The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH-3 rumors- dumbed down GH-2???

Diane B

I've seen quite a number of people that prefer the tiltable screen to the swivel for still shooting. Never having used a tiltable I can't say, but I can see its appeal. I wonder, though, about how videographers would feel about the change.

I wouldn't see that as dumbing down but maybe rather responding to what the market prefers--if, in fact, it does prefer tilt over swivel.

V

Vivek

If Olympus were to offer a 2 axis stabilization instead of their newly developed 5 axis stabilization, that would be dumbed down, in my books.

That is exactly the case here with a swivel vs tilt.

Olympus are stepping up from a fixed LCD and no EVF to a tilt LCD plus integrated EVF.

Pana OTOH, :thumbdown:

f6cvalkyrie

If that were true, it would be an immediate deal breaker for me. I'm a big fan of the swivel LCD screen !

C U
Rafael

cjlacz

To be honest I'm looking forward to the tilt-able screen on the E-M5. I've had the swing out screen before, but I think the tilt-able doesn't stand out as much when you use it. At least for still shooting. You'll have to ask me in three months if I still feel the same way.

greypilgrim

With the swivel screen, you can use the screen for vertical shots, both for discreet candids. Or, for the sorts of shots I take where I want to compose a vertical perspective and am shooting at ground level. So, there is a big difference between the two, and I concur with Vivek on this that swivel is preferable.

YMMV as always, of course :).

That said, with all the other changes, I also agree with Vivek that the OMD having the tiltable screen, that given all the other additions (EVF, IBIS, possibly true photographer oriented controls, etc...), I am very tempted indeed (my bank account is not :p, so I would have to sell my GH2 :().

Doug

Diane B

As I said, I have no experience with a tiltable screen. For my own shooting the swivel works very well (eithter orientation, tripod, unusual angles) and I think that would be my preference if I could compare. I would love it if I could tilt it without swinging it out at times but I suspect that really isn't possible. The second alternative I guess would be to have a smaller discrete body with tilt screen and one with swivel (and all that might signify for its controls, usage, etc.)

kwalsh

Two things:

- It is a mostly useless rumor from an unconfirmed source. Ignore it, not worth discussing.

- I haven't shot with a tilt display, I enjoy my G1 and GH2 tilt/swivel displays - especially tripod mounted. That said, I can see benefit to tilt only - much faster to deploy, less awkward for landscape oriented waist level shooting. Obviously it comes with compromises - no protecting the display, no waist level portrait shooting. I'll almost certainly get an OM-D and then I can decide for myself. At this point I can't see one as clearly superior - they are just different.

Ken

V

Vivek

I, as many others, have a choice in Sony NEX-7 with its tilt LCD and very compact form (with a large sensor to the boot). Why would I consider a similar camera from Pana with a smaller sensor?

The swivel LCD is the only distinguishing feature when it comes to Panasonic m4/3rds cams. I was hoping that Olympus might catch up to that in a few years..

Brian Mosley

Somebody must have given them negative feedback... The E-620/E-30/E-5 all have tilt and swivel screens... I prefer them for tripod use.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Somebody must have given them negative feedback... The E-620/E-30/E-5 all have tilt and swivel screens... I prefer them for tripod use.

Cheers

Brian

Yup! The same folks who brought us the "will it blend"? :ROTFL:

CPWarner

I also prefer the tilt & swivel screen. Particularly for low level macro work. If you are composed with a vertical image, the Panasonic allows you to orient the screen so you do not need to be laying on the ground. That is a great feature. Used that today taking pictures of snowbells that had recently bloomed.

photoSmart42

It's not so much the tilt LCD that's the issue if the rumor is true, but for me it's the 'thinner' comment. Why even bother with different models if they're all going to end up looking the same - flat, tiny, hard to handle. The beauty of the G1/GH1 was the size - perfectly small enough for people like me, not too large to be bulky. I handled the G3 and it was too small for me. If the GH3 will be the same size as the G3 I'm officially out with Panasonic. I pre-ordered the E-M5 (yes, with the grip), and I imagine I'll be happy with that line for a while.

ggibson

The primary feature of the G1 and GH-2 (plus the similar models with many numbers) is the swivel LCD.

The EM-5 is looking more attractive now. :)
This seems pretty funny to me, since the EM-5 is lacking the very same feature. (I get it though)

Anyways, I've heard argument from people who prefer tilt LCDs compared to swivel because they're easier to use in landscape mode. Me? I've never had a camera with either feature. :grin:

henningw

The full swivel screens on the GH2 and G3 are one of the best features of the cameras. I usually flip them in so they are protected as well as not distracting me (and others), but then there are a lot of positions I can shoot from that I won't be able to with the EM-5.

The fully swivelling screen might take up more space, but I would sorely miss it. The GH3 better have a lot of other good improvements if they take such a step backward.

Henning

clay stewart

I had the tilt screen on the E330 and sort of found it to be a P.I.T.A. to use, so, I too would miss the tilt and swivel, if it wasn't on my next camera.