Site Sponsors
Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 750 of 2765

Thread: Fun with the Olympus OMD

  1. #701
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    With 45/1.8
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #702
    Senior Member Braeside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fife, Scotland (UK)
    Posts
    1,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Ario, nice tones and catchlights in the eyes.
    David Anderson

  3. #703
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    A few shots taken with the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon on the OMD. The last two were stitched from two images each. Unfortunately this nice little lens does produce smeared corners on the OMD. I haven't tried yet on the OMD, but I think that my Contax C/Y 28 and CV 28 f/1.9 will be OK.











    I almost forgot that I have the Canon FD 28mm f/2. Much better edge and corner performance on m43, but at the cost of some additional bulk and weight.

    Last edited by scho; 9th July 2012 at 16:48. Reason: add info
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #704
    Senior Member etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    One from tonight with the Zuiko 50mm f/3.5 Macro.


    Summer Sunset by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #705
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    OM-D with Micro-Nikkor 200/4, from the Botanical Garden in Leuven ...



    C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #706
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I didn't think that I would ever re-visit m43 world again, but here I am ready for another try. I got tired of waiting for Sony to implement firmware fixes for the NEX7 (notably auto ISO and the dreaded video button). After seeing the great image quality that people have been producing here with the OMD I caved in to temptation once again and decided to grab a nice little black OMD that showed up in stock at a favorite camera store. I'm shooting now primarily with legacy lenses and old adapters that I still have from my previous bout with m43 cameras. IBIS was a major factor in my decision to go with the OMD.

    A few first samples using various lenses. The old M adapter I had would not focus to infinity on the OMD, so that needs to be replaced.

    Konica AR 50mm f/1.7 Hexanon



    Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar
    Carl: Like you, I didn't think I'd be back to MFT! But, here we are. Great set of photos. I esp. like this one.

    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

  7. #707
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Detail.

    OM-D EM-5; Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2.0; 1/640s; ISO 200


    OM-D EM-5; 12mm f/2.0; 1/160s @ f/2; ISO 200


    OM-D EM-5; 12mm f/2.0; 1/60s @ f/2; ISO 400


    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #708
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Carl: Like you, I didn't think I'd be back to MFT! But, here we are. Great set of photos. I esp. like this one.

    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Thank you Matt. I've been enjoying your images as well. You've done some nice work with that Oly 12mm.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #709
    Member sangio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    24

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    OM-D with Micro-Nikkor 200/4, from the Botanical Garden in Leuven ...

    C U,
    Rafael
    Hi Rafael;

    I always enjoy your images of Belgium. I used to visit Leuven regularly on business several years ago, and the botanical garden was one of the favorite places to relax. The bars were pretty good too; I miss my Westmalle.

    cheers...
    Santo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #710
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    GAS is a killer. The camera hasn't arrived yet, and I'm already looking at Leica zoom listings. Is resistance futile? Do I have to ask?

    ...sigh...

    Matt

  11. #711
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    GAS is a killer. The camera hasn't arrived yet, and I'm already looking at Leica zoom listings. Is resistance futile? Do I have to ask?

    ...sigh...

    Matt
    Matt.....I would venture a guess that you are asking the wrong group.

    R
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #712
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    GAS is a killer. The camera hasn't arrived yet, and I'm already looking at Leica zoom listings. Is resistance futile? Do I have to ask?

    ...sigh...

    Matt
    You should rather look at all the nice mft primes, like the Olympus 12mm, the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm, the Olympus 45mm and 75mm. They are light and sharp ande won't cost you as much as a Leica R lens, even second hand; for me these huge heavy zooms entirely defeat the purpose of getting a small and light mft camera. If one has that kind of legacy glas left orphan in a cupboard, then it makes sense and will be fun to get an adapter and try, but now that there are so many nice native lenses for the format they aren't worth buying, unless they are dirty cheap and you want some fun.

    The small RF lenses of the M format makes more sense and there are some good small and light Voigtländer lenses around, or even M lenses. I had Contax G lenses left over from the film time and they are tack sharp and light too, but finicky to se. I don't have the same satisfaction out of my M lenses because they were faster and thus heavier, too heavy for the small mft bodies. I'll have to try them again on the OM-D to see how they will perform, but they were deceiving on the Pens and G3. They just produced ordinary results, without that wow factor they showed on film, to the point that I don't use them anymore, while I'm still using the Zeiss Contax G lenses (at least the two ones I can mount on the mft cameras) and love them.

