The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which pocketable?

jonoslack

Surely the point here is that all of these will fit in a large coat pocket . . . but none of them in a small coat pocket or a trouser pocket . . . and so the correct answer is obviously the M9 with a small lens (the Nokton will do fine). It might not be better at high ISO (arguable) but in other situations the IQ and handling is so much better that it's not even a discussion.

I think it's a really interesting series of images - just because it shows how little significant difference in size there is between these cameras

all the best

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Jono,

I am trying to do the impossible: one camera for all my needs, which are:

1) able to use the excellent CV UWA lenses without tedious PP (cornerfix, etc.)
2) must have 100% accurate focus on a tripod (for interiors and exteriors for architects; and table-top work)
3) must able to be focussed from above (can't get behind an M9 when it's on a tripod in the corner of a room)
4) be small, so carry everywhere

So, the GXR ticks more of the boxes for me. I have though about an M8, but understand that they need to have IR cut filters (I shoot a lot of fabrics in the interiors). Is there a right-angle finder for these bodies? Too late after a job to realise that you haven't nailed focus (tho', I agree, distance focussing plus ƒ11 works perfectly on the CV 12/5.6).

And the GRX is a delight to use with any lenses I have for it, table-top-wise, AND its built-in flash triggers my strobes (one of the reasons the NEX7 was a non-starter; the other the non-tiltable EVF; the other the corner and smearing problems with the CV UVAs).

I have been looking again at the 5N, while waiting for the same sensor to come out for the GXR. IQ wise with the UVAs, clearly great, and it has a tilt EVF, but no inbuilt flash (but can take a Hawke's helicoid!).

I have one of the X-Pro1s on order, but: needs aftermarket dioptre correction; this means my assistant can't shoot with it; it has no focus peaking (but I recall your remarks re. ease of focussing the NEX7 via magnification only), and neither a tilt EVF nor a swivel LCD, so although I think the rest of it is lovely, I will be back to two systems... which I do not want.

No, the GXR is it for now.

Maggie O

I'm surprised how big the 25mm Summilux on the Panny is compared to the X100.

iPhone, with Mattebox running for my all-time pocketable camera, but I have to admit to being in love with my new X100.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Easy choice. Smaller and much lighter than an XZ-1, full frame, optical viewfinder with rangefinder, well protected high quality lens, fits in any pocket. Available for under $100.

Now that they have launched the OM-D, it's time for the AX-D, don't you think?

But until then, I will consider one of these:

Last edited:

FrozenInTime

An AX-D would ge great - if they can stick to that 35mm FOV, OVF plus clamshell design - the sensor could be even be as small 1/1.7" and I would be happy.
But until happens, I'm sticking to the Ricoh GRD IV as my jacket pocket choice.
It's formula has stood me the test of time for GR1s .. GRD .. GRD-II .. GRD-III .. GRD-IV each just enough better to make the upgrade worthwhile.

For a higher IQ carry around I'm unsettled with no clear winner like the OP jumping around.
E-P1/12 or 20 ; GXR A12-M/35 and Leica M6 21 +50 or 35 ... but there's a M9P and a OM-D/E-M5 pair on order to update this trio.
I was thinking about changing the 20/1.7 to the 25/1.4, but as has already been commented on, it sure does look big, so I think I will stick with the 20.

I don't think any changes in the middle ground will stop me carrying the GRD IV.

"I don't think any changes in the middle ground will stop me carrying the GRD IV"

Have you had the earlier models?

I ask has my wife has the GRD 2, having migrated from the 35mm and the 1.

Is the IV much of an advance? My spouse is instruction manual averse and I have the camera set to write RAWs so I can recover the odd shot that is underexposed by two stops due to pushing a button or dial by mistake. She is a water colour artist and the camera gets mainly used for taking references. A quick look at the spec seemed to suggest that the IV is quite a lot more useable for available light shots - and that would be an advantage as both of us prefer to avoid flash whenever possible.

Tony

"the M9 with a small lens (the Nokton will do fine). It might not be better at high ISO (arguable)"

However, as the Nokton is 1.1 that must go quite a way to compensate for any failings of the ISO limit.

All one needs is the cash.....

Tony

FrozenInTime

Have you had the earlier models?

I ask has my wife has the GRD 2, having migrated from the 35mm and the 1.
...Is the IV much of an advance?
Yes I've had all 4 GRD models:

The GRD was painfully slow at writing RAW - I sold it and returned to the GR1s and Fuji 800 film for a while.

The GRD II went with me to NZ and returned with many great images. Though it was a challenge to retain highlights while avoiding shadow noise I used RAW 100% of the time to eek out as much DR and detail as possible.

The GRD III had more shadow detail and improved buffer. The LCD was very difficult to see in the sun.

