Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Olympus OMD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    There's no cure for GAS - We Are All Doomed
    "We…all" are such strong inclusive words :-)

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    "We…all" are such strong inclusive words :-)

- Raist
    How about "I...personally"

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, he's right...

We All Are Doomed! GAS == WAAD

Post Thanks / Like

HI Paul
    The image stabilisation is, of course, not magic.

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect

by the way, it was taken with the panasonic 100-300 (IS turned off on lens) at 300mm (i.e. 600mm equivalent)

. . . as was this one

this one is a more realistic 100mm (200 equivalent) also at 1/15th

exif should be intact.

There you are - I've saved you all that money
    Thank You Jono
    Shooting at 600mm equivalent without a good tripod setup shouldn't even be possible, I am surprised they are as good as they are, especially the dog photo. Can you imagine them without the stabilization. To me, stabilization is most useful for spontaneous shooting. As far as saving me money, I still have GAS, you can't take it with you and somebody has to keep the economy going.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just read that IBIS doesn't work when using a MF lens... how disappointing (or is that only with video mode? I'm confused). And I just bought a M-to-m43 adapter, too. I guess it's not any worse, but I do hope that's something they can turn on later with firmware update.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

David: Where did you read that? I've owned two Olympus DSLRs that had in body image stabiliztion (IBIS), and both of them work with manual focus lenses. There is a menu item that allows you to enter the focal length, which makes it work with lenses that don't communicate their focal length to the body.

Perhaps what you read comes from a user unfamiliar with Olympus cameras. I find it difficult to believe that the OM-D's IBIS is so different that it wouldn't work with manual lenses. In fact, "works with any lens" is one of the selling points for IBIS in the first place.

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

The IBIS works just fine with any lens, as long as you shoot still images. IBIS for movies works with native lenses only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, it didn't make sense to me either. Jonas, thanks for clearing it up... still, I want to ask.. why not?
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

Probably because Olympus assumes that if you're shooting movies, you will be using a zoom. And with a non-native zoom, the camera has no way of knowing what focal length you have the lens set to at a given moment.

Maybe we "should" be able to use a prime lens for movies and specify the focal length manually, but maybe Oly didn't think anyone would want to. Or perhaps there's a technical challenge of which we're not aware.

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

...or it is a bug simply put. There are some great third party lenses very well fitted for shooting movies. If Olympus want to be serious about this they should implement IBIS at the latest with the next firmware update.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last night, I came home, looked at some personal emails, read a book for an hour, had supper and then played Go with my son . . . . and realised that it was the first evening at home I hadn't worked for the whole year.

So, to celebrate, here are a couple of pictures of the go board (at 5000 ISO - exif should be intact)

26mm 5000 ISO 1/13th second f6.3

13mm 5000 ISO 1/8th second f6.3

12mm 5000 ISO 1/15th f6.3
    (Oh Dear, Sim - you blew it!)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I got home from work today it was horse duty to start with . . . in the drizzle (brrr), when we got back there was a glimpse of light just before sunset, which gave me a chance to play with the 45 f1.8 which arrived in the post today.
    What a nice little lens it is - cheap as chips it may be, but it feels good, handles well, and takes nice pictures (with decent bokeh) hooray! - here are a couple:

Jupiter apple blossom f2.2 ISO 200

an old bench f1.8 ISO 200

I can't wait for that 75 f1.8 . . . but I bet that won't be £225!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The 45/1.8 reminds me of the Pentax 77/1.8. Not quite the jaw dropper (that is probably my favorite lens I've ever shot) but in the ballpark.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Zuiko 45/1.8 has less LoCa than the FA77/1.8. The qualities of the FA77/1.8 probably has a lot to do with the longer focal length, especially as perceived when used with a Pentax 1.5 crop camera.
    For anyone wanting a classic portrait tele lens, or a short tele in general the 45/1.8 is amazing. It will be very interesting to see what kind of a lens the Zuiko 75/1.8 will be. (I don't use that a long lens very often so I'll probably stick to my Navitar 75/1.3.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the price I was expecting the 45 f1.8 to be rather tacky and plastic . . . but it isn't at all - it feels really tight and nicely made.
    Amazing to get such a lens at such a price.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, knowing you liked the Panny 45/2.8, how do you feel about the two 45s??

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Jono, knowing you liked the Panny 45/2.8, how do you feel about the two 45s??
    HI Diane
    Too early to tell yet - of course, it's really 3 45s, as the kit lens has a macro feature at 43mm (which seems to work really well). I'm trying to keep lens buying to a minimum until I've decided between NEX and the OMD

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Diane
    Too early to tell yet - of course, it's really 3 45s, as the kit lens has a macro feature at 43mm (which seems to work really well). I'm trying to keep lens buying to a minimum until I've decided between NEX and the OMD
    The minimum 3 x 45mm? Yep, I forgot to take my medicine too
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some samples of 45 1.8 and OMD at ISO 3200

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 45mm f/1.8 looks great, i just wish it came in black...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I also want a black copy as my OMD is black. The 45 1.8 is real IMO an outstanding M43 lens.