  13. #713
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I'll have to try them again on the OM-D to see how they will perform
    Hi, Annna,

    may I suggest that you DON'T try them on the OM-D, unless you are looking forward to a sudden GAS push-up ...

    OM-D is a complete game-changer with regard to MF glass, and, with the grip, even with the heavy MF glass ...

    C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  14. #714
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    You should rather look at all the nice mft primes, like the Olympus 12mm, the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm, the Olympus 45mm and 75mm. They are light and sharp ande won't cost you as much as a Leica R lens, even second hand; for me these huge heavy zooms entirely defeat the purpose of getting a small and light mft camera. If one has that kind of legacy glas left orphan in a cupboard, then it makes sense and will be fun to get an adapter and try, but now that there are so many nice native lenses for the format they aren't worth buying, unless they are dirty cheap and you want some fun.

    The small RF lenses of the M format makes more sense and there are some good small and light Voigtländer lenses around, or even M lenses. I had Contax G lenses left over from the film time and they are tack sharp and light too, but finicky to se. I don't have the same satisfaction out of my M lenses because they were faster and thus heavier, too heavy for the small mft bodies. I'll have to try them again on the OM-D to see how they will perform, but they were deceiving on the Pens and G3. They just produced ordinary results, without that wow factor they showed on film, to the point that I don't use them anymore, while I'm still using the Zeiss Contax G lenses (at least the two ones I can mount on the mft cameras) and love them.
    Oh, I agree that a large zoom defeats the purpose, and the major point of the OM-D over the M9 for me is the AF, but GAS is never about what makes sense.

    I, too, didn't have good luck with M lenses on my first m43 camera (E-P1). I also haven't gotten a good feel, despite the many images posted, for the quality of the longer m43 lenses. The long AF zooms seem ok. Perhaps its just that no one is as enthusiastic about them as Jono is about the Leica R glass.

    Well, I have the 45/1.8, the Panny 45-200, and (hopefully later this week) a 12-50 kit lens. The 75/1.8 is also extremely likely. I'm holding off from the better wide stuff because I'm afraid that I'll never pick up the M9 again. But it's a good bet that the 12/2 or the 12-35/2.8 are somewhere in my future.

    Best,

    Matt

  15. #715
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Well while not a zoom I certainly am smitten with the Leica R 60 macro on the OMD.

    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #716
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    CV 50mm f/1.5 ASPH Nokton on the OMD. Boston Ivy growing on a retaining wall along the waterfront trail - will be bright red/orange in a couple of months.

    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #717
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    First post, thanks for the hospitality

    Leica R Macro Elmarit 60mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8





    Beauty Dish + Oly 45mm f/1.8 @ f/10



    Ciao

    Alberto
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #718
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    I've spent a few hours with the OMD in the last day and thought that I'd post a few shots.

  19. #719
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Kurt,

    Ashwin with a 645D. You with an OM-D. The world is going crazy!

    Seriously, how do you like it? I had completely the opposite visceral reaction to the OM-D compared to the S2 - but that was just holding them, not taking photos.

    -Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #720
    Member limbonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD
















    All shot with the lowly 40-150 handheld and indoor under artificial light.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #721
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Matt, with the cost of the S2, you have to resort to a restricted budget to get your M fix on.

    I've only spent a day with the camera, but so far I have to say that I really like using it for street shooting. I was looking for something a little smaller to carry around with me at all times and am now thinking that it might fit the bill.

    I've had an x100 for 3 months and have used it only a handful times as I find that the camera doesn't work for me. I haven't gotten around to selling it, but will now. A lot of people have hashed and rehashed the OMD pros and cons. I simply find that it works for me and I like the files and that's 95% of what's important as it means that I'm willing to carry it around. (They're not medium format files, but I don't want or need them to be.)

  22. #722
    Senior Member etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Noodling with a new OM lens adapter:


    My creepy son... by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #723
    Member gilpen123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    With the 20 1.7











    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #724
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    [QUOTE=gilpen123;434512]With the 20 1.7

    Great pictures, especially the first two. Interesting that you used the 20mm, I'd have thought it was shot with a wider lens.



