The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

jonoslack

Call me a lunatic, but that's the way I roll.
You're a lunatic!
using Lightroom or Aperture as a DAM is really the only way forward for me - and I don't want more than one library!

Anyway . . anyway. .

I took this one last night in the office . . and rather liked it - (working on snaps from China). Some people like to have their photos taken . . . others don't!

kit lens, 33mm ISO 1600 1/80th f5.6

Today it's glum weather . . and I have to work, but I've been playing with the macro function on the kit lens - it seems to work pretty well.

all at F6 - the 20g is at 800 ISO the others at 1600.

Jonas

I can't read his credit card number, definitely not sharp enough.;)
Haha. I have a third image where I think I can work out the credit card number incl the security card as the guy kindly was chewing his card with the back side up. But it wouldn't feel right really to post that... The man was taking an image of his family at a tourist spot here in Gothenburg. When I walked away I heard his daughter telling him I had taken an image of him. He smiled and waved, realizing how he had been looking...

(About a thread about E-M5 settings) Excellent idea - are you going to start it?
As for jpgs - I never shoot jpgs . . . except when I have a new camera not supported by Aperture, in which case I shoot both. I actually find it a good discipline sometimes to shoot jpg only - no room for exposure errors!).

Periodically I do the round of converters to see if the situation has changed . . . then go back to Aperture! I've been using LR quite a lot recently for different reasons, but I don't like it.
all the best
No, I won't start such a thread. I'm trying to keep a DPR thread about firmware bugs updated and that's enough of such commitments for me.

And yes, I shot JPG plus raw in the start. Then we got this Lightroom 4.1 RC2 supporting the raw files so now I'm into raw format only. The downside of that is that you don't get those sharp fine images to review. The embedded JPG seem to have quite low resolution.

Call me a lunatic, but that's the way I roll.
Heh. When looking at myself in the mirror I don't think I should call anyone else "lunatic".

(...) (working on snaps from China). Some people like to have their photos taken . . . others don't!
The gesture... is that the Chinese version of giving you the finger or was he joking? Nice image, at least the left part!

I have taken some other daylight images today with the IBIS set to IS1 but I haven't evaluated them yet. It will be interesting to see if one has to switch IBIS on and off all the time to get optimal results.

jonoslack

The gesture... is that the Chinese version of giving you the finger or was he joking? Nice image, at least the left part!
I'm sure he wasn't joking - not a kind look - what I really like is that the cheery bloke is mimicking the gesture with his cigarette.

I'll have to go and look at your dpreview thread.

Hosermage

This camera has me interested in m4/3... Can I see more images with faster aperture? I like bokehs and I would like to stay around 35 to 50 equivalent and still have them. Also, what about adapting M-lenses to this camera? Thanks in advance :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Got my OMD today. Quick setup and it was no issue as I am used to the EP2 and EP3 which I owned and the logics of the OMD are pretty similar.

Overall the camera performs extremely fast. Have configured it that it works in good old Leica R mode (for those of you who know what I mean :cool:) plus it chimes automatically in with face recognition and some other helpful stuff - really love it.

EVF is perfect - much better IMHO than VR2 and touch screen is big an bright and as it can be tilted I found myself shooting a lot holding the camera at hip level, especially some "action shots" with my baby daughter.

So far only shot JPEG, as I am waiting for RAW capability in LR, but JPEGs are already stunning.

Looking forward to some more testing the following days.

etrigan63

This camera has me interested in m4/3... Can I see more images with faster aperture? I like bokehs and I would like to stay around 35 to 50 equivalent and still have them. Also, what about adapting M-lenses to this camera? Thanks in advance :)
David,
the m4/3 platform is very flexible when it comes to adapting legacy glass. Adapters from Fotodiox and Novoflex are IMHO the best around. Cosina Voigtlander is a member of the Micro Four-Thirds Consortium and they make a pair of f/0.95 primes in 17.5 & 25mm (35 & 50mm eFL) that have very nice bokeh and are Noctilux fast at 1/10 the price.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter - there is LR raw capability with the latest release candidate.
Installed and works fine! though I have to admit that the OOC JPEGs are already pretty nice - actually cannot see much difference between these and RAW. Will try out RAW tomorrow in more detail .....

