrigan63

Like a previous poster, I am going to swap to the OM-D from the NEX-7. Don't get me wrong, the NEX-7 is a wonderful camera, but I am keen to shoot some lowlight with the CV 17mm & 25mm (eventually) and I can't really get myself to like the body style of the NEX-7. Just waiting to hear back from Monza.

F

frelwa

New PCMag review: new Editors' Choice

"The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is the best Micro Four Thirds camera we've tested. It's got a top-notch stabilization system, is fully weather sealed, can shoot in all types of light, and ships with a sharp and versatile kit lens. Add it all up, and you have our new Editors' Choice for high-end compact interchangeable lens cameras."

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review & Rating | PCMag.com :clap:

etrigan63

Well my black OM-D kit + grip is on its way in a day or so and my NEX-7 kit will be mailed out tomorrow. Can't wait to put this baby through its paces. Now I have to save up for a CV 25mm f/.95!

250swb

They are now shipping the OM-D in the UK, with a free two part grip offer, I get mine on Monday, so, no work on Monday and maybe no work on Tuesday either....

Steve

Jonas

Oh, you can "work" all Monday learning the Menu system and set the camera up. I'm jealous of that free grip as I had to pay quite a lot for it here in Sweden. Well spent money though, the "horizontal" grip part changed the camera from something barely possible to hold into something fitting may hands way better.

Who ever works May 1 anyway?

Congratulations!

Knorp

They are now shipping the OM-D in the UK, with a free two part grip offer, I get mine on Monday, so, no work on Monday and maybe no work on Tuesday either....

Steve
Lucky you in the UK and IRL. Pre-ordered the EM-5, you're entitled to have the grip for free.
Looking at my G3 I consider the grip essential, especially with long and/or heavy lenses.
We 'continental suckers' have to pay 250 euro for this grip ... :thumbdown:

Anyway, happy shooting Steve !
:)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Another interesting GetDPI thread here.

Naturally, as an unreconstructed gear head, I have been looking at the reports of the new OMD, too.

Pluses I see: can take the Panny 20/1.7, the Panny 25/1.4, the Oly 12/2 and the Oly 45/1.8. The three lenses (the wide and the short tele, and one of the normals) will do everything I want.

Form factor seems great

Minuses: the smaller sensor (compared to APS-C, and FF) means that the Oly 12 is pretty much as wide as we can go, without going fish (please correct me here if this is not the case)

I am using a GXR-M only for the CV 12/5.6, and it works very well. I am using a NEX-7 with MS Perar for the go-everywhere camera (but really want Sony to come out with a firmware update for 1:1; I note that the Oly has this). That's a big plus; the GXR has this too. I find the focus assists a little easier to use on the NEX than the GXR, so have been using the CV 50/1.7 ASPH on it with good results. I have my eye on the Sony 50/1.8 for portraits, though (AF).

I have the Sigma 30/2.8 which will go on the NEX soon; I want to compare its use vs. the Perar (and I will be mentally comparing with the Panny 20/1.7 which I liked the rendering of very much).

So, because I can't find a UWA that works on the NEX-7, I have to keep the GXR in the stable. As well, I can't use from above easily on tripod without using eyeglasses (for the fold-out LCD); the GXR is a delight with its tilting finder, which has adjustable diopter (as an aside, this is the biggest drawback for the XPro-1, for me: no tilt EVF or fold-out LCD, if we are talking 'one body for everything). The Oly allows the use of the VF-2 and 3 for this purpose, but has no real UWAs...

My conclusion is that we're not there yet (the one-camera body solution). I love the look of the OMD, but the sensor size and the no-UWAs is a killer for me.

kwalsh

7-14 is an amazing zoom. Sits among one of the best UWA zooms in any format.

It you insist on being a "prime guy" the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 fisheye is amazingly sharp, so much so that it "de-fishes" extremely well.

But yes, if you are looking for something like the equivalent of a Zeiss 21 on FF for the m43 format you won't find it here - or probably on any mirrorless format for a long time!

Ken

biglouis

+1 If you haven't tried it, Kit, you really, really should. It's addictive.
A third vote for the 7-14. Firstly, it is a very well made lens. Possibly the best Panny lens as far as construction. It is also remarkably small for what it is (compared say to the Nikon 7-14).

As with all UWAs you need to view it as a lens you can't really exploit without the power of the distortion correction tools in LR or CS. I also find it a tad soft at 7 but if you fill the frame then this is outweighed by the incredible effects you can get.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a 12mm as well just for the extra stops and the fact that in terms of raw IQ I think it is a better lens.

Some of my best 7-14 shots are in the 'fun with' thread in this section of the forum.

Just my two cents

LouisB

etrigan63

I am looking at the 4/3 Olympus 35-100 f/2 zoom. From what I've read, it is super-fast, super-sharp, and has nice bokeh. I have requested a review sample. Hopefully it will pair well with the OM-D.