The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Too chicken to buy the new OM-D, got GH2 instead

RichA

Maybe I've been pre-conditioned to brand new cameras by having owned a D7000 (focus issues) for a week and seeing the Fuji X10 orb debacle?
I was able to pick-up a GH2 and 14-140mm for $1100.00 so now I can wait (though I want the OM) for a month or two and see what the consumers say about the OM when it's released. The GH2 is my first new m4/3rds since I got my G1 a couple years back, though I've used others.

V

Vivek

It IS the best m4/3rds camera available for the past year or two? It is likely to be unmatched until the GH-3 shows up. :D

jonoslack

Well, having had my own personal little X10 debacle (with half sized DNG files in Aperture). I took it back and exchanged it for a GX1 with the power zoom. I was going to buy the zoom for the OMD anyway, and the package deal meant that I only effectively paid about £250 for the GX1 - I haven't had time to shoot properly, but it's almost exactly the same size as the X10, and the zoom does not have the irritations of the Olympus collapsable zoom (i.e. you don't notice it's collapsible).

Not as sexy as the X10, but decently made, and feels pretty nice to use. I haven't got the VF2 - I thought I'd use the LCD until I knew how much I liked it

ohnri

It IS the best m4/3rds camera available for the past year or two? It is likely to be unmatched until the GH-3 shows up. :D
I strongly prefer my E-P3 over my GH2.

It is unlikely that the GH3 will match the OMD, IMO.

Having said that, the GH2 is nice for well lit video, the GH3 may be better.

It is a good time for m4/3 photography.

-Bill

V

Vivek

Absolutely, you may have your preference for whatever reasons, Bill, but the GH-2 is still the best for still and video.:)

A

Ante_CRO

Absolutely, you may have your preference for whatever reasons, Bill, but the GH-2 is still the best for still and video.:)
Totaly agree with you! Personaly, I have one GH2 and it is a one hell machine! :)

RichA

Well, having had my own personal little X10 debacle (with half sized DNG files in Aperture). I took it back and exchanged it for a GX1 with the power zoom.
If Fuji produces a fix and starts producing good copies, would you go back to one?

bensonga

The GH2 is my first new m4/3rds since I got my G1 a couple years back, though I've used others.
GH-2 and G-1 here also. I was tempted by the Sony Nex-7, but then I got my hands on one and decided the GH-2 was just fine for me. I know I should want the bigger sensor camera, but I'm often amazed at how good the actual images from the G-1 and GH-2 look.

Since I've decided to stick with m4/3rds, the OM-D will be an attractive option in the future.

Which lenses are you tempted to get? I'm still considering the 7-14, the Leica 25/1.4 and 45 macro.

Gary
G-1, GH-2, 14-45, 14-140, 14, 20
Pana m4/3 to Leica R and Voigtlander m4/3 to Nikon adapters

jonoslack

If Fuji produces a fix and starts producing good copies, would you go back to one?
I don't think so - it's obviously going to be a while for a fix, and in the meantime there'll be other cameras with bigger and better sensors.

I did like it - but I wonder how much I would have used it in the final analysis.

jonoslack

Jono, what do you think of the power zoom?
Hi Amin
I haven't had time to put it through it's paces - from an ergonomic point of view it's fine - the Olympus one really bugged me . . rather like the 'please remove the lens cap and press a button' message from some other cameras.

Switch the camera on and the zoom works.

I'm not keen on the cheap metal lugs, but otherwise the build quality seems pretty good.

tentatively impressed!

biglouis

It is purely an emotional thing but when I saw the GX1 close up for the first time last week it was difficult to resist the urge to buy one. There is something about the form factor, especially with the little 14-42 zoom which makes it very attractive. However, as I already have a GH-2 I think I'll wait a while and see how Panasonic counters the competition from the OM-D. I don't think they will take too long to come back with something as good or better.

LouisB

RichA

GH-2 and G-1 here also. I was tempted by the Sony Nex-7, but then I got my hands on one and decided the GH-2 was just fine for me. I know I should want the bigger sensor camera, but I'm often amazed at how good the actual images from the G-1 and GH-2 look.

Since I've decided to stick with m4/3rds, the OM-D will be an attractive option in the future.

Which lenses are you tempted to get? I'm still considering the 7-14, the Leica 25/1.4 and 45 macro.