Thanks again.

Peter

jonoslack

Cosina Voigtlander is a member of the Micro Four-Thirds Consortium and they make a pair of f/0.95 primes in 17.5 & 25mm (35 & 50mm eFL) that have very nice bokeh and are Noctilux fast at 1/10 the price.
Carlos - I could kill you - of course, I wasn't interested in the 0.95 (got one for my M9) . . . then I looked at the specs . . . it focuses down to 7 inches. . . . Oh Dear . . . Oh deary dear me.:(:bugeyes::banghead:

Brian Mosley

Carlos - I could kill you - of course, I wasn't interested in the 0.95 (got one for my M9) . . . then I looked at the specs . . . it focuses down to 7 inches. . . . Oh Dear . . . Oh deary dear me.:(:bugeyes::banghead:
You first Jono :watch:

I'm desperate for a high grade 35mm perspective lens for m4/3rds, but I really like autofocus and could live with f1.4 for something more compact and lightweight (cheaper would also be good!).

I'll sit tight with my X100 for now :cool:

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

You first Jono :watch:

I'm desperate for a high grade 35mm perspective lens for m4/3rds, but I really like autofocus and could live with f1.4 for something more compact and lightweight (cheaper would also be good!).

Cheers

Brian
Ahh Brian - they have the 17.5 in stock at Robert White (or they did have). Personally I'm really not interested in 35mm perspective (never could get to grips with it). I'm going to have to fight off the 50 f1.4 though.

Have you got your OMD yet?

There's no cure for GAS - We Are All Doomed:chug:
Unfortunately true. I never was infected by GAS until I started visiting GetDPI, apparently its very contagious. I am seriously looking at a black OM-D to utilize my M4/3 lens collection (20, 45Macro, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200). Hoping for faster autofocus, upgraded sensor performance and a better viewfinder over my old G1. The image stabilization is a huge plus, assuming it works well.

pikme

Brian,

Like you, I am 'desperate' for a high grade 35mm perspective lens, and I would be happy for even f2 if it were nice with color/contrast and overall sharpness. I don't care about pancake - my dream is a match to the Oly 45 in terms of price, quality, size and weight.

However, I'm SO 'desperate' that I am thinking about the Voigtlander or the X100. You are in the BEST position to get the lens and then advise me whether the $1200 is better spent on the lens or the X100.

Please don't delay, I need the guidance quickly. :angel:

jonoslack

Unfortunately true. I never was infected by GAS until I started visiting GetDPI, apparently its very contagious. I am seriously looking at a black OM-D to utilize my M4/3 lens collection (20, 45Macro, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200). Hoping for faster autofocus, upgraded sensor performance and a better viewfinder over my old G1. The image stabilization is a huge plus, assuming it works well.
HI Paul
The image stabilisation is, of course, not magic.

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect

by the way, it was taken with the panasonic 100-300 (IS turned off on lens) at 300mm (i.e. 600mm equivalent) :ROTFL:

. . . as was this one

this one is a more realistic 100mm (200 equivalent) also at 1/15th

exif should be intact.

There you are - I've saved you all that money :thumbs:

jonoslack

Brian,

Like you, I am 'desperate' for a high grade 35mm perspective lens, and I would be happy for even f2 if it were nice with color/contrast and overall sharpness. I don't care about pancake - my dream is a match to the Oly 45 in terms of price, quality, size and weight.

However, I'm SO 'desperate' that I am thinking about the Voigtlander or the X100. You are in the BEST position to get the lens and then advise me whether the $1200 is better spent on the lens or the X100.

Please don't delay, I need the guidance quickly. :angel:
Brian - I'm afraid pikme is right - you owe it to us to buy an OMD and a 17.5 CV - only you can really test it for us.

Only You.