The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Shallow water reflection with 12-50. Almost straight OOC.
A disjointed combination of individually interesting elements. To paraphrase a Russian mathematician, "Photography is very easy! The only difficulties are light and composition." :banghead:

--Matt

Last edited:

RavenMad

Took this wondering around the charming ye-olde-worlde of Hahndorf (South Australia) on a dismal winter afternoon:

This is my beautiful better half, Holly, practicing her cello. Taken hand-held in dim lighting at ISO 6400 at F/9 1/8th! (desaturated and minimal unsharp mask applied in post) I freaking love this camera! :D

PerThorup

A couple from wet wet Denmark..

2 From my garden - OMD with 45/1,8

and 2 of a new work of art called 'Echo'

Regards
Per

MGrayson

I really like the 45/1.8..

Although the 12-50 has that macro thing going for it..

--Matt

MGrayson

David,

Yes, it's tempting to go for too much separation, but even at f/4 or so, I just like the look of the 45mm. Over in Canon land, there were endless debates over the 85/1.2 vs. the 85/1.8 at any aperture above f/2 - were they the same? Was the cheaper lens better? etc. etc. I always liked the bigger lens's look, but it may be that I was just impressed with that huge chunk of glass.

Not surprisingly, I have the 75/1.8 on order :cool:

Best,

Matt

Diane B

I've considered adding the 45/1.8 also but know I wouldn't carry both and I've had and liked the 45/2.8 macro for several years. I am not a macro shooter per se but I do like closeups and the Panny Leica does a fine job. Still, I was surprised how well the little 12-50 does in macro for that kind of shooting.

MGrayson

The problem with the 45mm is the min focus distance.
Terry,

I couldn't agree with you more, but at its size and overall performance, I think it will have a permanent spot in the backpack. If the 45 could do macro, I'd get the 12 and 25 primes and leave the 12-50 at home.

Diane,

The 12-50 is an impressive combination with the OM-D's focusing capabilities. Well, this may not be a good example, as it focused on the leading edge of the flower, but:

and a 100% crop

Best,

Matt

Diane B

Matt, I love my 25 and before getting the EM5 I was carrying it and the 45/2.8 and debating what to do at the wider end (I do have the ZD9-18). The 12-50 surprised me a bit as I had planned to sell it. In my bag for the present for the 12 and sometimes just it and the 25 for a very small kit.

Thanks for the 12-50 crop of macro. I'm just about to upload to Ipad to look at one from 12-50 and 45/2.8 of same object.

Diane

Braeside

I guess they really made the 45/1.8 as a portrait lens where it's min focus is right for head shots. Normally real macro lenses are a bit slower in terms of aperture and focus speed, so I prefer the 45/1.8 for its properties and I have the 12-50 for close up as well as the 12-35/2.8. I know how annoying longer MFD can be though, for example with M lenses.
Not sure if I need or want the 75/1.8, it's not a focal length that I would use a lot, but it does look to be very nice indeed from the samples seen so far. Trying fairly unsuccessfully to restrict the number of lenses I accumulate!

scho

I guess they really made the 45/1.8 as a portrait lens where it's min focus is right for head shots. Normally real macro lenses are a bit slower in terms of aperture and focus speed, so I prefer the 45/1.8 for its properties and I have the 12-50 for close up as well as the 12-35/2.8. I know how annoying longer MFD can be though, for example with M lenses.
Not sure if I need or want the 75/1.8, it's not a focal length that I would use a lot, but it does look to be very nice indeed from the samples seen so far. Trying fairly unsuccessfully to restrict the number of lenses I accumulate!
+1, but I'm determined to see if I can survive with two zooms and one prime.:)

MGrayson

With the big Canons, I got lazy and ended up carrying just the 24-105/4 and the 70-200/2.8. Sometimes the 50 macro, as it's small and light. I can see something similar happening here: 12-35/2.8, some macro, and a longer zoom, if it ever gets released. The 12-35 has a very nice look, although I tend to shoot stopped down landscapes at those focal lengths. At some point, I have to see how the 12-50 and the 12-35 differ at f/8 in the 14mm range.

Of course, I'll end up with all of them. It's a question when and in what order. :ROTFL:

--Matt

MGrayson

Rain overnight. Flowers. Macro lens. I see where this is going...

It's ridiculous to be shooting hand-held macros. Choosing a focus point is difficult, but it shouldn't be even remotely possible!

Best,

Matt

jonoslack

Rain overnight. Flowers. Macro lens. I see where this is going...

It's ridiculous to be shooting hand-held macros. Choosing a focus point is difficult, but it shouldn't be even remotely possible!

Best,

Matt
HI Matt
I've been doing the same today (snaps later). 300 (read 600mm) hand held at 1/200th second and pin sharp. Actually, I've not found focus too hard either, using the small focus point.

It's just such good fun, and the results are absolutely fine.