The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

cjlacz

Thanks for the nice comments. I've never shot with a lens at this length and fast aperture, so still trying to figure it out. I'm not a bokeh person, but you've got to try it out if you get this lens.

Only the first photo is at 1.8. The others in order are 2.8, 2.5 and 4. You can still get a decent blurred background even at some higher settings. These were with the OM-D, at on a bright day at the beach ISO 200 and 1/4000s of a second isn't always fast enough to get 1.8, but I could of dropped all of these a little over a stop looking at the shutter speeds.

It really is a beautiful lens. Sometimes it seems to have a little problem focusing, but that was at the festival a couple nights ago, very very dark. I did buy the hood too. I didn't realize it was so much until I got home, but it's solid metal and feels like it would protect the lens better than a screw in one. I like it and it's old school feel. I've been using it without the grip just fine, but I can see where you may want it. I'll try to post some more, but probably nothing like the girl at the moment.

Braeside

Charles, that 75/1.8 looks great.
Carl, Konica seems sharp with good contest.
Glenn, where is that?
Mike, Like #2 especially.

Still loving the OM-D kit lens.

Hosermage

Hanged out with the neighbors today and caught a nice moment of her and her daughter. Shot with PL25 with ND-filter and some cropping:

jonoslack

Lovely shots everyone.
More later - in haste now. However, my OMD was put through it's paces over the weekend - a whole' day's rain and mud, with it and the P 12-35 slung over a wet shoulder - then nights in a steamy humid tent.

All went well - more pictures later, but we did have fun!

all the best

jonoslack

Taken from the same location with the Pana 100-300@300mm:

P7070073 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr
HI Amin
I think this is really telling - most of the photogs at Latitude hand D3s or D700s, many with the Nikon 200-400 zoom . . . what a huge package to carry around all day! Their only advantage I can see would have been much better C-AF (important for sport, but not so much for other events).

incidentally, did you find it better focusing with S_AF rather than continuous?

Last edited:

jonoslack

The first time that I had the OM-D in the studio ...

Shooting in a workshop setting with a model that was not really my style in a posing setting that I really don't like, but the studio owner needed a spot filled due to a last minute cancel, and I got a deal .... such a rough life ...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12635071/P7120792.jpg
( No Naughty bits hanging out, but still NSFW )

The full set can be found at:

http://www.private.jonesii.net/2012%2007%2012%20Sarah/index.html

user = Guest ( capital G matters )
pass = matrix.

This was under hot lights, and not at all what I shoot normally, the 25/45/9-18 trio did a really good job. Way fun shooting with such a light rig. IQ is at least as good as if not better than D300 with good Nikon glass. However, the P30+ is in a different league!

Dave
HI There Dave
That was an invigorating view on a Monday lunchtime!
Hard to tell with small, web based images. It just bears out the general view which seems to be developing that the OMD with the µ43 glass gets the job done.
all the best

DavidL

Lovely shots everyone.
More later - in haste now. However, my OMD was put through it's paces over the weekend - a whole' day's rain and mud, with it and the P 12-35 slung over a wet shoulder - then nights in a steamy humid tent.

All went well - more pictures later, but we did have fun!

all the best
Looks like you had to Slurry up to get the shots, sorry:facesmack: Worth it though:clap:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like fun being in England, Jono. Unfortunately, on my recent visit to your somewhat humid island, although I recognise the weather, I didn't see anybody who dressed like the people in your photos. I guess it was some special occasion then ;)