The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm Optical Viewfinder

J

JohnW

Anyone know of a 28mm optical viewfinder in 4:3 format? Thanks.

John

Last edited:
J

JohnW

I've never posted a question with zero answers. But I guess that's the answer.

John

trisberg

I have the GV-2 and it looks more like a 3:2 finder than a 4:3 ratio.

Compared to the Voigtlander 28/35 mini finder it seems to have very similar optics and the framing is about the same.

-Thomas

cjlacz

I have the GV-2 and it looks more like a 3:2 finder than a 4:3 ratio.

Compared to the Voigtlander 28/35 mini finder it seems to have very similar optics and the framing is about the same.

-Thomas
I have it in a box somewhere too. If I find it I'll check. I'd believe Sean Reid in the other thread. Very well respected reviewer and I'd trust what he ways.

Brian S

Just to clarify: are you looking for a 28mm viewfinder to use a 28mm lens with your camera, or are you looking for a 28mm viewfinder for a 35mm camera so that you can use a 14mm lens on the 2x crop factor u43 camera?

If the latter, you could buy a relatively cheap Ikelite or other viewfinder and make your own 4:3 mask for it. Some of them are interchangeable, little piece of metal comes out, new mask could go in.

Just for ideas:

IKELITE VIEWFINDER #5002 For NIKONOS 28MM | eBay

J

JohnW

Brian, I'm seeking a 28mm viewfinder for a 14mm m4/3 lens. I believe the Ricoh is also an option.

Thanks everyone.

John

trisberg

I have it in a box somewhere too. If I find it I'll check. I'd believe Sean Reid in the other thread. Very well respected reviewer and I'd trust what he ways.
Hehe, you made me curious. I do respect Sean Reid's reviews so I decided to check my viewfinder.

Here is the plain view:

Now with a 4:3 overlay:

And finally with a 3:2 overlay:

Looks like it is somewhere in between. A bit surprising since I always thought my Voigtlander 28/35 mini finder was a 3:2 finder and its 28mm frame has the same coverage that the GV-2 has.

-Thomas

cjlacz

It does look like it's slightly off, but closer than a 3:2 finder. Nice work. I need to find mine and pick up a 14mm lens just to play with it now. (^_^)