    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #725
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Oh, I agree that a large zoom defeats the purpose, and the major point of the OM-D over the M9 for me is the AF, but GAS is never about what makes sense.

    I, too, didn't have good luck with M lenses on my first m43 camera (E-P1). I also haven't gotten a good feel, despite the many images posted, for the quality of the longer m43 lenses. The long AF zooms seem ok. Perhaps its just that no one is as enthusiastic about them as Jono is about the Leica R glass.

    Well, I have the 45/1.8, the Panny 45-200, and (hopefully later this week) a 12-50 kit lens. The 75/1.8 is also extremely likely. I'm holding off from the better wide stuff because I'm afraid that I'll never pick up the M9 again. But it's a good bet that the 12/2 or the 12-35/2.8 are somewhere in my future.

    Best,

    Matt
    Matt: I've become a fan of the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 on the OMD. It's small and light and has respectable IQ. I used it a lot on my trip to the Palouse. I've also got the Olympus m.Zuiko 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7, but, I haven't really used it that much. I'm hoping to take it out to shoot a sailboat race. Last time, I did that, was with a D700 and a 200-400mm f/4. Should be an interesting comparison.

    Here's the Panasonic, first at 175mm, and then 120mm, and 45mm:







    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #726
    Member gilpen123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Thanks Anna. The 20 1.7 is a great lens to use IMO very flexible focal length. A bit wide and a bit normal, just in between. Though it's acting up sometimes like freezing the OMD. Maybe an FW update will address this issue.

    [QUOTE=Annna T;434515]
    Quote Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
    With the 20 1.7

    Great pictures, especially the first two. Interesting that you used the 20mm, I'd have thought it was shot with a wider lens.




  27. #727
    Senior Member DHart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific NorthWest
    Posts
    472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Matt:



    Cheers, Matt

    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Matt... I like this one... the simple zen-ness is wonderful. I'll bet it would be great as a structured B&W as well.
    Don

    "Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #728
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    OM-D just arrived. Much better with grip. This must be what it feels like when the Hulk pics up a 1DsIII.

    Pics soon,

    Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #729
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Matt, congrats with your E-M5, I'm sure you'll love it.
    Regarding the grip, I'd say the grip makes the E-M5.
    Or is that too bold a statement ?

    Happy shooting !
    Bart ...

  30. #730
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
    With the 20 1.7
    (images)
    Hi,

    What kind of a place, if the expression is allowed, is the image above taken at?

  31. #731
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Matt... I like this one... the simple zen-ness is wonderful. I'll bet it would be great as a structured B&W as well.
    Indeed, I agree.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #732
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Matt, congrats with your E-M5, I'm sure you'll love it.
    Regarding the grip, I'd say the grip makes the E-M5.
    Or is that too bold a statement ?
    No it isn't; my hands, medium sized as they are, agree.

  33. #733
    Member smartwombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    11

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Comparing with the grip and 100-300 Panny lens to the kit 12-50 and no grip the cameras feel totally different.
    The lightness and quietness of the camera with the 12-50 is brilliant.
    And the extra grip I get with the HLD-6 complements the 100-300.

    I think I want another grip, just for the extra battery capacity.

  34. #734
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    OK. First walk with new and incomprehensible camera. Completely new for me is the ability to shoot on the street in WLF mode. It looks like you're just poking at a touch screen to go through menus, but you're really capturing this wily and sophisticated character. (45/1.8)


    Woohoo,

    Matt

    Re: The Grip, I have wide hands, and without both grip pieces attached, I feel like I'm holding on with too few fingers. Canon handstrap already attached.
    Last edited by MGrayson; 11th July 2012 at 12:32.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #735
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    This disturbingly flame-like reflection is, creepily, at ground zero.
    Panny 45-200 at 124mm f/7.1. Really, a pretty sharp lens. Plenty of purple fringing, but then it's a bright background.


    Sorry about the branch....

    -Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 11th July 2012 at 13:41.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #736
    Member gilpen123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    This is a retreat place of a religious sect. This place is about 8 hectares gated place. The blue building is a hotel inside the compound.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Hi,

    What kind of a place, if the expression is allowed, is the image above taken at?

