The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

S

sonic07

bottom view, showing battery door is accessible, extra 1/4-20 hole for standard tipod mount, centered on lens.
these are going into production next week, should be ready to ship june 6

Hi John. How do I order this new OM-D grip. Thanks.

m_driscoll

A few from the Palouse

Terry: These are great! I especially like this first one. :thumbup:

I'm curious about the lenses you took on this trip? Ashwin Rao, Ed Tan, Andy Holloway, and myself are leaving Seattle at 4:30 am :facesmack: on Monday for a whirlwind two days in the Palouse. I'm trying to pare my M9/OMD kit down. Last time, I had the M9 and M8. 50% of the shots were with a 90mm and 20% with a 75mm.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Terry

Terry: These are great! I especially like this first one. :thumbup:

I'm curious about the lenses you took on this trip? Ashwin Rao, Ed Tan, Andy Holloway, and myself are leaving Seattle at 4:30 am :facesmack: on Monday for a whirlwind two days in the Palouse. I'm trying to pare my M9/OMD kit down. Last time, I had the M9 and M8. 50% of the shots were with a 90mm and 20% with a 75mm.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
Hi Matt,
Have a great trip. Beautiful area.

My kit -
Fuji x-pro1 plus 18, 35, 60 and I've only used 35, 60 mainly 35
Oly OMD plus 7-14, 12-50, 100-300, 25, 45 (f1.8)

For the OMD 25 and 45 were just brought as spares. Since I wasn't bringing a second body for either system, I wanted a bit of redundancy. Haven't used either.

OMD kit - used often: 12-50 and 100-300 used sparingly: 7-14

Paratom

(O)IS vs IBIS?

Since I am not sure - what is the conclusion when shooting a Pana-(O)IS lens on the OMD? Switch OIS off and use IBIS or the other way around?
Thanks a lot, Tom

PS: I am trying to compare the Oly 75-300 vs the Pana 100-300 and I am not sure how I should use the 100-300

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: (O)IS vs IBIS?

Since I am not sure - what is the conclusion when shooting a Pana-(O)IS lens on the OMD? Switch OIS off and use IBIS or the other way around?
Thanks a lot, Tom

PS: I am trying to compare the Oly 75-300 vs the Pana 100-300 and I am not sure how I should use the 100-300
Switch at least 1 of, either OIS or IBIS - together they do not work well.

Given the fact how well IBIS works I would trust IBIS more.

jsparks

Re: (O)IS vs IBIS?

Switch at least 1 of, either OIS or IBIS - together they do not work well.

Given the fact how well IBIS works I would trust IBIS more.
Not long after I got an EPL-1, I did some testing with it and a Panasonic 14-45. I actually found turning on both OIS in the lens and IBIS in the body gave better results than either lens or body stabilization alone (not at all what I was expecting). Not long after I did my tests, I read an article by Ctein on the Online Photographer who came to the same conclusion with and E-P1 and one of the longer Panasonic zooms (maybe the 45-200).

Since the IBIS in the OM-d is so different, I wouldn't assume it would have the same results. It's not that hard to do some tests. Just shoot several shots in a row at the same settings (I wrote down which IS setting I was using for each series of shots, lightroom doesn't tell me, but maybe it's in the EXIF and some program will tell you), then see how many are sharp with various combinations of shutter speed, focal length and IS. This will tell you not only which IS or combo is more effective, but it will also tell you how slow you can go and how many duplicates you should take when pushing the limits of what you can hold.

I have found that the Panasonic lenses that I have used really need some time to stabilize for best results. When I bring the camera up to my eye and immediately take a photo, the results are often blurry, but if I hold the camera steady for a while first, it works much better.

I've also found that I really need to turn off OIS when using short shutter speeds, the OIS can make things blurry at 1/500. I never really tried to test the limits of this, but anytime I'm at a speed that I consider a safe hand-holding speed, I make sure I turn OIS off. I suspect the same thing with the EPL-1 IBIS as I've had some photos that look strangely blurry in good light with fast shutter speeds, but when I tried to test this, I couldn't really see any differences between IBIS on or off at shutter speeds of 1/320 to 1/2000. This is in stark contrast to the Minolta/Sony DSLR IBIS which seems to never need to be turned off (fast shutter speed or even on a tripod doesn't seem to cause a problem with any of the Minolta or Sony DSLRs I've used).

I have wondered if the OM-D is more like the EPL-1 or like the Sony system in this regard. Anyone with an OM-D have comments about IBIS and fast shutter speeds?

m_driscoll

Hi Matt,
Have a great trip. Beautiful area.

My kit -
Fuji x-pro1 plus 18, 35, 60 and I've only used 35, 60 mainly 35
Oly OMD plus 7-14, 12-50, 100-300, 25, 45 (f1.8)

For the OMD 25 and 45 were just brought as spares. Since I wasn't bringing a second body for either system, I wanted a bit of redundancy. Haven't used either.

OMD kit - used often: 12-50 and 100-300 used sparingly: 7-14
Terry: Thanks, this helps a lot. When I was there before, I used the 75 and 90 on an M9 and M8. The M9/OMD could be a perfect combo.

Thanks, again,
Matt
Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

m_driscoll

I've read, elsewhere, that the Olympus 'turns' the Panasonic OIS off. That's probably the case on the Pany 45-175 that I bought, yesterday. No switch. Evidently, not the case on the pany's with a physical switch?

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Paratom

I've read, elsewhere, that the Olympus 'turns' the Panasonic OIS off. That's probably the case on the Pany 45-175 that I bought, yesterday. No switch. Evidently, not the case on the pany's with a physical switch?

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
No, the IS on the 100-300 works no matter if ibis is on or off. You have to switch OIS off at the lens if you dont want it.

jonoslack

No, the IS on the 100-300 works no matter if ibis is on or off. You have to switch OIS off at the lens if you dont want it.
Hi Tom
. . . . and I'm sure that's the right answer - the IBIS on the OMD is really good - I've taken sharp shots at 1/10th second at 300 (read 600),

D

dcisive

My question to the OMD posters here are your shots done in ORF/RAW or are you using Jpeg? Just curious as I've noted when in Jpeg I do get some smearing of the fine details like grass and textures, where when I shoot in RAW it's perfect with all detail intact.

D

dcisive

Here's a couple of large examples of what I've taken in the last few days. The 1st testing out my 75-300 and the 2nd testing out the macro mode on the kit 12-50

m_driscoll

This is a sweet little standard telephoto. I like the way it renders the OOF. Handheld, AF, so, I could have done better. No switch to turn OIS off on the lens; so, I think the IBIS is on and no lens OIS. The first four are at 175mm.

Panasonic 45-175mm Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6; 175mm; 1/200s @ f/5.6; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6; 175mm; 1/200s @ f/5.6; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6; 175mm; 1/125s @ f/5.6; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6; 175mm; 1/125s @ f/5.6; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6; 175mm; 1/60s @ f/8; ISO 250

Panasonic 45-175mm Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6; 113mm; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 250

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

kweide

capricious
The Angel of Revenge Part infinity. The more i use that little E-M5 the closer my E-5 goes to be send into museum ...

Olympus E-M5, Zuiko45, noNR
ISO200 @ f1.8, 1/100 second, 45 mm focal length​

kweide

She did it !
I said "Stick me!" and she did it with a grin in her face, a hellion !

Olympus E-M5, Summilux 25, noNR
ISO200 @ f1.4, 1/60 second, 25 mm focal length​