Post Thanks / Like

20 1.7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Nah, he's right...

We All Are Doomed! GAS == WAAD
    Speak for yourself :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

How about "I...personally"
    :-)

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    just a little window of decent weather today - unfortunately the garden came first (had to do something before it took over completely!

I did manage to get out with the dog first thing - there might be some more snaps later, but here are a couple of sky shots, converted to black and white using Silver efex pro.

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the last few days, all with the 12-50
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

@gilpen

Gilpen- those shots are more in the light conditions I am interested in. If you don't mind, do you think you could post 100% crops from faces and from darker areas (converted from raw). I realize this request is a lot of work so do not feel in any shape or form like you should do it. I appreciate it either way. Thanks for sharing those shots.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

HI Paul
    The image stabilisation is, of course, not magic.

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect

by the way, it was taken with the panasonic 100-300 (IS turned off on lens) at 300mm (i.e. 600mm equivalent)
    The IS is pretty remarkable, isn't it? No way I could hold that lens at 300mm for 1/15s using the lens' OIS. In fact, I generally found that I needed 1/500s. The ability to shoot it at 1/125s would have made a huge difference, let alone 1/15s.

Post Thanks / Like

Ricardo, I shot this in Jpeg. I'll se if I can work on it and post later.

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    @gilpen

Gilpen- those shots are more in the light conditions I am interested in. If you don't mind, do you think you could post 100% crops from faces and from darker areas (converted from raw). I realize this request is a lot of work so do not feel in any shape or form like you should do it. I appreciate it either way. Thanks for sharing those shots.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is 100% crop of the face and dark background.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
    Here it is 100% crop of the face and dark background.

Thank you. I see some rather very strange posterization-compression.. I am going to chalk that up to a jpeg re-compression and now what comes out of the EM5.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Ricardo, this was resized to 72 dpi.

Post Thanks / Like

gilpen, saying something is resized to 72dpi doesn't make much sense, at least not to me; I believe that is just changing a number in a table telling some DTP applications what the final size is supposed to be.
    Maybe you can check your JPG settings (size and compression)?

Post Thanks / Like

Jpeg settings set to Large 3:2 resized to 72 dpi cropped 100%.

As far as I understand, 300 dot (pixels) per inch is packed tightly per square inch as against a 72 dots per inch. The image size was likewise changed as the dpi was changed in Photoshop, Scale Style, Resample Image and Constrain Proportions are checked in the image size window. What do you mean "just changing a number in a table" ? Does it mean nothing happens when you change a number in photoshop?

Post Thanks / Like

Jpeg settings set to Large 3:2 resized to 72 dpi cropped 100%.
    Thank you.
    Well, JPG set to Large and an aspect ratio of 3:2 means an image cropped from the original size of 4608*3456 pixels to 4608*3074 pixels (I estimate the number, I haven't tried this setting).

You don't mention the compression ration. The camera offers Super Fine (SF), Fine (F), Normal (N), and Basic (B). The compression is partly responsible for JPG artifacts as posterization, banding and such.

You also don't mention what your noise reduction setting was. It is in the cogwheel G menu, it is called Noise Filter and can be set to Off, Low, Standard or High. The noise reduction causes more or less of smearning and detail loss.

Then we have sharpening... all this make it very difficult to judge a camera image quality by looking at JPG images out of the camera. One can of course find satisfying settings making images look the way one want them to. That's fine but not working for anyone else not knowing what the camera can do. For that we need raw images processed in a known way.

As far as I understand, 300 dot (pixels) per inch is packed tightly per square inch as against a 72 dots per inch. The image size was likewise changed as the dpi was changed in Photoshop, Scale Style, Resample Image and Constrain Proportions are checked in the image size window. What do you mean "just changing a number in a table" ? Does it mean nothing happens when you change a number in photoshop?
    The DPI value is a theoretic construction not having anything to do with the image quality. It is mainly used to tell a DTP application about the final size of the image, and maybe what raster should be used (like Photoshop telling Indesign "here you have an image, it is 720x350 pixels and you should make it print at 72DPI", Indesign then sends an image which will be properly printed and end up 10x5 inch (at a rather low quality).

You can assign any image a value of 72, or 90 or 150 or 240 or... DPI, the image file itself will stay the same. When looking at a screen the mentioned image will look slightly differently depending on the monitor being used. For a small old fashioned monitor the 720*350 pxl image will nearly cover the monitor from left to right. On a larger monitor the image will again cover 720 of the "pixels" but when compared it will probably also be a little smaller as most modern monitors have more than 72 dots per inch.

For all discussions here, and in practise whenever showing something touching, it's better discussing the actual size in XXX*YYY pixels. The DPI number means nothing.

