The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP-3 bricked recovery options?

TimWright

Put in the latest firmware on my Olympus EP-3 today but camera won't turn on now. Is there any recovery procedure or do I have to send the camera in for service?

Annna T

Put in the latest firmware on my Olympus EP-3 today but camera won't turn on now. Is there any recovery procedure or do I have to send the camera in for service?
I'd try to upload the firmware a second time. Just in case it works. I find the Olympus updates rather tricky. Instead of downloading the firmware update and copying it to the SD card, you have to hook the camera directly, which is tedious because it takes a long time and the lcd remains blacked out without telling anything for way too long.

Then, when the warning telling that you should wait for the OK sign without touching any button. it doesn't even last as long as the blacked out lcd before. I find this behaviour weird and a possible source of confusion for people lacking the patience. I've been tempted to stop the process many times, but happily didn't and never got a problem.

Anyway, before sending the camera back, which is a hassle, I'd try to redo the operation another time, but wait a long time before doing anything with the buttons and use a full loaded battery.

Good luck

TimWright

Thanks for the info but I am sure it is dead. Left it with the battery out over night then put in a fresh battery but it won't even turn on. Dropping it at the dealer who will send it in for me. I have done many updates to various cameras but this is the first time an update has "bricked" a camera on me.