The GRD IV has great tonality much improved over the prior cameras.
I use jpeg with DR expansion at ISO 200 90% of the time; for snapshots and friends and only turn that off and drop to ISO 80 RAW for set piece cityscape or landscape detail.
jpeg ISO 800 is very useable: it beats what I can achieve indoor with a Leica M6 and ISO 800 film. I use it a lot in dim room lighting and museums often with the 21mm wide attachment.
The RGBW LCD is superb even in the sun.

It's money well spent upgrading from the II to the IV :thumbup:

"It's money well spent upgrading from the II to the IV"

She has a birthday coming up so that may be an idea.

She always uses a Voiglander viewfinder as I have encouraged her to work that way and to work with the flash turned off. As long as the auto ISO lets her go as fast as the range permits I can always sort out the noise from the RAW using Lightroom.

We used the film GRS for an expensive holiday in Guatamala and Belize with my Hassy Xpan was stolen as we departed through Heathrow - and shooting with nasty Kodak consumer film as that was all we could buy in the departure lounge. But we got some great shots.

Tony

FrozenInTime

I forgot to mention the GRD IV adds image stabilization which will also help in low light.

If you can persuade her to use Aperture priority with +/- EV compensation :
Just by looking at the LCD : if it looks right there - not too grey or bright, your Lightroom workload will drop significantly.
Using the histogram would help even more.

There are also 3 axis level indicators which really help to nail down perspective distortion and get great straight from the camera images.

All these aids and the great new LCD mean I use the GV-2 less than before - mainly for the grab shots, moving targets and panoramic stitching.

P

Popey

"the M9 with a small lens (the Nokton will do fine). It might not be better at high ISO (arguable)"
Hi Tony,

Neither the Nokton f1.5 nor f1.1 on a M8/9 is really 'pocketable'.
I have the f1.1, which I use on the M8. It's quite a handful.
FYI, here's a photo which compares the Nokton to a 50mm Summicron, which is quite a bit smaller that the f1.5 Nokton.

I used to have a Ricoh GR1d, but got rid of it for three reasons: first, the time it took to write raw images, second, I wasn't happy with the quality of the jpegs and finally, it's only a tiny sensor. If Ricoh produced a version of the GR1 with an APS-C sized sensor or even full frame (well we can dream), then I would be very interested. Until then, I'll keep using my Panny GF1.
I got hold of a 14-42 'pancake' lens today and it's no bigger than the 20mm f1.7, so is eminently pocketable.
Image quality looks pretty promising too :)

Mark,

When you have a moment to spare would it be possible for you to photograph one of your Leicas alongside the Panasonic you use? I'm going to Focus in a couple of weeks but no dealer is likely to have one of each for me to look at.

Presumably you have an EVF for the Panasonic. Do you leave it attached when you put the camera in your pocket?

Tony

Godfrey

Pocketable:
The iPhone 4S running Mattebox, Camera+, ProCamera, TtV, or even the built-in Camera app. Fine for what I ask a camera I can shove in my pocket to do, which isn't much. If I need a film camera that's pocketable, I grab either the Rollei 35S or one of my Minoxes.

Beyond that, I never put a camera in my pocket. The GXR and M9 are comfortably sized to carry alone or in a modest sized bag, and provide great handling. The E-1 is a bit bulkier but more handy for hand-held work with longer lenses.

P

Popey

Mark,

When you have a moment to spare would it be possible for you to photograph one of your Leicas alongside the Panasonic you use? I'm going to Focus in a couple of weeks but no dealer is likely to have one of each for me to look at.

Presumably you have an EVF for the Panasonic. Do you leave it attached when you put the camera in your pocket?

Tony
Hi Tony,
sorry, I've just spotted this post - I'll see what I can do. I tbink Focus is this weekend isn't it? in which case, I may be too late!

Yes, I do use the EVF. It doesn't add significantly to the camera's bulk.

Thanks Popey,

Yes, I went today.

Panasonic did not even have a stand this year. Nor Leica. Nor Ricoh.

So any handling of cameras other than Canon and Nikon had to be done on the cut price retailer stalls who, inevitably, had hoards of people queuing for attention.

Oh, Fuji were there so I did handle their range. The little one, FX100, was pleasant to handle but is a fixed lens camera. The others are quite big compared with my GH2.

I'll stay with what I've got for a while.

Tony

dick

Hi Tony,
sorry, I've just spotted this post - I'll see what I can do. I tbink Focus is this weekend isn't it? in which case, I may be too late!

Yes, I do use the EVF. It doesn't add significantly to the camera's bulk.
I went to Focus... could not get there till the Wednesday.

Bought an Olympus 45mm f1.8 for the GH2 and CF2... I already had the 14-14 and the 20mm f1.7, so I have a pocket camera that is part of a system, and the GH2 has many "pro" features:
interchangeable lenses
ability to use studio flash systems
remote shutter release.