Gary
G-1, GH-2, 14-45, 14-140, 14, 20
Pana m4/3 to Leica R and Voigtlander m4/3 to Nikon adapters
I think the 7-14mm because I have a Schneider 25mm f0.95 CCTV lens that works pretty well on the G1. As for macros, I'm kind of torn. I could get the 45mm, but 'I've owned older 50mm and 100mm macro lenses before and might get a Nikon 105mm (manual focusing of course).

httivals

Another great lens for the GH2 is the 45-175mm X. It's very small and light and resolves fine detail substantially better than the 45-200mm (at least the one I have). There were some people complaining about the OIS at certain shutter speeds with the 45-175mm. I haven't seen a problem yet. Also, I don't expect OIS to ever equal images shot on a tripod or at high enough shutter speeds.

Shot on a tripod or at high shutter speeds at least the 45-175mm X is one hell of a lens, and the OIS seems very good based on my initial impressions.

emr

Sometimes I wonder if I should give µ4/3 a second chance. Last year I owned the GH2 + 14-140mm system for just some weeks before selling it. I felt that I just could not get decent handheld pictures in the house. The zoom seemed too slow and the high ISO was nowhere what I was used to having with a good Sony APS-C sized sensor.

But then again, it was the darkest time of the year. And it DOES get dark here around 65° North. Also, perhaps I should've given the camera a chance with a 20mm f/1.7 pancake too. Admittedly the video was very fine and I might have use for that today.

httivals

EMR - you ought to give it a second chance. I now have two GH2s. Started with a GH1 and the 14-140mm. I didn't like the lens. It was too large and too slow.

I have now converted entirely to m4/3s, with almost all of the Panasonic lenses available and the Oly 45mm f1.8.

The primes especially make the system sing. The 7-14mm and fisheye (specialized prime) are fantastic too.

The 45-175mm X is phenomenal for its optical quality + size/weight + price

Sometimes I wonder if I should give µ4/3 a second chance. Last year I owned the GH2 + 14-140mm system for just some weeks before selling it. I felt that I just could not get decent handheld pictures in the house. The zoom seemed too slow and the high ISO was nowhere what I was used to having with a good Sony APS-C sized sensor.

But then again, it was the darkest time of the year. And it DOES get dark here around 65° North. Also, perhaps I should've given the camera a chance with a 20mm f/1.7 pancake too. Admittedly the video was very fine and I might have use for that today.

nostatic

Sometimes I wonder if I should give µ4/3 a second chance. Last year I owned the GH2 + 14-140mm system for just some weeks before selling it. I felt that I just could not get decent handheld pictures in the house. The zoom seemed too slow and the high ISO was nowhere what I was used to having with a good Sony APS-C sized sensor..
I'm in the same boat, and have an OM-D on order. When I look back over the last few years, frankly I had some of my most fun shooting with the EP1. These days I have an NEX-5n, seduced by the bigger sensor and while I do like the files it doesn't really seem as fun to shoot. My eyes have gotten lousy so I actually need an EVF unless I put on reading glasses. I have the accessory one for the nex-5n and it is great, but bulky and I'm always afraid I'm going to tear it off. The OM-D just looks like a more balanced setup, and there are some lenses like the 45mm that I think I'd really like. I've had an nex7 on order for months but may bag it, sell the Sony stuff and go back to u4/3 for every day shooting. I have an a77 for things I need to do at work, and I actually sold my DLux4. Hoping the OM-D will be the "do most everything" camera...

RichA

I'm in the same boat, and have an OM-D on order. When I look back over the last few years, frankly I had some of my most fun shooting with the EP1. These days I have an NEX-5n, seduced by the bigger sensor and while I do like the files it doesn't really seem as fun to shoot. My eyes have gotten lousy so I actually need an EVF unless I put on reading glasses. I have the accessory one for the nex-5n and it is great, but bulky and I'm always afraid I'm going to tear it off. The OM-D just looks like a more balanced setup, and there are some lenses like the 45mm that I think I'd really like. I've had an nex7 on order for months but may bag it, sell the Sony stuff and go back to u4/3 for every day shooting. I have an a77 for things I need to do at work, and I actually sold my DLux4. Hoping the OM-D will be the "do most everything" camera...
Now that Olympus is offering valuable freebees in Canada and the U.S. with ordering the OM-D, I'm torn myself!

jonoslack

HI Todd
coming from a very similar place here (I also have an A77 together with the M9 stuff). I rather liked the NEX 5n with the viewfinder . . . and the NEX7, but I agree, had more fun with my EP3 in the autumn, and I have an OMD on order too.