The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Matt, with the cost of the S2, you have to resort to a restricted budget to get your M fix on. ;)

I've only spent a day with the camera, but so far I have to say that I really like using it for street shooting. I was looking for something a little smaller to carry around with me at all times and am now thinking that it might fit the bill.

I've had an x100 for 3 months and have used it only a handful times as I find that the camera doesn't work for me. I haven't gotten around to selling it, but will now. A lot of people have hashed and rehashed the OMD pros and cons. I simply find that it works for me and I like the files and that's 95% of what's important as it means that I'm willing to carry it around. (They're not medium format files, but I don't want or need them to be.)

m_driscoll

Oh, I agree that a large zoom defeats the purpose, and the major point of the OM-D over the M9 for me is the AF, but GAS is never about what makes sense. :ROTFL:

I, too, didn't have good luck with M lenses on my first m43 camera (E-P1). I also haven't gotten a good feel, despite the many images posted, for the quality of the longer m43 lenses. The long AF zooms seem ok. Perhaps its just that no one is as enthusiastic about them as Jono is about the Leica R glass. :rolleyes:

Well, I have the 45/1.8, the Panny 45-200, and (hopefully later this week) a 12-50 kit lens. The 75/1.8 is also extremely likely. I'm holding off from the better wide stuff because I'm afraid that I'll never pick up the M9 again. :cry: But it's a good bet that the 12/2 or the 12-35/2.8 are somewhere in my future.

Best,

Matt
Matt: I've become a fan of the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 on the OMD. It's small and light and has respectable IQ. I used it a lot on my trip to the Palouse. I've also got the Olympus m.Zuiko 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7, but, I haven't really used it that much. I'm hoping to take it out to shoot a sailboat race. Last time, I did that, was with a D700 and a 200-400mm f/4. Should be an interesting comparison.

Here's the Panasonic, first at 175mm, and then 120mm, and 45mm:

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OM-D just arrived. Much better with grip. This must be what it feels like when the Hulk pics up a 1DsIII.

Pics soon,

Matt

Knorp

Matt, congrats with your E-M5, I'm sure you'll love it.
Regarding the grip, I'd say the grip makes the E-M5.
Or is that too bold a statement ?

Happy shooting !

smartwombat

Comparing with the grip and 100-300 Panny lens to the kit 12-50 and no grip the cameras feel totally different.
The lightness and quietness of the camera with the 12-50 is brilliant.
And the extra grip I get with the HLD-6 complements the 100-300.

I think I want another grip, just for the extra battery capacity.

MGrayson

OK. First walk with new and incomprehensible camera. Completely new for me is the ability to shoot on the street in WLF mode. It looks like you're just poking at a touch screen to go through menus, but you're really capturing this wily and sophisticated character.:cool: (45/1.8)

Woohoo,

Matt

Re: The Grip, I have wide hands, and without both grip pieces attached, I feel like I'm holding on with too few fingers. Canon handstrap already attached.

Last edited:

MGrayson

This disturbingly flame-like reflection is, creepily, at ground zero.
Panny 45-200 at 124mm f/7.1. Really, a pretty sharp lens. Plenty of purple fringing, but then it's a bright background.

Sorry about the branch....

-Matt

Last edited:

jnewell

Comparing with the grip and 100-300 Panny lens to the kit 12-50 and no grip the cameras feel totally different.
The lightness and quietness of the camera with the 12-50 is brilliant.
And the extra grip I get with the HLD-6 complements the 100-300.

I think I want another grip, just for the extra battery capacity.
Bought the last one Amazon had in stock earlier this week, sort of on a dare to myself. Thought I would give it a try and see, probably return it. Put it on and thought 'wow.' As you said, I think it will be a big help with the 100-300mm.

E

Easyki

OM-D with Micro-Nikkor 200/4, from the Botanical Garden in Leuven ...

C U,
Rafael
Hi Raf, great picture! I too have some Nikon legacy glass ànd an OMD, so my question: which adapter do you use and where did you buy it?
Thanks
Kind regards,
Kris
Antwerpen

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Kris,

thanks for commenting !

I have several Nikon F-mount adapters, but I mostly use the cheap ones from the EBay ... You'll find many seller, I'm sure

I also own 2 more expensive adapters from fotodiox (the "pro" ones, with the tripod fixation and shift mechanism) but I'm not happy with them, because no Nikkor lens reaches infinity on them ... So, stay away from those !

Greets from La Hulpe,
Rafael