The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D (what is with the body covering?)

ohnri

OM-D has weathersealing.

That is huge to me.

Plus, better high ISO than my EP-3 and a host of other improvements.

Pre-order done.

Boo-yah!

Best,

Bill

bensonga

Has anyone read Thom Hogan's (byThom) posts re the OM-D? He seems awfully sarcastic and impatient re the availability of accessories, for a camera that hasn't even been released yet. I may go for the silver body model myself.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Has anyone read Thom Hogan's (byThom) posts re the OM-D? He seems awfully sarcastic and impatient re the availability of accessories, for a camera that hasn't even been released yet. I may go for the silver body model myself.
That is a man who apparently likes to see his own words published, lots of them.

V

Vivek

That is a man who apparently likes to see his own words published, lots of them.
Well said! :thumbs:

He relished the times when Olympus financial scandal was all over the place. He was everywhere talking about it.

Maggie O

I just keep seeing, in my mind's eye, a silver one with the 25mm Summilux on it. :clap::clap::clap:

greypilgrim

Thom Hogan

I usually try to shy away from even slightly controversial posts, but here goes...

First, all Thom was saying about the batteries was that it was silly for Olympus to already let you order the battery grip and not let you order the batteries at the same time. Kinda makes sense, no? He was pointing out actually that they have done a really good job bringing the OM-D to market awareness and then they drop the ball on execution things like this. That was the point of that part of the article.

And just to point out a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, how many posts have there been here regarding Panasonic's inability to get batteries to market for cameras like the GH-2 that desperately require additional batteries? :rolleyes:

And to be honest, I find his comments just as pithy and useful as are often made here on these forums by a number of members whose opinions I respect.

Yes, scary but true, I am actually a bit (with a grain of salt always and eyes wide open) of a fan... To each his own I guess.

There is one photography forum I visit regularly (getdpi). There are three photography based websites I visit regularly for information that has actual content that makes me think (his is one of them). There are three sets of workshops that I in my wilder dreams wish I could afford (guess what, getdpi and his are two of them)...

Guess I am saying that personally, I find his site and getdpi to be two of the places that are actually quite similar both in terms of tone and content. And I definitely see plenty of people who post here who are just as opinionated as Thom if you see what I mean ;).

Doug

Riley

I know Hogan to be a fairly decent bloke, I dont always agree with him but I like to know about his perspective

jonoslack

Doug, Riley
I think the criticisms of Thom were really a bit tongue in cheek - let's face it, he's about 1,000 times as useful and reliable as some other internet pundits (KR for instance).
I'm a bit of a fan too (sometimes at least) - it's just that he does go on a bit sometimes (but he's not the only one guilty of that!).
:)

Riley

oh sure I'm as aware as anyone of his 'differences'
had some interesting conversations with him off site
just dont like to see him being (as I saw it) systematically run down

Godfrey

Congratulations Godfrey - I wish I could be so sure that I don't want anything more (need? I need much less, but that's a different matter). ...
I really don't want anything more, but the damn Magpie Syndrome kicked off this morning when I stopped at the camera shop to buy a box of paper. Since the F is due to arrive in the next week, I glanced at his used gear. Both a '69 vintage 55mm f/1.2 and a '75ish vintage 50mm f/1.2 caught my eye. I hate stopping in the camera shop ...

I picked the 50/1.2 as not only is it the 9 bladed iris for better bokeh but the dealer had just put in $150 for a complete overhaul and service. The lens is perfect. And he tossed in Nikon hood and caps.

Oh well, so much for minimalism. It will work fine on three cameras ... GXR, Olympus E-1 and Nikon F.

I asked when they expected to see the E-M5 in, they said April. So they don't know much about it yet. ;-)

jonoslack

oh sure I'm as aware as anyone of his 'differences'
had some interesting conversations with him off site
just dont like to see him being (as I saw it) systematically run down
. . . and you're quite right to say so too. As I say - I think it was tongue in cheek, but even so, you're still right (I'm sure we've all had offsite conversations with him - I know I have).

greypilgrim

. . . and you're quite right to say so too. As I say - I think it was tongue in cheek, but even so, you're still right (I'm sure we've all had offsite conversations with him - I know I have).
Sorry, my bad, I didn't read it as tongue in cheek (obviously :eek:).

On topic, I still haven't quite pulled the trigger on a silver OM-D....

Doug

jonoslack

I really don't want anything more, but the damn Magpie Syndrome kicked off this morning when I stopped at the camera shop to buy a box of paper. Since the F is due to arrive in the next week, I glanced at his used gear. Both a '69 vintage 55mm f/1.2 and a '75ish vintage 50mm f/1.2 caught my eye. I hate stopping in the camera shop ...
Ah . . . yes . . . one of my problems is that 'the camera store' (15 minutes drive from work) is one of the biggest dealers in the UK - it's lethal!
I picked the 50/1.2 as not only is it the 9 bladed iris for better bokeh but the dealer had just put in $150 for a complete overhaul and service. The lens is perfect. And he tossed in Nikon hood and caps.

Oh well, so much for minimalism. It will work fine on three cameras ... GXR, Olympus E-1 and Nikon F.

I asked when they expected to see the E-M5 in, they said April. So they don't know much about it yet. ;-)
Sounds like a great lens - enjoy!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Doug, Riley
I think the criticisms of Thom were really a bit tongue in cheek - let's face it, he's about 1,000 times as useful and reliable as some other internet pundits (KR for instance).
I'm a bit of a fan too (sometimes at least) - it's just that he does go on a bit sometimes (but he's not the only one guilty of that!).
:)
My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek anyway. Sorry if that didn't get through properly. I value Thom's work, particularly as a technical writer. But sometimes, the message can be a bit difficult to find among all the words and opinions, and the article that started this discussion was indeed very long. Now, I'll stop writing while there's still some white space left at the bottom of this frame ;)