The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GX1 - constant focus.

pophoto

I find my GX1 constantly focuses, even when I don't want it to. Point the camera anywhere and slowly it will focus to a point!

If I half press the shutter release, I can lock to the focusing area I choose, and I have to hold it, recompose and then fully press. This part is normal.

I want to be able to stop it from constantly focusing and secondly, I want to assign the back button to focus (let go) press the shutter button without refocus and just have it fully release the shutter, anyone know this is possible?

Main reasons for doing this is because I am used to setting it this way on my DSLRs.

Thanks
Po

pophoto

Is there small flash for m4/3, I have researched, but nothing like the 270EXII for Canon, or the Nikon SB400 which are great. Everything else is as big or bigger which defeats the point of m4/3!

Is there no yearning for one from users?

Terry

Check the menu to see if you have a setting called Quick AF or Q-AF set to on. I don't have a GX1 manual but that is a setting on other Panasonic cameras where the camera will focus without a half press. Generally happens when you steady the camera and it knows where you are aiming.

ReeRay

I own a GX1 and switching off Quick AF will cure this issue.

Your second point reference AF lock: the button you refer to is marked as AE/AF lock and depending on your preference either can be set in the menu. In this case dedicate the button to AF lock and this should suit your needs.

Can't help on the flash recommendation.

"Is there small flash for m4/3"

My research ended with the Nissin Di466. There are several around this size but the Nissin scored by having a bit more control, particularly in the fill-flash area.

I'd like something smaller but could not find it.

Tony

pophoto

Thanks guys for your answers, the Quick AF did indeed cure my constant focus issue!

I own a GX1 and switching off Quick AF will cure this issue.

Your second point reference AF lock: the button you refer to is marked as AE/AF lock and depending on your preference either can be set in the menu. In this case dedicate the button to AF lock and this should suit your needs.

Can't help on the flash recommendation.

Hi ReeRay, I tried to assign this AF Lock only, but with no success. Least to say I could assign it the function, but need to keep it pressed, and half pressing the shutter still re-focuses, do you know if there is a one touch AF for the GX1? I know most smaller cameras do it the way I just described though!

Thanks
Po

pophoto

AF Shutter OFF..... at first I thought the AF/AE Lockhold to ON solved my problem, however, this presents other problems with AF tracking and AFC! In AF Lock Hold mode, to engage the AF, I also found I needed to double press the button if I was changing focus point. With the one setting to AF Shutter to OFF, and AF Lockhold to OFF, the problems go away.

Yay, I seem to be set now. I think their manual needs some work....okay, maybe it's just me :)

This camera is a lot of fun. There's a lot you can customize. I have the Fuji X10 (belongs to my son now) and Sony 5n (the wife) also, and neither of those two I feel comes close in handling. I also felt PP in LR was flexible, the lenses you can put on the camera is good, I think m4/3 is maturing nicely and steadily. Missing the fast f/2 teles from Oly 4/3s though and that good small flash :p.

All in all the customization seems flexible although the camera is still new to me, they could do with a better manual to describe their settings/limitations more since the 5n menus have an info button, although that may not be for everyone.

It definitely feels more professional in terms of handling over what I consider to be toy enthusiast cameras too! The lenses are good, and have three of their fast primes, the 12,25, and 45. High ISO seems manageable too, I don't mind going up to 3200 and controlling the noise in PP in LR. It's a lot of camera for sure and hope they keep building on this type of model, a tight rectangular package. Definitely compact, and I might even take it over my DSLR on my coming vacation. Now if they can borrow some of the vibration control technology from Oly, that would be very cool, although I know Panny is about control in the lenses.

A happy buy for sure, but its only been one day, perhaps still the honeymoon period, how do you guys feel about the camera or m4/3 in general?