The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Jonas

My question to the OMD posters here are your shots done in ORF/RAW or are you using Jpeg? Just curious as I've noted when in Jpeg I do get some smearing of the fine details like grass and textures, where when I shoot in RAW it's perfect with all detail intact.
I don't mind some extra work if it helps the end result so I shoot raw plus JPG. I have the camera set to UniWB so everything is a bit green until opened in Lightroom or ACR. The JPGs are deleted right away, I use them only for checking focus (when focusing is that critically). as shooting raw only gives a too rough embedded JPG for the in-camera reviews.

So raw it is. Now my keeper ratio is about a dozen images a year so I fully understand everybody looking for a faster way of handling the images. But, I'm on my path, it works for me and now reading about the NR not completely turned off also when set to zero in the camera I think I stay with raw.

Above; Barcelona 2012, E-M5, PLµ25

Last edited:

jonoslack

Sometimes it drops into your lap - and sometimes it must be colour
This is from my hotel room in Bergen op Zoom - with the 14-150.

Terry

First up I've decided that I find the 12-50mm pretty irritating. I've used it a lot this week and I can't even count how many times the zoom ring has shifted to auto zoom mode inadvertently. That being said, here is some crop dusting action from out in the fields of The Palouse.

We were watching the crop duster do a pass in front of us and then loop around behind. To stay out of his way and up wind we moved further up the road. I guess to thank us the pilot did a fly over. Just as he was getting very close to us he turned on the smoke. I didn't realize what he was doing. Took the shot (look at lever of prop vs. my camera level - yikes) and thought he was spraying so I hit the deck and banged myself up a bit (knee and hip bruised and stiff). I have tons more shots to go through but these were a few of the group. Last one was a second smoke pass... fool me once...fool me twice? No.

Knorp

First up I've decided that I find the 12-50mm pretty irritating. I've used it a lot this week and I can't even count how many times the zoom ring has shifted to auto zoom mode inadvertently. That being said, here is some crop dusting action from out in the fields of The Palouse.

We were watching the crop duster do a pass in front of us and then loop around behind. To stay out of his way and up wind we moved further up the road. I guess to thank us the pilot did a fly over. Just as he was getting very close to us he turned on the smoke. I didn't realize what he was doing. Took the shot (look at lever of prop vs. my camera level - yikes) and thought he was spraying so I hit the deck and banged myself up a bit (knee and hip bruised and stiff). I have tons more shots to go through but these were a few of the group. Last one was a second smoke pass... fool me once...fool me twice? No.

Wow - that was quite an 'adventure' and a scary one too ! Hope you're not too knackered to soldier on, Terry.
I've read elsewhere about the loose shifting of that zoom ring, still I found it a nifty little lens - although later on, I decided not to buy it in favour of the grip.

But hey - you're P100-300 didn't let you down :thumbs:
Surely the plane didn't fly fast, I reckon, still excellent action shots and giving a real sense of your 'adventure'.

Take care and hope to see more action from the Palouse !

All the best.

Knorp

This Pany could be the 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch' of lens names!

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS; 45mm; 1/250s @ f/11; ISO 6400
This is a sweet little standard telephoto. I like the way it renders the OOF. Handheld, AF, so, I could have done better. No switch to turn OIS off on the lens; so, I think the IBIS is on and no lens OIS. The first four are at 175mm.

Panasonic 45-175mm Lumix G Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4-5.6; 175mm; 1/200s @ f/5.6; ISO 200
Hey Matt, I don't know but something tells me you really seem to like this lens ... :p
Sharpness is good and I like its bokeh.
So congrats with this new 'baby'.

Happy shooting.

limbonaut

Still debating whether this is better than my 5n. It's between the slightly better IQ and ergonomics of the 5n (for me) and the focusing speed of the OMD.

JMaher

Funny, I thought the 5n was a very good camera but couldn't get used to the ergonomics. I find myself liking the OM-D more each day. At some point I will need to try the grip but I have a trip planned and it will need to be after that and my finances recover.

Jim

limbonaut

Funny, I thought the 5n was a very good camera but couldn't get used to the ergonomics. I find myself liking the OM-D more each day. At some point I will need to try the grip but I have a trip planned and it will need to be after that and my finances recover.

Jim
Jim,

Its a funny thing. I got very used to one hand use on the 5n (I also had the 7 for a while and really liked it) and thought the grip was excellent. I feel the need to stabilize the OMD with the off hand when I use the dials.

I also think that the hump and add on flash make for a distinctly worse product in terms of overall packaging. Almost all of the lenses will protrude from the body on both Nex and OMD so carrying in a bag requires pointing lens down. That negates some of the OMD small lens advantage and actually weighs in favor of the nex 5 or 7 since the body height is less than the OMD.

jonoslack

All Those Bottoms!
(I like bottoms).

Excellent stuff Bart.

I'm afraid I made another slip up at Red dot cameras (they're so nice and helpful).

My 80-200 f4 arrived the other day . . . such a lovely thing, and it works so nicely with the OMD as well.

Just a couple of preliminary snaps:

Diane B

You know I always love your chicken photos--these as well, but this one really caught my eye.

All Those Bottoms!
(I like bottoms).

Excellent stuff Bart.

I'm afraid I made another slip up at Red dot cameras (they're so nice and helpful).

My 80-200 f4 arrived the other day . . . such a lovely thing, and it works so nicely with the OMD as well.

Just a couple of preliminary

Terry

Jono -
Interesting to see the difference in this field vs. the wheat and barley fields I was photographing over the past several days (my crop duster photos).