The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Knorp

All Those Bottoms!
(I like bottoms).

Excellent stuff Bart.

I'm afraid I made another slip up at Red dot cameras (they're so nice and helpful).

My 80-200 f4 arrived the other day . . . such a lovely thing, and it works so nicely with the OMD as well.
Thanks and congrats, indeed RDC seems to be a dangerous place to visit, next time you'd better bring a piece of gaffer tape ... :LOL:

It's a fine lens: a bit of a between the P100-300's range and probably not too heavy. Lovely samples !

Weather here over the weekend was not too bad, but the wind was blowing like crazy.
Not much fun and no way I could properly photograph any poppies ... :cry:

Oh, be a good sport and check out Terry's Palouse 'crop duster adventure' photos !

All the best.

jonoslack

Excellent bird shots Glenn
Seems to me that the OMD is perfect for bird shots - I'd love to have a go with one of the longer Leica lenses (MF is not such a problem I'd say).
Excellent anyway.

all the best

jonoslack

We were watching the crop duster do a pass in front of us and then loop around behind. To stay out of his way and up wind we moved further up the road. I guess to thank us the pilot did a fly over. Just as he was getting very close to us he turned on the smoke. I didn't realize what he was doing. Took the shot (look at lever of prop vs. my camera level - yikes) and thought he was spraying so I hit the deck and banged myself up a bit (knee and hip bruised and stiff). I have tons more shots to go through but these were a few of the group. Last one was a second smoke pass... fool me once...fool me twice? No.
Fantastic shots Terry - even at 320mm (equivalent) that first shot looks like scary stuff!
Hope the knee gets better soon . . . . lets see more shots!

incidentally - did you use the Fuji or the OMD most?

all the best

Terry

320mm is pretty short when a plane is at eye level and moving towards you. At full size I can see a lot of detail on that pilots face :D.

On this trip I shot the OMD only with zooms and the Fuji with primes. Many of the scenes called for long lenses and the 100-300 got more use than I expected. On the Fuji i really enjoyed using the 35mm with an ND filter and more wide open to do some of the more detail shots. Fuji would not have done a good job on the crop dusting sequence. Bottom line both cameras complemented each other and shooting two different cameras didn't get in the way.

Here are some others

old grain elevator

Terry

Glenn,

One of the highlights of my trip to Iceland was a visit to see the puffins high on a cliff bringing back food to the young ones. So. I'm always drawn to puffin shots.

Glenn

Excellent bird shots Glenn
Seems to me that the OMD is perfect for bird shots - I'd love to have a go with one of the longer Leica lenses (MF is not such a problem I'd say).
Excellent anyway.

all the best
Thanks, glad you like them. I've just bought an OM Zuiko 200mm f4 prime off ebay, haven't got it yet but looking forward to owning a 400mm f4 stabilised lens for £67! I'm also watching an OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5.

Glenn

Glenn,

One of the highlights of my trip to Iceland was a visit to see the puffins high on a cliff bringing back food to the young ones. So. I'm always drawn to puffin shots.

Thanks Terry, here's another Puffin for you:

jonoslack

The OMD with the Leica R 80-200 f4

Well Brian - you did ask!

I think the point of the OMD with these big lenses is really threefold:

1. you don't have to stop down to meter or focus
2. the grip makes handling really good
3. the IBIS smooths both the viewfinder and the IQ

one could wish for focus peaking - but it wouldn't make up for the rest.

all the best

Brian Mosley

Thanks Jono, it's not as big as I expected... quite manageable really, and the results you've shown are sublime.

Cheers

Brian

Tim

Has anyone got any samples or has tried the Panasonic 14-45mm lens (metal mount version) on the OMD. Any reason why it shouldn't be a good lens on there?

Terry

Jim - I like the shot a lot but check the sharpening (straight lines on sax look like jaggies) Could be an issue with flickr compressing things.

m_driscoll

Yesterday in the Palouse. Not as crowded as you might think. :D

Panasonic 45-175mm; 85mm; 1/500s @ f/7.1; ISO 800

Panasonic 45-175mm; 45mm; 1/160s @ f/5.6; ISO 2000

Panasonic 45-175mm; 45mm; 1/250s @ f/4; ISO 3200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 45mm; 1/100s @ f/4; ISO 3200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 45mm; 1/20s @ f/4; ISO 3200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 85mm; 1/500s @ f/7.1; ISO 800

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll