The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

e410 test shot

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have my eye on the 12- 60 also and may switch would like wider. Yes looks like we will have to protect from highlight blowing

Riley

I have my eye on the 12- 60 also and may switch would like wider. Yes looks like we will have to protect from highlight blowing
highlights are an issue with the DR/metering oriented to the darkside

trouble is if you have a -1/3 stop disposition to protect your highlights then you compromise higher iso b/se it introduces more noise. Thats why Jono is going +1/3 stop for 800iso, and going + more for higher iso. Some folks add a stop to iso3200.

Riley

ok i chased the inf on RAW processing and this is what I found, It pertains to Olympus bundled software, but I guess if C1 is a more sophisticated RAW processor it might be following the same route.

the author of this is usually right on the money

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=40275

from EB
"If you use an Olympus RAW developer you'll still have to be careful because it will use the camera settings as the default RAW development settings."

and yes I remember it best b/se I was wrong at the time....;)

jonoslack

ok i chased the inf on RAW processing and this is what I found, It pertains to Olympus bundled software, but I guess if C1 is a more sophisticated RAW processor it might be following the same route.

the author of this is usually right on the money

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=40275

from EB
"If you use an Olympus RAW developer you'll still have to be careful because it will use the camera settings as the default RAW development settings."

and yes I remember it best b/se I was wrong at the time....;)
HI Riley
C1 will almost certainly NOT use these settings - basically Olympus Raw developer behaves in the same way as the in camera raw / jpg conversion. As far as I'm aware no other RAW developer will use these settings.

I think the bright weather underexpose and high ISO overexpose is really true of all cameras (at least, all the ones I've used). I think it's why the D3/D700 have a tendency for very bright exposures as default. The old 'expose to the right' mantra - which is fine EXCEPT in bright contrasty conditions.

Riley

no idea mysef Jono,
Im on the hunt for editing software and will probably look at Bibble and C1 over the next week or so, although on briefly looking at Bibble seems it wont take 8bf plugins. I never use the Olympus stuff except for lens/flash/body firmware updates its just to darn slow.

jonoslack

no idea mysef Jono,
Im on the hunt for editing software and will probably look at Bibble and C1 over the next week or so, although on briefly looking at Bibble seems it wont take 8bf plugins. I never use the Olympus stuff except for lens/flash/body firmware updates its just to darn slow.
Me too
If I can't use Aperture I don't use the camera
:ROTFL:

Robert Campbell

I've found the Canon 5D to be simply too heavy for me to hold up or even carry around, and I use it almost exclusively on a tripod. However, the Oly 520 has given me back the ability to use an SLR handheld. Here's a couple of pix, taken at dawn yesterday and today, one with the 5D [tripod] and one with the 520 [handheld]. Both RAW processed identically in LR2 [including input sharpening, but not output sharpening], and the 520 is cropped to 3:2. I'm impressed with the quality of the 520. Maybe not a fair test, conditions not identical, but which is which?

And apologies to Lili for hijacking what was her thread!

jonoslack

I've found the Canon 5D to be simply too heavy for me to hold up or even carry around, and I use it almost exclusively on a tripod. However, the Oly 520 has given me back the ability to use an SLR handheld. Here's a couple of pix, taken at dawn yesterday and today, one with the 5D [tripod] and one with the 520 [handheld]. Both RAW processed identically in LR2 [including input sharpening, but not output sharpening], and the 520 is cropped to 3:2. I'm impressed with the quality of the 520. Maybe not a fair test, conditions not identical, but which is which?

And apologies to Lili for hijacking what was her thread!
Bottom Oly
:p

and sorry Lili . . . all you Olympus people!

Brian Mosley

Congratulations Guy - I have and love the 14-150mm OIS, the better option to complement this (future) lens for your E-520 may be the new ZD 9-18... super sharp, very compact and lightweight - perfectly matched to the E-520.

Here are a couple of shots taken yesterday with the E-520 + ZD 9-18 combination, a beautifully lightweight, compact and stabilised combination!

E-520 + ZD 9-18
1/60s f/8.0 at 9.0mm iso100

1/400s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

And a couple from our recent Safari Group "Open House London" event - using the E-420 + 14-150 OIS combination.

E-420 + PL 14-150mm OIS
1/800s f/4.2 at 28.0mm iso100

1/500s f/4.9 at 51.0mm iso100

We have a nice report from the Open House London event, which you can register to download here :
Register here to receive our Olympus Safari Group Field Reports

Kind Regards

Brian

Kind Regards

Brian

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man that 9-18 looks nice. Okay I could kick myself , left camera home and going to a hot rod show in Lake havasu. Bummed

Brian Mosley

I was just reading about Jono's soft corners with his Sony A900 - it's easy to take ZD lens quality for granted, but here's a shot from this afternoon, and a lower right corner crop at 100%

E-520 + ZD 9-18mm
1/50s f/6.3 at 9.0mm iso800

100% crop, lower right corner.

Kind Regards

Brian