The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

jonoslack

Last night, I came home, looked at some personal emails, read a book for an hour, had supper and then played Go with my son . . . . and realised that it was the first evening at home I hadn't worked for the whole year.

So, to celebrate, here are a couple of pictures of the go board (at 5000 ISO - exif should be intact)

26mm 5000 ISO 1/13th second f6.3

13mm 5000 ISO 1/8th second f6.3

12mm 5000 ISO 1/15th f6.3
(Oh Dear, Sim - you blew it!)

jonoslack

When I got home from work today it was horse duty to start with . . . in the drizzle (brrr), when we got back there was a glimpse of light just before sunset, which gave me a chance to play with the 45 f1.8 which arrived in the post today.
What a nice little lens it is - cheap as chips it may be, but it feels good, handles well, and takes nice pictures (with decent bokeh) hooray! - here are a couple:

Jupiter apple blossom f2.2 ISO 200

an old bench f1.8 ISO 200

I can't wait for that 75 f1.8 . . . but I bet that won't be £225!

all the best

nostatic

The 45/1.8 reminds me of the Pentax 77/1.8. Not quite the jaw dropper (that is probably my favorite lens I've ever shot) but in the ballpark.

Jonas

I think the Zuiko 45/1.8 has less LoCa than the FA77/1.8. The qualities of the FA77/1.8 probably has a lot to do with the longer focal length, especially as perceived when used with a Pentax 1.5 crop camera.
For anyone wanting a classic portrait tele lens, or a short tele in general the 45/1.8 is amazing. It will be very interesting to see what kind of a lens the Zuiko 75/1.8 will be. (I don't use that a long lens very often so I'll probably stick to my Navitar 75/1.3.)

jonoslack

For the price I was expecting the 45 f1.8 to be rather tacky and plastic . . . but it isn't at all - it feels really tight and nicely made.
Amazing to get such a lens at such a price.

jonoslack

Jono, knowing you liked the Panny 45/2.8, how do you feel about the two 45s??
HI Diane
Too early to tell yet - of course, it's really 3 45s, as the kit lens has a macro feature at 43mm (which seems to work really well). I'm trying to keep lens buying to a minimum until I've decided between NEX and the OMD

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
HI Diane
Too early to tell yet - of course, it's really 3 45s, as the kit lens has a macro feature at 43mm (which seems to work really well). I'm trying to keep lens buying to a minimum until I've decided between NEX and the OMD
The minimum 3 x 45mm? Yep, I forgot to take my medicine too :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Hi There
just a little window of decent weather today - unfortunately the garden came first (had to do something before it took over completely!

I did manage to get out with the dog first thing - there might be some more snaps later, but here are a couple of sky shots, converted to black and white using Silver efex pro.

all the best

raist3d

@gilpen

Gilpen- those shots are more in the light conditions I am interested in. If you don't mind, do you think you could post 100% crops from faces and from darker areas (converted from raw). I realize this request is a lot of work so do not feel in any shape or form like you should do it. I appreciate it either way. Thanks for sharing those shots.

- Ricardo

Amin

HI Paul
The image stabilisation is, of course, not magic.

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect

by the way, it was taken with the panasonic 100-300 (IS turned off on lens) at 300mm (i.e. 600mm equivalent) :ROTFL:
The IS is pretty remarkable, isn't it? No way I could hold that lens at 300mm for 1/15s using the lens' OIS. In fact, I generally found that I needed 1/500s. The ability to shoot it at 1/125s would have made a huge difference, let alone 1/15s.

gilpen123

Ricardo, I shot this in Jpeg. I'll se if I can work on it and post later.

@gilpen

Gilpen- those shots are more in the light conditions I am interested in. If you don't mind, do you think you could post 100% crops from faces and from darker areas (converted from raw). I realize this request is a lot of work so do not feel in any shape or form like you should do it. I appreciate it either way. Thanks for sharing those shots.

- Ricardo