I hope this helps somewhat, it's a lot of things to consider at the same time,

regards,

Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info. Actually, I was not touching technical issues as I've just posted in "Having Fun with the OMD" I just replied to the request of Ricardo to crop 100%. If this thread is technical in nature then I'm out of here. I don't have that much knowledge to share, btw, I still can't find the settings for super fine, fine, normal, etc. from this camera so I can't tell yet. I came from film, had a short stint with DSLR then back to film, then combo of film and DRF and now added M43.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the info. Actually, I was not touching technical issues as I've just posted in "Having Fun with the OMD" I just replied to the request of Ricardo to crop 100%. If this thread is technical in nature then I'm out of here. I don't have that much knowledge to share, btw, I still can't find the settings for super fine, fine, normal, etc. from this camera so I can't tell yet. I came from film, had a short stint with DSLR then back to film, then combo of film and DRF and now added M43.
    Stay Stay! It's my thread and we need everyone!
    Settings for fine / superfine etc. are 3rd option down in the shooting menu 1 i.e the one with a triangle pointing to the left with bits coming out to the right. Choose LF.

Ricardo

This is a raw file - processed in LR4 with no noise reduction or anything else
    taken with the 45. f1.8 at f1.8

FWIW it was taken with touch shutter in terrible lighting in a pub after a couple of pints - in other words it's a real world bad situation (with focus light turned off)

I'm not sure about your feelings, but I think this is excellent

100% crop below (also at 72dpi )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For ISO 3200 and those conditions it would be hard to do better with any camera. I am particularly taking the pint into consideration.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info. Actually, I was not touching technical issues as I've just posted in "Having Fun with the OMD" I just replied to the request of Ricardo to crop 100%. If this thread is technical in nature then I'm out of here.
    gilpen, it's not a technical thread by nature and there is no reason for anyone to leave. The "Fun with..." -threads here are what they are called and an opportunity to share whatever we all have made, just a bit sorted.

The E-M5 is a new camera to all of us and technical discussions will be inevitably, but that's not the main purpose. At least I don't think it is that way, I consider them more social than anything else.

That said, I posted some images for technical reasons, trying to discuss technical aspects or capabilities of the camera. My own take on it is that it's better sort images by lens in the other "Fun with..." -threads. But that is a personal opinion and take on it. Without a part of chaos everything gets boring, in fact as boring as lens test targets and then were would we be?

OK, that was a lot of words.

regards,

/Jonas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple from yesterday on the Fen

with the 12-50

with the panasonic 100-300

with the panasonic 100-300

The above ones were shot in jpg

This next one was shot in RAW and processed (very lightly) in Lightroom 4.1

with the 12-50 Kit lens in macro mode (43mm)

Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

So far I am really liking the samples I am seeing here.

JIm

Post Thanks / Like

I've been speaking too much, so here goes, one from a walk today:

E-M5 once again helped me nail the exposure, now at the one and only capture. The UniWB and blinking highlights/shadows really have grown on me.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Jono. A New Era Has Dawned. That looks like Kodachrome 25 grain, and at ISO 3200, yet. You are not doing my sales resistance any good at all.

My main camera is still an M8. My long lens camera is an E-30. My "good enough" generalist camera is the original G1. Up until now, the only reason to upgrade from the G1 was maybe the GH2. But the OMD looks like it is playing in the same field as the K-5 and D7000. Things Have Changed.

--Peter

FWIW it was taken with touch shutter in terrible lighting in a pub after a couple of pints - in other words it's a real world bad situation (with focus light turned off)

100% crop below (also at 72dpi )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Klein View Post
    (...)Things Have Changed.
    Indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Klein View Post
    Wow, Jono. A New Era Has Dawned. That looks like Kodachrome 25 grain, and at ISO 3200, yet. You are not doing my sales resistance any good at all.

My main camera is still an M8. My long lens camera is an E-30. My "good enough" generalist camera is the original G1. Up until now, the only reason to upgrade from the G1 was maybe the GH2. But the OMD looks like it is playing in the same field as the K-5 and D7000. Things Have Changed.

--Peter
    Having owned a K5 and a D7000 myself, I only can assure you that the OMD plays in the same field!

WRT color I would say even better.

WRT overall system size the OMD is the clear winner!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

really like your shots! Especially the yellow flower is magnificent! The 12-50 is a clear winner on the OMD IMHO ....

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

The OMD does very well, but no, I wouldn't put it still on the same field/category of those last two. The high ISO of that Sony sensor is still better as its still its DR and tonality (14-bits raw vs 12-bit raw - and yes, the K-5/D7000 do use the bits). But I agree the OMD does very well.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Stay Stay! It's my thread and we need everyone!
    Settings for fine / superfine etc. are 3rd option down in the shooting menu 1 i.e the one with a triangle pointing to the left with bits coming out to the right. Choose LF.

Ricardo

I think it does look pretty good. Thank you for posting that, that's the kind of shot/situation I want to see the OMD going through. It's no K-5 but it's pretty good, and it doesn't have to be as good as a K-5 to be of interest to me.

How was the AF in this situation (referring to speed, obviously the shot seems reasonably in focus).

Thank again.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    For ISO 3200 and those conditions it would be hard to do better with any camera. I am particularly taking the pint into consideration.

Jim
    Depends on which camera you are talking about :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It also depends on how many pints.

Jim
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post