The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which pocketable?

nugat

If you were to choose one camera still fitting in your jacket pocket....

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
the x100 is a very nice pocket camera which I have enjoyed however it is just a bit large for true pocket-ability.
-bob

nugat

Hey, I also carry the x100 in my jacket pocket out of the 6. Best combination of picture quality and still pocketability (by some stretch of the pocket).

schuster

When my pocket's in a canoe, on a hike, in the snow and rain, bumped and dunked, there's a Panasonic DMC-TS3 in it. I added a Lowepro D-Wrap that adds an extra layer of protection. Image stabilization works well, even with the HD video. The Leica lens seems like overkill for the JPG-only images, though.

Tesselator

nugat,

Of the ones you show there? I'll take the most expensive Leica.

So I can sell it and buy a real camera. :D

But all seriousness aside, about the only camera would even think about putting into any of my pockets not on a camera vest, would be one of the water/freeze/dust/shock proof models that so many makers manufacturer.

Of course a phone too but that's not a camera. It's a phone that takes pictures. :D

pellicule

I have to second the iPhone 4 too, it was the one i had skiing in the alps this winter. But I may be tempted to change my pockets to fit the leica :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Is the GXR genuinely pocketable?

Tony
Depends which guise it comes in. Definitely with the S10 and P10 but also with many M-mount combos, one of my favorites being M-mount/Perar 35.

But, we are into "what is pocket size" The A12 28mm lensor also fits most normal pockets. I don't consider jeans pockets normal. I'm using the benchmark of normal size jacket pocket.

Keith

V

Vivek

I am waiting for a GXR with built in EVF to use as a "pocketable" cam along with a couple of lenses I have.

P

Popey

For me, it's the Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm f1.7, though I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new 14-42mm 'pancake' zoom, which, by all accounts is around the same size as the 20 when the camera is switched off.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@Vivek—hello there. If a GXR did ever come out with a built-in EVF (and I hope it does!), either it needs to be tiltable, or that body will need a fold-out LCD: I have completely changed my way of working (shooting interiors) with the present EVF which, while ergonomically irritating, tilts up fully.

If a new body does come out with built-in finder and no foldout LCD, I'd think I'd just keep the present body, assuming it can take the larger sensor M module.

V

Vivek

Fully, agree, Kit. A swivel LCD would be the best but I can live with a tilt LCD + a built in EVF and a flash hot shoe.

FWIW, the "optional EVFs" offered for the half blind m4/3rds cams are tiltable.