The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who needs this lens?

V

Vivek

The Sigma 30/2.8 for the m4/3rds. Available for "pre-order".

Anyone cares?

kwalsh

It is an APS-C design they slapped a m43 mount on. More specifically, it appears to be the lens for the up and coming Sigma DP2M which they slapped both a NEX and an m43 mount on.

Ken

Tullio

When I read that Sigma and Tamron were joining the m4/3 format, I feared that they would simply adapt some of their existing lenses to m4/3 rather then designing new lenses from the ground up. One of the greatest benefits of the m4/3 format is that the lenses can be pretty compact. Having huge lenses with those tiny bodies totally defeats the purpose of the format. I would not buy this lens even if it was f1.2.

Tesselator

I'll try it for $50. But I'll try anything for $50. And get your minds out of the gutter - I'm talking about lenses! :D

Seriously what I would like to see from Tamron and Sigma are some of their long telephoto lenses and some of their better zooms made AF and IS for the µ4/3 mount! The 50-500mm springs to mind from Sigma right off. From tamron there's almost too many to name but the 90mm f2.8 Di 1:1 Macro and the 180mm f/3.5 Di 1:1 Macro are both exceptional designs - as well as the Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)! All fantastically superb lenses which I own and adapt to my µ4/3 already! In fact that 200-500mm from Tamron competes with primes of the same FL costing thousands more. I really dig mine!

Those are what I would like to see from those makers. It's what is missing and needed the most IMO. 30mm f/2.8? WTH are they thinking?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You forgot the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro. Although it was available in 4/3 mount, it won't AF with m4/3 cameras even with an adapter.

The new Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS would also be an interesting lens for m4/3. Being an 100-300mm eqv., it's almost exactly what my most used telephoto zoom today, the 80-200 AF-S on Nikon 1.5x crop, represents. At 780g, it's around half the weight of the Nikkor.

Last edited:

Tesselator

Yeah, those sound nice! There's so many great choices they could have made. Why the 30/2.8 tho. It's a bit odd IMO! Maybe they're trying to follow instead of lead? Whatever...

cjlacz

The new Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS would also be an interesting lens for m4/3. Being an 100-300mm eqv., it's almost exactly what my most used telephoto zoom today, the 80-200 AF-S on Nikon 1.5x crop, represents. At 780g, it's around half the weight of the Nikkor.
Lighter than the Oly 50-200 and with a straight 2.8 would work well with a teleconverter. I would like to see that too.

Tullio

You forgot the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro. Although it was available in 4/3 mount, it won't AF with m4/3 cameras even with an adapter.

I guess the question is, what would the Sigma 50-150mm do that the Zuiko 40-150mm doesn't? It's a great little lens, reasonably priced.

biglouis

I'd go for the Sigma 50-500 or even the older 150-500 if it supported AF. It would make an awesome birding lens.

As for the 30/2.8 - without sounding too much like Jerermy Clarkson - what on earth were they thinking?

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'd go for the Sigma 50-500 or even the older 150-500 if it supported AF. It would make an awesome birding lens.

As for the 30/2.8 - without sounding too much like Jerermy Clarkson - what on earth were they thinking?

LouisB
Agree about the 50-500 or 150-500, but actually, the 50-500 is the older one, the original Bigma, although the version before the 150-500 didn't have OS. That one was also available in 4/3 mount but is difficult to find nowadays.

ggibson

LouisB
As Ken said above, these lenses seem to be designed for their new DP Merrill cameras and then adapted for m4/3 and NEX. I think they seem to be priced appropriately ($200 for the 30mm), and they're still reasonably fast. Inexpensive m4/3 primes aren't exactly plentiful.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As Ken said above, these lenses seem to be designed for their new DP Merrill cameras and then adapted for m4/3 and NEX. I think they seem to be priced appropriately ($200 for the 30mm), and they're still reasonably fast. Inexpensive m4/3 primes aren't exactly plentiful.
At that price, and if they are extremely sharp and have a very pleasant bokeh and rendering, they might be nice walk-around alternatives, but since the standard zoom lenses for m4/3 are rather good, they really have to show some extraordinary results.

P

Popey

I'm another one in the not needed camp. To me it's neither fish nor fowl. Too short and too slow to be any real use as a portrait lens. I did originally wonder whether it was a macro lens, but no, it's not that either!