The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Modular L Plate for GX1 from RRS

CPWarner

I have been using L-plates on my cameras for years and find them to be really useful. I use tripods a lot and this makes switching between horizontal and vertical very quick. So, when Really Right Stuff (RRS) announced this modular L-plate I was intrigued and ordered it. For those that use L-plates I thought you might like to see this as it is a new variation which allows one to remove the vertical portion when not needed. You can even buy the base plate and then add the vertical portion later. Pretty cool.

Disclaimers: I have no relationship of any kind with RRS (well other than they take wads of money from me periodically :eek:), and yes these photos are pretty lousy :). I tried to take them while something was defrosting for dinner and did not have much time. Better photos here: RRS

GX1 with full L-Plate. Notice how they extended the grip shape. Nicely done and fits very will in the hand.

From the back:

From the bottom. They made it possible to open the battery/SD card door without removing the plate.

Without the Vertical portion of L-Plate: Does not add much to the GX1, and will stay on mine this way most of the time except when I need the vertical part which will stay in the camera bag.

Anyway, I thought I would share in case people were looking for something like this. The m4/3 has not been well supported by the companies that make custom plates in the past, so this is great to see. I should note that these plates are expensive at $60 for just the plate and $120 for the whole kit. But if you use these all the time, the dedicated ones that really fit well are worth it IMHO.

Cliff

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Very nice, Cliff. Pity they don't make one for the GXR—I had to hand mill one of their generic ones, and it does not fit as well as this one. Very nice.

tomh

Got the RRS plate for my Olympus e-p3. It is as good looking and useful as the GX1 plate. Thanks for the tip.

CPWarner

Very nice, Cliff. Pity they don't make one for the GXR—I had to hand mill one of their generic ones, and it does not fit as well as this one. Very nice.
Did that before as well! They probably have a tough choice as they need to sell enough to support the design costs. It has gotten easier with the 3D scanning systems that allow them to quickly render a camera body very accurately.

Cliff

pophoto

Mine arrived yesterday, and fits very well, a welcome addition to tripod mount and shoot some macro work! I also love how the opening at the bottom to access the battery and SD card, although you need pincer fingers to pull out the SD card :)

CPWarner

The trick I found with the SD card is to press it in and the slip your finger off to shot it out. It does not completely eject, but sticks out further making it easier to grab.

Cliff