  37. #737
    Member smartwombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    11

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Body on the beach.
    He needs a sign saying "I aten't dead" Pratchett-style.

    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #738
    Member jnewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by smartwombat View Post
    Comparing with the grip and 100-300 Panny lens to the kit 12-50 and no grip the cameras feel totally different.
    The lightness and quietness of the camera with the 12-50 is brilliant.
    And the extra grip I get with the HLD-6 complements the 100-300.

    I think I want another grip, just for the extra battery capacity.
    Bought the last one Amazon had in stock earlier this week, sort of on a dare to myself. Thought I would give it a try and see, probably return it. Put it on and thought 'wow.' As you said, I think it will be a big help with the 100-300mm.

  39. #739
    Easyki
    Guest

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    OM-D with Micro-Nikkor 200/4, from the Botanical Garden in Leuven ...



    C U,
    Rafael
    Hi Raf, great picture! I too have some Nikon legacy glass ąnd an OMD, so my question: which adapter do you use and where did you buy it?
    Thanks
    Kind regards,
    Kris
    Antwerpen
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #740
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Hi, Kris,

    thanks for commenting !

    I have several Nikon F-mount adapters, but I mostly use the cheap ones from the EBay ... You'll find many seller, I'm sure

    I also own 2 more expensive adapters from fotodiox (the "pro" ones, with the tripod fixation and shift mechanism) but I'm not happy with them, because no Nikkor lens reaches infinity on them ... So, stay away from those !

    Greets from La Hulpe,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  41. #741
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    HI There
    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    You should rather look at all the nice mft primes, like the Olympus 12mm, the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm, the Olympus 45mm and 75mm. They are light and sharp ande won't cost you as much as a Leica R lens, even second hand; for me these huge heavy zooms entirely defeat the purpose of getting a small and light mft camera. If one has that kind of legacy glas left orphan in a cupboard, then it makes sense and will be fun to get an adapter and try, but now that there are so many nice native lenses for the format they aren't worth buying, unless they are dirty cheap and you want some fun.
    It depends entirely on where you're coming from. The small primes are lovely (I have some of them, but they don't get used too much)

    I'm using the OMD as an alternative to an SLR - and the results are as good (or nearly as good) as anything I'm going to get this side of a full frame behemoth. I like to use telephoto lenses, and you have to bear in mind that if you put a 900gm 80-200 f4 Leica zoom on the camera, for everything except dof purposes you're getting a 160-400 f4 image stabilised zoom . . . . a 200-400 Nikon f4 zoom weighs 3.1/2 kg and costs about 8 times as much as a decent secondhand R lens (and I bet it isn't any better quality). As for the depth of field, at those focal lengths more is usually an advantage.

    An OMD with the panny 12-35 f2.8 weighs 750 gms. a D800 with the Nikon 24-70 weighs nearly 3 times as much.


    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    The small RF lenses of the M format makes more sense and there are some good small and light Voigtländer lenses around, or even M lenses. I had Contax G lenses left over from the film time and they are tack sharp and light too, but finicky to se. I don't have the same satisfaction out of my M lenses because they were faster and thus heavier, too heavy for the small mft bodies. I'll have to try them again on the OM-D to see how they will perform, but they were deceiving on the Pens and G3. They just produced ordinary results, without that wow factor they showed on film, to the point that I don't use them anymore, while I'm still using the Zeiss Contax G lenses (at least the two ones I can mount on the mft cameras) and love them.
    Again - horses for courses - I have lots of M lenses . . .but no adapter for the OMD, because I'd rather use them on an M9. . . . and if I want to use fast primes on an OMD THEN I'll use the m4/3 lenses which are great and have AF as well.

    So, for my purposes it's the long 'heavy' zooms which are often more relevant than the small light primes.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #742
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    HI Matt
    congratulations on your OMD - I hope you like it as much as we all seem to!

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Oh, I agree that a large zoom defeats the purpose, and the major point of the OM-D over the M9 for me is the AF, but GAS is never about what makes sense.
    See my post above - it depends what your purpose is!

