The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Want to see how micro 4/3rs stacks up?

Fun comparison, putting aside the rigors of scientific method for the moment, my guess:

1: Nikon
2: Leica
3: Panasonic

I posted this on the Everything Foto site as well, but I don't know if it actually worked.

All the best,
DGM

C

curious80

First one seems to have the shallowest DOF so it is probably the leica. By the same logic these should be Leica, Sigma, Panasonic. Other than that there is not much to say here. At such a small size and with significantly different exposure, it is not possible to say much about the IQ or "rendering"

Brian Mosley

Oh dear, I got the Leica & Nikon switched :facesmack:

The S2... what a thing of beauty... :cry:

Thanks for the fun look :D

Brian

jonoslack

Brian Mosley;399799 The S2... what a thing of beauty... :cry: [/QUOTE said:
Just been looking at one at Schipol airport.
If I was Aboud I'd have swapped the filenames.

Marc, you may be right, but fun is fun!

. . . . except I don't have time to look . . . . off to china (hooray!)

C

curious80

At f/16 the m43 sensor is well into diffraction range so doesn't make much sense to shoot each system at f/16. Not that I wouldn't expect the S2 or D3s to be better than m43 anyway, but you are putting the m43 at a further disadvantage by first using a suboptimal aperture and second by using a portrait lens on it compared to the macro lens for others. Third, the overall exposure is brighter and as a result the m43 shot doesn't have as deep blacks as the other two shots. In fact I would say that the overall contrast is lower in the m43 shot though it is hard to say if that is due to the lens / sensor or the processing by the raw converter. That further reduces the perceived sharpness of the m43 shot. So overall it is fairly impressive that despite all these unfavorable choices it still comes so close, I would have expected it to be much worse. It would be interesting if you can fix all the issues and do the test again

Brian Mosley

I'm not taking this seriously at all, but it would be more challenging if you shot the Panasonic at f4.

I also find it interesting to see the tonality of the large sensor cameras - I've been able to get a similar flavour in my post processing.

Cheers

Brian

RichA

Looking for a little amusement today? I just posted a lens comparison, Leica v. Sigma v. Panasonic with a little contest on Everything Foto
The images as presented are too small to draw any conclusions other than DOF and colour appearance. Might be interesting to compare the S2 against the new D800E when it's released. The Pentax 645D images are better than the Nikon's, at least on Dpreview's studio comparison mechanism.