The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Houston, we have a problem!

pophoto

What do you guys use for processing RAW files?
I'm asking because of my Panasonic GX1, and I don't see any m4/3 cameras in the Lightroom profiles for Olympus or Panasonic, so no lens correction either.

Please help!

Terry

The Panasonic cameras have lens correction built into the RAW files so Lightroom works just fine with them. No user involvement needed. Adobe uses this information to automatically correct the files.

Same holds true with Olympus however Olympus does not provide CA correction for their RAW files or for Oly lenses used on Panasonic bodies. Olympus does do distortion correction.

Net Net here are the combinations and corrections that are done:
Panny Lens
Panny Body - distortion and CA
Oly Body - distortion

Oly Lens
Panny Body - distortion
Oly Body - distortion

Terry

It just works differently. Panny and Oly built in lens corrections to the system before Adobe supported lens corrections. At that time it was the only way to make the corrections. No reason to go back and change it.

So, anything in the drop down menu would sort of end up being a double correction. Once from the RAW and once again from the drop down.

pophoto

Terry you are absolutely right, I am just saying that without you saying so, nothing warns me of this without some of research or asking in a forum. Thanks again!

kweide

If you are not satisfied with LR which is btw excellent piece of RAW converter did you ever tried DxO or even Silkypix ??
30 days trial Version should give you much fun and enough time to check whether it works for you.

pophoto

Kweide: I didn't try the other converters yet, although I've been hearing more on Silkypix recently, any good?

CPWarner

I usually wait for production releases of Lightroom. Anything in LR4 that you see is a significant improvement?

Tesselator

There's a "Fix CA" button in the beta. A few other little things too. Go to the Adobe site and watch their videos on the Beta upgrade. It'll take about an hour all total and then you'll know.

In one of the videos she compares the LRB4 workflow with CS5's Bridge/ACR/PS and gets a whole bunch of details wrong. But other than those inaccuracies the videos are pretty informative on what the new changes are and how significant they might be to one's own work flow.