The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Low Light ISO samples

Knorp

Thanks for the link, David.
I think ISO6400 is pretty good, but ISO12800 seems so-so.

Kind regards.

Brian Mosley

Robin Wong also has some real world examples here :
Robin Wong: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Bukit Bintang Night Shooting

Both examples are out of camera jpegs (or Olympus Viewer derived jpegs) with 'default' jpeg parameters of contrast, sharpening, saturation set to 0... with NR off or low.

You should be aware that setting contrast, sharpening and saturation to -2 with 'muted' colour... outputting in AdobeRGB to tiff and finishing in Lightroom will give cleaner detailed images.

When LR 4 supports the E-M5 we can expect much better IQ (better highlight recovery, better noise reduction, better sharpening).

These results from Olympus Viewer - effectively what you can get out of camera - are pretty impressive.

Cheers

Brian

Jonas

Brian, I can't help thinking some of the figures at Chip Online are very strange. Nice reading for anyone interested in the OM-D (as I am) but hardly the whole truth. What do you think?

Brian Mosley

I take the numbers with a huge dose of salt... no sign of the test methodology behind these numbers. Will wait to get a hold of one for myself, or until dpreview crawl all over theirs (just received today, apparently).

I've seen a whole range of samples on the web, from very impressive to atrocious... it's amazing how easily a bad exposure can ruin an image. I'm taking more care these days to get exposure spot on, following Pekka Potka's method here :
pekkapotka - Journal - Expose to the right, ETTR - with E-P3

The flashing highlights in live view are a godsend.

Cheers

Brian

Jonas

I take the numbers with a huge dose of salt... no sign of the test methodology behind these numbers. (...)
I had a second look. In the 5DMkII row I found the battery will last for 1190 images if you use the flash, and for 1930 images without the flash. Hmm, I don't recall any flash on my 5D or 5DMkII. Did I miss that feature... ;)?

We can probably just leave the table altogether for now.

I've seen a whole range of samples on the web, from very impressive to atrocious... it's amazing how easily a bad exposure can ruin an image. I'm taking more care these days to get exposure spot on, following Pekka Potka's method here :
pekkapotka - Journal - Expose to the right, ETTR - with*E-P3

The flashing highlights in live view are a godsend.
Pekka has supported us with some good reading of lately. I agree the flashing highlights are great. For the ETTR method I wonder a little about his method leaving the WB to Auto. My experience is that in-camera histograms usually answers better to the raw histograms if the WB is left somewhere between 5500 and 6000K.

As usual, and in line with what you say, we all need to try the camera and measure it against our own personal needs.

Cheers,

Jonas

Riley

hmm, not enough Sensor-Größe, thats the problem right there

once upon a time you could meter for hi light or shadow

V

Vivek

Riley, Yes and no. I was not sure until I tried the GH-2 vs the old G1. The GH-2, despite the higher pixel density, is clearly at least 2 stops better and is just so much better overall when it comes to IQ (vs the G1).

With the EM-5, I expect about the same performance as the GH-2 (not less) and that appears to be the case.

Coupled with that, the 5 axes stabilizer + grips, it is looking fabulous, overall.

Nothing earth shaking wrt to sensor performance but not a let down either.

Riley

well I think I will be sliding towards GH2 myself
really what I need it for is video, 30 fps isnt going to cut it
be interesting to experiment with everything else

RichA