The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Terry

I notice that in all of these photos the 2 part grip is being used. I was hoping to not use it if I succumb after Photokina. With something like the PL 25/1.4 (I'm rarely a tele shooter though the 12-35/2.8 may be on my wish list for larger lens)would you feel it still would be better ergonomically with the grip?? IQ think I might like the grip but ot the battery/portrait part. I shot with a grip for many years on a DSLR so do know the advantages.
For the smaller lenses you don't really need the grip. For larger and heavier (Leica) it is very handy. Like you I thought I would only use one part grip. I prefer either no grip or full grip not just half. Half changes the way you hold the camera just enough for me not to like it.

jonoslack

I notice that in all of these photos the 2 part grip is being used. I was hoping to not use it if I succumb after Photokina. With something like the PL 25/1.4 (I'm rarely a tele shooter though the 12-35/2.8 may be on my wish list for larger lens)would you feel it still would be better ergonomically with the grip?? IQ think I might like the grip but ot the battery/portrait part. I shot with a grip for many years on a DSLR so do know the advantages.
Hi Diane
Mostly I use the half grip with larger lenses, but the full grip looks better in snaps of the camera with R lenses :). With the kit lens and anything smaller I don't use the grip at all. I think the ergonomics are best with the naked camera. I don't think I'd use it with the 12-35.
All the best

m_driscoll

Matt, nice series! Steptoe Butte I found really deceptive at sunset. You are high enough up to get some cool shadow and interesting terrain but for the most part it seems too high. As the sun drops the shadows actually start to become overwhelming and encroach too much on the shots. You lose perspective that those are big hills down there and the ground level seems to go to flat light well before the actual sunset. I wish we had gone down from Steptoe early and chased the light on the hills.

We were based in Colfax so your Applebee's was a step up from the options in town - Subway.
Terry: Thanks. I agree with you. I think the lighting effect of the sunset was stronger down lower then it would have been at Steptoe. As a 'photo' op site, I think Steptoe's over-rated. Cool views, though. We ate breakfast at the Top Notch, Monday, on the way in, and had lunch at the espresso/sandwich place across the street on the way out. Missed the Subway!

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

m_driscoll

The Palouse.

Panasonic 45-175mm; 175mm; 1/500s @ f/5.6; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 52mm; 1/800s @ f/4.5; -1 EV; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 77mm; 1/800s @ f/4.8; -1 EV; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 54mm; 1/40s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 45mm; 1/40s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 45mm; 1/100s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

Panasonic 45-175mm; 45mm; 1/50s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Paratom

Hi Diane
Mostly I use the half grip with larger lenses, but the full grip looks better in snaps of the camera with R lenses :). With the kit lens and anything smaller I don't use the grip at all. I think the ergonomics are best with the naked camera. I don't think I'd use it with the 12-35.
All the best
I always use the grip even when using the Pana 20mm lens and feel the camera sits much better in my hand. the only disadvantage I see is that the second wheel (which I have set for exp comp) is not so good to reach.

Terry

Terry: Thanks. I agree with you. I think the lighting effect of the sunset was stronger down lower then it would have been at Steptoe. As a 'photo' op site, I think Steptoe's over-rated. Cool views, though. We ate breakfast at the Top Notch, Monday, on the way in, and had lunch at the espresso/sandwich place across the street on the way out. Missed the Subway!

Cheers, Matt
Top Notch was my favorite spot in town.

Agree on Steptoe being overrated EXCEPT if you have very clear atmosphere and a long lens to pick out scenes. I was shooting with the 100-300 at 300 for a number of shots. I didn't post this shot before because I wasn't thrilled with the color and the overall way it turned out. However if you google Palouse you will see this tree in a few different Palouse photos and realize how much the people "went to town" on their processing.

http://blog.commercialfineart.com/2011/04/lone-tree-palouse-hills-washington-by-chip-phillips/

http://kevinmcneal.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/using-filters-to-overcome-the-challenges-of-the-palouse/

Last edited:

Jonas

The Palouse.

Matt, that image made me sit and look for a while, and then scroll up and down again. Good stuff.

(...)I didn't post this shot before because I wasn't thrilled with the color and the overall way it turned out. However (...)

Lone Tree, Palouse Hills, Washington by Chip Phillips : Commercial Fine Art Blog | Luxury Landscape Nature Wildlife Fine Art Photography
Good stuff. I see what you mean with your comment on processed images. Beautiful landscape though, and well captured.

jonoslack

Busy recently - and the weather has been horrible. Still, the OMD got a real weather test today - thunder and pouring rain - camera and lens seem fine so far.

Here are a couple of shots:

above all with the 12-50 kit lens

After much wide angle anguish, I seem to have got the 9-18 - seems okay so far:

f6cvalkyrie

We were extremely lucky yesterday, while visiting the zoo... no rain, some sunshine, and not too bad temperatures (20°C)

Today is another day, so I'm working on some pics of a friend who finished high-school ...

Here's a story from the zoo ...

"I may look smart, but I am but a stupid lion ..."

"I have it "in the mil" "

"my mum knows better"

"stupid me ! hunting pigeons ..."

C U,
Rafael