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I, too, didn't have good luck with M lenses on my first m43 camera (E-P1). I also haven't gotten a good feel, despite the many images posted, for the quality of the longer m43 lenses. The long AF zooms seem ok. Perhaps its just that no one is as enthusiastic about them as Jono is about the Leica R glass.
    As I said above - I'm not very interested in putting M lenses on the OMD (and don't even have an adapter) - because there are good primes from panasonic and olympus which have AF . . . and I have an M9 to put the M lenses on. R lenses are quite a different kettle of fish - the 'peripheral' lenses are not too expensive, and they really are terribly good (the 60 elmarit macro is a stunner) with easy MF and good Image Stabilisation they make perfect sense as high quality telephotos on the OMD (and the heavy is relative here!).

    I'm hoping that Leica bring out the fabled R solution - and then my R lenses will take on a new lease of life, but they haven't cost me a great deal, and I like using them.

    . . . . Lovely shot too!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  43. #743
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Jono,

    I suppose my real question is - why not the Panasonic or Olympus zooms? Even the very inexpensive 45-200 gives sharp results, and has AF. I suppose this question is odd from someone out of who's cold dead fingers you'd have to pry the 28 Cron, but what does the R zoom get you that you can't get in a lighter and cheaper package from the MFT manufacturers?

    Granted, I've had the camera for less than a day, but mounting a 75 Cron on the OM-D feels front heavy and difficult to focus. Yes, I know, practice practice...

    Now an adapter for my Canon 400/5.6... that would be nice.

    Best,

    Matt

    (BTW: have we settled on an abbreviation? Is it m43, MFT, u43, ??? I like the last one, but it's the most confusing )

  44. #744
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    (BTW: have we settled on an abbreviation? Is it m43, MFT, u43, ??? I like the last one, but it's the most confusing )
    I'd say m43 is fine, but u43 is not correct, 𝛍43 seems better.

    All the best.
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #745
    brian1208
    Guest

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Now an adapter for my Canon 400/5.6... that would be nice
    I recently got the Kipon EOS to m4/3rds adapter which lets me use my sigma 400 f5.6 (a poor man's canon f5.6L )

    Works a treat and is hand-holdable with IS 1 enabled (although I prefer it off my monopod still)

  46. #746
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I'd say m43 is fine, but u43 is not correct, ��43 seems better.

    All the best.
    Yeah, but I can't find the 'mu' key on my keyboard. Oh! Option-m!
    [Valerie Harper] µ..µ..µ..
    [Billy Crystal] I can't heeear you!
    [VH] ..µ....µ!

    Thank you!

    Matt

  47. #747
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
    I recently got the Kipon EOS to m4/3rds adapter which lets me use my sigma 400 f5.6 (a poor man's canon f5.6L )

    Works a treat and is hand-holdable with IS 1 enabled (although I prefer it off my monopod still)
    Oh, thank you! I always wanted an 800mm lens.

    --Matt

  48. #748
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Jono,

    I suppose my real question is - why not the Panasonic or Olympus zooms? Even the very inexpensive 45-200 gives sharp results, and has AF. I suppose this question is odd from someone out of who's cold dead fingers you'd have to pry the 28 Cron, but what does the R zoom get you that you can't get in a lighter and cheaper package from the MFT manufacturers?
    HI Matt

    Well . . . I feel the results with the R lenses have an extra dimension to them (just like your 28 'cron), and I have no problem with MF for most of what I do. But sure - I also have some of the µ43 zooms as well, and as you say they're fine.

    As for handling - you just get used to the fact that you're holding the lens with a body attached rather than the other way around!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #749
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    This disturbingly flame-like reflection is, creepily, at ground zero.
    Panny 45-200 at 124mm f/7.1. Really, a pretty sharp lens. Plenty of purple fringing, but then it's a bright background.


    Sorry about the branch....

    -Matt
    It sure is! It almost looks CG contrived to instill a sense of loathing and/or fear. Very strange! And I thought these things BEFORE I read your text or noticed your location. Weird indeed!

  50. #750
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Matt

    Well . . . I feel the results with the R lenses have an extra dimension to them (just like your 28 'cron), and I have no problem with MF for most of what I do. But sure - I also have some of the µ43 zooms as well, and as you say they're fine.

    As for handling - you just get used to the fact that you're holding the lens with a body attached rather than the other way around!

    all the best
    Well, the results are a strong argument. I just figured out this morning how to turn the IBIS on while manually focussing, so THAT should help.

    Thanks again,

    Matt

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •